News: DMN: Cowlishaw: Why the Cowboys don't need to take a RB high in the NFL draft

dallasdave

Reaction score
SportsDay columnist Tim Cowlishaw, author of Drunk on Sports and co-host of "The Afternoon Show with Cowlishaw and Mosley" on KESN-FM 103.3, hosted a chat Thursday to talk all things sports. Here are some of the highlights:

Question: Can you see the Cowboys making an offer for a big-name running back like Matt Forte or Arian Foster and platoon them with Darren McFadden?

Cowlishaw: No. I would say if Forte's not declining, he will be soon. Foster might be damaged goods. You can platoon a 3rd or 4th round pick with McFadden and have success with this O-Line. I know others who want them to draft Ezekiel Elliott of Ohio State or other backs high in the draft. I don't see that as a need at all.

Question: The Cowboys get no push from the defensive tackles. Is there no Dontari Poe-like individual in this year's draft? A push up the middle will make any defensive back look better.

Cowlishaw: For about $27 million guaranteed, I think Tyrone Crawford is supposed to provide a bit of a push. The top defensive players in the draft are ends (that's usually the case) so I don't see the Cowboys taking a DT at 4 but it doesn't mean they won't seek help at the position later. Or in free agency.

Question: If Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa falls to the fourth pick, do the Cowboys game him?

Cowlishaw: The Ohio State DE is listed at No. 1 in most of the mocks I have seen including Kiper's today. If he has fallen to 4, I want to know why he's falling before I draft him.

Question: I'm reading the Cowboys are trying to keep their defensive backs coach, Jerome Henderson. Are no coaching heads going to roll after this disastrous season? Has this secondary shown you anything the past few years? Why keep him? Let him go!

Coiwlishaw: You make a good point. Cowboys can't afford to lose Jerome Henderson, these corners get 2 or 3 interceptions a season. Seems like an odd storyline to me. No, I don't think any heads are rolling. This 4-12 never happened. Pretty soon Jerry will have this season vacated.

Click here to read the full chat transcript.

Continue reading...

Could be like last year !!! No RB, well we saw how well that went !!!

TonyS

Reaction score
I'm with Cowlishaw here on the RB situation. RB seems like the position that holds its value pretty well until the 3rd/4th round and even some deeper gems if you have the scouting staff to find them. Not sure Dallas has that ability and don't really trust anything we do after Round 4, so we should get one by then as DMac shouldn't be trusted to go through the season and no one else behind him gives me the tingles. There are some tempting FAs that may hit the market as well. Don't need to risk a #1 on RB when we need help along the DLine and at the QB position, if the right guy falls to us.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
SportsDay columnist Tim Cowlishaw, author of Drunk on Sports and co-host of "The Afternoon Show with Cowlishaw and Mosley" on KESN-FM 103.3, hosted a chat Thursday to talk all things sports. Here are some of the highlights:

Question: Can you see the Cowboys making an offer for a big-name running back like Matt Forte or Arian Foster and platoon them with Darren McFadden?

Cowlishaw: No. I would say if Forte's not declining, he will be soon. Foster might be damaged goods. You can platoon a 3rd or 4th round pick with McFadden and have success with this O-Line. I know others who want them to draft Ezekiel Elliott of Ohio State or other backs high in the draft. I don't see that as a need at all.

I love this line of thinking.

We have McFadden. Just throw some 3rd or 4th round player there.

It is right there with the "anyone can run behind this line" nonsense.

Yes. They can. And it might be statistically impressive.

But in terms of winning games and controlling things the way a running game should, well.

I guess the general idea is to get all the shiny stats you can.

Just throw a 3rd or 4th at it.

If I am running this team, I look for an opportunity to add a young quality runner wherever I can. I don't sit there and designate what round I feel is "worth it".

Plankton

Reaction score

But in terms of winning games and controlling things the way a running game should, well.

If I am running this team, I look for an opportunity to add a young quality runner wherever I can. I don't sit there and designate what round I feel is "worth it".

So would you draft Ezekiel Elliott at #4? Or, base your picking in round 1 around positioning yourself to draft him?

Darren McFadden wasn't the reason the team went 4-12. It was far deeper than that.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So would you draft Ezekiel Elliott at #4?

If the idea is to build a team around the running game, yes, I would.

