DMN: Cowboys would have already won a SB if I was coaching them

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Kevin Kelley wants to be a Cowboy. Would love to get this crazy guy on the staff somewhere.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...y-won-a-super-bowl-if-i-was-coaching-them.ece

lostar2009

Reaction score
His approach will not work at the NFL level. Going for 4th downs and inside kicks all the time would make him lose the field position battles.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
His approach will not work at the NFL level. Going for 4th downs and inside kicks all the time would make him lose the field position battles.

Not according to analytics. And many said the same would not work at the HS level either.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Damn... this guy is a little off his rocker.

If he were coaching Greg Hardy, there would probably be a shift in the space-time continuum resulting in any number of glitches in reality.

Having said that, If I were Dallas, I might hire him as an offensive coach and see how it goes. Maybe even special teams.

Reactions: BAT

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This is too radical for me.

I'd like some wrinkles added to the offense so we aren't so bland and predictable but this is taking it too far.

Let a team like the Raiders test out this theory.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I don't buy this gimmick crap. Too much of football is situational to stick to a single philosophy no matter what.

Let's say you're up by 4 with 20 seconds left and it's 4th down and you're backed up at your own 10 yard line. If you punt you'll leave them about 12 seconds to score from 60 yards away. If you go for it you'll leave them with 16 seconds to score from 10 yards away. And just for giggles let's say the Super Bowl is on the line.

Do you stick to your gimmick philosophy?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't buy this gimmick crap. Too much of football is situational to stick to a single philosophy no matter what.

Let's say you're up by 4 with 20 seconds left and it's 4th down and you're backed up at your own 10 yard line. If you punt you'll leave them about 12 seconds to score from 60 yards away. If you go for it you'll leave them with 16 seconds to score from 10 yards away. And just for giggles let's say the Super Bowl is on the line.

Do you stick to your gimmick philosophy?

Not just that but odds change based on the team you are facing. That is what kills me about these stats it treats all teams as equals and there is nothing equal about them. There are some great defense out there that is you are going for it on 4th down you will lose that battle.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Damn... this guy is a little off his rocker.

If he were coaching Greg Hardy, there would probably be a shift in the space-time continuum resulting in any number of glitches in reality.

Having said that, If I were Dallas, I might hire him as an offensive coach and see how it goes. Maybe even special teams.

Jimmy was an out of the box thinker and many thought his philosophies would only work at college level. Landry was completely off his rocker and was introducing new concepts left and right. Those guys seem to be pretty good. Like Jimmy and Landry, Kelley has proved his insanity can be successful.

Kelley is like a mad scientist and constantly tinkering with schemes, data and ideas. Oops, that is Bellichick's nick name.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Jimmy was an out of the box thinker and many thought his philosophies would only work at college level. Landry was completely off his rocker and was introducing new concepts left and right. Those guys seem to be pretty good. Like Jimmy and Landry, Kelley has proved his insanity can be successful.

Kelley is like a mad scientist and constantly tinkering with schemes, data and ideas. Oops, that is Bellichick's nick name.

It would just be cool to be able to say that our Kelley was even more insane than Philly's.

lostar2009

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see it tried.

Yeah but I look at it like this. There is a reason why your punting on 4th down. If you had a highly efficient offense I would say yeah but a typical NFL club no.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but I look at it like this. There is a reason why your punting on 4th down. If you had a highly efficient offense I would say yeah but a typical NFL club no.

I could see almost always doing it if the needed yardage was small. Doing it on 4th and 10 would be stupid.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not a gimmick. He's playing probabilities, that's all.

If I were GM of a perennial doormat like the Skins or the Jags, I'd be all over this. If nothing else, fans would love watching you suck. It'd be really entertaining for the league.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
When I coach, I have a different mentality but I'm pretty aggressive. We NEVER punt oncthe other side of the 50. If it's 4th and 12 on their 45? Going for it. Always punt on 4th down on our side of the field.

DallasInDC

Reaction score

If I were GM of a perennial doormat like the Skins or the Jags, I'd be all over this. If nothing else, fans would love watching you suck. It'd be really entertaining for the league.

The skins tried that once....it was called the Spurrier era.....it didn't go so well for them....but I did find it very entertaining. Now that I think about it. Chip Kelly's preseason results looked a lot like Spurrier's.....hmmm.

Garrettop

Reaction score
There's very good reasoning and numbers behind almost never punting. 4th and long on your side of the field? Sure, punt it. Otherwise? Nah. Offenses are so advantaged now that a shift of 30 yds in field position is only a couple of plays from being wiped out, and your offense has a better chance, generally speaking, of getting 5 yds than your defense does of not giving up 30.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

For like one season maybe. Lol