DMN: Cowboys would have already won a SB if I was coaching them

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Teams absolutely should go for it on 4th more often. Often times deciding not to go for it and punting away only to gain 10 yards of field position. Drives me insane.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL. I was just leveling the flooring, bill is in the mail. Even gave you a discount. :D

In fairness, that altar gets so much traffic, it's no wonder the floor wobbles.

It's mostly from my fat kids, I think.

Reactions: BAT

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I like Will McClay. I just don't bow at his altar. I bow at no man's altar actually. I question everything and encourage everyone else do so, in a respectful manner. I won't have anyone forming my opinions or making my decisions. Besides, it was only a suggestion, mostly tongue in cheek. I am a bit surprised by some of the venom and obstinance of the responses.

Just so you know, there was no venom in my response. And it's not about bowing at McClay's alter, but he is the Cowboys analytics expert and I just believe he would not have left that possibility unexplored if it were viable. I could be wrong and I'm okay with that. If you were equally okay with the possibility of being wrong every once in a while, perhaps you wouldn't perceive so many of these responses quite so venomous.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Just so you know, there was no venom in my response. And it's not about bowing at McClay's alter, but he is the Cowboys analytics expert and I just believe he would not have left that possibility unexplored if it were viable. I could be wrong and I'm okay with that. If you were equally okay with the possibility of being wrong every once in a while, perhaps you wouldn't perceive so many of these responses quite so venomous.

Hey I make lots of mistakes, every day. But I look at it as another opportunity to improve myself. And you are absolutely correct, I can't be right all the time. The point of the thread was not being right however, it is being open to new ideas. And I should have been clear, yours was not the venomous response, it was the obstinate one. :D

erod

Reaction score
Sort of like what happened to Jimmy his first 2 seasons in the NFL. He had to bring in players that not just fit his system, but bought into his philosophy on how to win. Not saying Kelley's ideas are all going to work, but being a trailblazer takes just as much patience as courage, especially in the face of adversity. There were people burned at the stake for saying the world was round, or that the earth was not the center of the universe. Truth changes when light (new discoveries) is shined upon it.

Is football so evolved that there are no more new ideas or concepts to improve it?

It doesn't take a trailblazer to go for it on fourth and down and onside kick every time.

It takes an inbred Arkansas egomaniac.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Hey I make lots of mistakes, every day. But I look at it as another opportunity to improve myself. And you are absolutely correct, I can't be right all the time. The point of the thread was not being right however, it is being open to new ideas. And I should have been clear, yours was not the venomous response, it was the obstinate one. :D

That may be my favorite reply of all time. I sincerely thank you for your candidness and moxy.

erod

Reaction score
Teams absolutely should go for it on 4th more often. Often times deciding not to go for it and punting away only to gain 10 yards of field position. Drives me insane.

I completely agree with this, especially if you have a bad defense. A few years ago when the Cowboys defense was putrid, it drove me insane to see Dallas punting on 4th and 2 at the opponents 45 yard line. There was a MUCH better chance of getting the two yards than stopping the other team from getting to its 45 yard line. They went up and own the field on Dallas.

However, now I see the logic of punting, depending on the team and situation for sure. The Cowboys defense can actually stop teams now, and offenses struggle against good defenses badly when they're backed up on their goal line.

But with this offense, 4th down in plus territory with 5 yards or less should always be considered to go for it. In fact, I'm a fan of the run on 3rd and 6 or more with the idea that you're going for it on 4th down anyway.

But this yahoo doesn't want to punt almost ever no matter what. He'd be the first head coach to take a 100-point beating, I guarantee you.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
I could see the advantage in high school with the wider hash marks, kick offs at the 40, and most of the punters average at that level is small in comparison to college and pros. But it's hard to imagine that style being successfull in the pro's but I agree with others that it would be entertaining to watch.

brymatt94

Reaction score
For me it's not so much his risk taking strategy, he just seems...off overall. Doesn't seem like a guy who would be able to handle the rigors of the NFL or even the FBS for that matter.

T-RO

Reaction score
His approach will not work at the NFL level. Going for 4th downs and inside kicks all the time would make him lose the field position battles.

You simply don't get it. That downside is already factored into the math.

T-RO

Reaction score
His concepts and numbers are flawed. This is a good way to be down by 40 points at halftime.

Take what happens to Chip Kelly's teams as the season wears on, then multiple it by 100.

Your lack of understanding Chip Kelly is going to prove embarrassing.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score

DandyDon52

Reaction score
When envisaging what his dream job would be, Kelley said, without hesitation, the Dallas Cowboys:

"We'd have already won a Super Bowl if I was coaching them. I love the Cowboys. My love of the game of football, honestly, kept me from committing suicide growing up. I had a horrible childhood growing up, but the one thing that I always had was the Dallas Cowboys. Every Sunday, I'd put on my little helmet and sit in front of the TV to watch the Cowboys."

When asked to assess Cowboys coach Jason Garrett, Kelley said he "isn't forward-thinking, doesn't play the psychological game well, and doesn't hold his players accountable enough. You can't win like that."

If Jerry Jones would hire him, he continued, Kelley would even be unorthodox with his contract, working for what would be a meager base salary for an NFL coach ($100K) that was incentive-laden ($100K per win).

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I saw a show on you tube last year, and I thought it was a houston HS coach, but it may have been this guy.
Thing is when you kick nothing but onside kicks, and go for most 4th downs, the players get used to it, but the teams they play
are not used to it.
It also helps to have some good 4th down plays your team can execute good.
there isnt any timeouts or delays that allow a team to prepare for you going for it on 4th like in NFL.

yimyammer

Reaction score
The inbred just snapped Highland Academy's 84 home game winning streak with a 40-13 win.

FYI-small nitpick, its Highland Park High School (not Academy), its a pretty good football team in the top district in the state of Texas (6A - District 10--I'm pretty sure this part is accurate, someone correct me if I'm wrong please).

Also, Matthew Stafford played there.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
FYI-small nitpick, its Highland Park High School (not Academy), its a pretty good football team in the top district in the state of Texas (6A - District 10--I'm pretty sure this part is accurate, someone correct me if I'm wrong please).

Thanks...Im not very familiar with Texas HS football other than Friday Night Lights. Probably saw Academy show up somewhere and assumed it was an elite athletic private school which are usually Academy's in TN and CA.

Plankton

Reaction score
to all those in favour of it, I would pay to see your reaction if he went for it on 4th down in a tie game from his own 20 with under two to go, didn't get the first down and we lost by a FG. This site would explode, hell it would probably destroy the internet.

I think we have seen that take place before.

Smith-95-Eagles-Cowboys.jpg

Aven8

Reaction score

Yep. So did Clayton Kershaw arguably the best pitcher in baseball. They haven't lost at home since 1999!

I heard the Arkansas school pushed them around. They should go up 75 and play Allen next. They would get smoked.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Yep. So did Clayton Kershaw arguably the best pitcher in baseball. They haven't lost at home since 1999!

I heard the Arkansas school pushed them around. They should go up 75 and play Allen next. They would get smoked.

I'd like to see them play Allen. I dropped the ball the game last night is right down the street from me and I didn't know about it until it was too late, would have been fun to watch