Just like I would take Treadwell if I felt the team needed to improve in the passing game.

But this idea that "we are set here" and let's just "throw a 3rd or4th at it" is idiotic.

You said the problems run deeper, they sure do.

There is not an area on this team outside of the starting five on the OL that is a foundation that is just off the table.

Practically all positions are open to improvement.

This team won four games.

Carson

Reaction score
So would you draft Ezekiel Elliott at #4? Or, base your picking in round 1 around positioning yourself to draft him?

Darren McFadden wasn't the reason the team went 4-12. It was far deeper than that.

It's hard to pull the trigger on Zeke at 4.

I would much rather spend the pick on a Treadwell, Buckner or Myles jack.

Henry could be sitting there in the 2nd round. People forget McFadden finished 4th in total rushing yards. Despite not starting until late in the season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm with Cowlishaw here on the RB situation. RB seems like the position that holds its value pretty well until the 3rd/4th round and even some deeper gems if you have the scouting staff to find them. Not sure Dallas has that ability and don't really trust anything we do after Round 4, so we should get one by then as DMac shouldn't be trusted to go through the season and no one else behind him gives me the tingles. There are some tempting FAs that may hit the market as well. Don't need to risk a #1 on RB when we need help along the DLine and at the QB position, if the right guy falls to us.

It for sure is a position that almost always has good talent later in the draft.
More so than others, IMO.

Can't ignore it though. We need help there. But no way I'd use the 4th pick. That's nuts...Again...imo.

Last edited:

sbark

Reaction score
That Rawls kid Seattle snagged as a FA sure would've looked good as a 7th rounder locked down on or roster............

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not going to be a popular opinion but it is the right one. 3rd or 4th round is where we should expect to draft one.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
2nd round is where RBs are at these days. 10-15 years ago they would have been solid 1st rounders, but now they're ripe for the picking in the 2nd round.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have no problem with that mentality unless the Cowboys decide to get cute again like they did in the last draft and keep hoping a RB they liked would fall to the next round and eventually not drafting a RB at all. Even to the tune of wanting Rawls and jumping back into the 7th round and instead of taking rawls...taking yet another TE.

So...don't try to get too cute and over think that a good RB you like is going to fall to you and if he does not in one round, keep skipping past it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Lost in all the *****ing about how we have to invest quality picks in a TB and avoid just throwing a 3rd or 4th round pick at a TB.............. the guy that some lost their lunch over us not re-signing, Murray, was a 3rd round pick.

So yeah, I don't buy the logic that we have to invest a 1st or 2nd round pick in a TB. Stick to the board. If you are drafting at 36 and the best player on your board is a TB, then take him. But don't go out of your way to draft a TB high.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

People over think the draft. Most times these people only pay attention to it now.

You acquire talent in the draft. You don't go into it thinking I'll take this position here and that position there. You would take an Elliott if you had him graded that high and the opportunity was there. That's simply the best you can do with each pick. You can't assume anything about later on in the process. You don't know what will be there. What's the best value with this pick? That's all that matter. What? We've got a few guys with equal value? Who's the better fit for our team? That's our guy.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
You don't need to draft a RB early because if you look at key metrics from this season, especially when McFadden became the starter and then even moreso when Turbin came into the fold....the rushing metrics were very similar to last season's despite no Romo and no Dez.

And that was with Leary getting hurt and trying to figure out what to do there for a few games and Collins still being green. We have far larger issues than RB at this point.

YR

tm1119

Reaction score
If the idea is to build a team around the running game, yes, I would.

Just like I would take Treadwell if I felt the team needed to improve in the passing game.

But this idea that "we are set here" and let's just "throw a 3rd or4th at it" is idiotic.

You said the problems run deeper, they sure do.

There is not an area on this team outside of the starting five on the OL that is a foundation that is just off the table.

Practically all positions are open to improvement.

This team won four games.

You're pretending like that mentality hasn't spread across the NFL when it comes to the RB position. 3rd or 4th rounder is more like 2nd or 3rd when you factor that there will most likely only be 1 rb drafted in the 1st round. Where we are picking at the top of the 3rd round you are still talking about getting 1 of the top 5 or 6 RB's in this draft class. You can't think of a mid round RB like you would most other positions.

And then there's the simple matter of going down the rushing leader list from this year and realizing that you can a running back from almost anywhere