News: DMN: Cowlishaw: Why the Cowboys don't need to take a RB high in the NFL draft

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I'm not saying take Elliott at 4 because in reality you can trade down a few slots and still snag him. Just saying i wouldn't be upset if he was the first player we selected in the 2016 draft.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I'm not saying take Elliott at 4 because in reality you can trade down a few slots and still snag him. Just saying i wouldn't be upset if he was the first player we selected in the 2016 draft.

In reality you can? How so?

It is not just as simple as doing that.

I think it is hilarious that people talk about trading down like it is so simple, mainly because they do not agree with the slot Player X would end up going to.

Oh, that's too high. He's really elite, but nobody else thinks so. We're smart. We can just trade down and pick up a two, three and next year's first and still get our guy!

This is not like playing Fantasy Football with some imbecile.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score

I think it is hilarious that people talk about trading down like it is so simple, mainly because they do not agree with the slot Player X would end up going to.

Oh, that's too high. He's really elite, but nobody else thinks so. We're smart. We can just trade down and pick up a two, three and next year's first and still get our guy!

You filling in blanks, you can always trade down if the price is right. Never said anything about an extra 1st or 2nd. Just saying an elite rb is worth our first pick. Only reason i wouldn't take him at the 4 is because someone would give us something of not much and he would probably still be their.

Alexander

Reaction score
You filling in blanks, you can always trade down if the price is right.

There are buyers and sellers. You need one team to covet the player to move up (buyer) and the other team feel they can get a number of equally valued prospects lower (seller) so their risk in moving down is minimal.

Draft choices are valued like gold most of the time, so unless there is a valuable player (at a select number of positions) available, things have to align for both parties to feel comfortable. And if you look at the top ten, it gets a lot more significant in terms of cost. Dallas ended up giving up a second round choice for the privilege of moving up to 6 to take Claiborne. Moving up into the top five is not an easy proposition. Somebody is going to take a hit, and it is usually the buyer.

That is hardly the same thing as saying "in reality, you can trade down a few spots and snag him".

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
There are buyers and sellers. You need one team to covet the player to move up (buyer) and the other team feel they can get a number of equally valued prospects lower (seller) so their risk in moving down is .

That's where we are getting crossed, you are assuming some preset value system. What I'm saying is for example i have tractor with a set market value but what i really need is a boat that has a lower market value. I can always sell the tractor below market value and buy the boat plus a trailer if the buyer of the tractor feels he is getting a steal. In this case market does set the value personal need does.

Alexander

Reaction score
That's where we are getting crossed, you are assuming some preset value system. What I'm saying is for example i have tractor with an set market value but what i really need is boat that has a lower market value. I can always sell the tractor below market value and buy the boat plus a trailer if a buyer of the tractor feels he is getting a steal. In this case market does set the value personal need does.

For the most part, teams are not going to move down in a draft unless they have a cluster of players they feel comfortable with and there has to be a team willing to move high up enough to meet at least a reasonable price in return. It is a two way street. Just because Team X wants to move down, how each team in between the parties is likely to react is going to drive the process.

A top five pick in practically any draft is not going to be sold below market value unless you have a very poor front office that does not know what it is doing in trades. Wait---

tyke1doe

Reaction score
SportsDay columnist Tim Cowlishaw, author of Drunk on Sports and co-host of "The Afternoon Show with Cowlishaw and Mosley" on KESN-FM 103.3, hosted a chat Thursday to talk all things sports. Here are some of the highlights:

Question: Can you see the Cowboys making an offer for a big-name running back like Matt Forte or Arian Foster and platoon them with Darren McFadden?

Cowlishaw: No. I would say if Forte's not declining, he will be soon. Foster might be damaged goods. You can platoon a 3rd or 4th round pick with McFadden and have success with this O-Line. I know others who want them to draft Ezekiel Elliott of Ohio State or other backs high in the draft. I don't see that as a need at all.

Shut up, Cowlick!!!

Where's that Batman and Robin meme? I'd like to put in the Robin word bubble "The Cowboys don't need to draft a running back high" followed by Batman slapping his face saying "Shut up!"

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Now why you wanna go burst our fantasy bubble?

Mr. Killjoy. :mad: :(;):)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
For the most part, teams are not going to move down in a draft unless they have a cluster of players they feel comfortable with and there has to be a team willing to move high up enough to meet at least a reasonable price in return. It is a two way street. Just because Team X wants to move down, how each team in between the parties is likely to react is going to drive the process.

A top five pick in practically any draft is not going to be sold below market value unless you have a very poor front office that does not know what it is doing in trades. Wait---

I :laugh:ed.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
If the idea is to build a team around the running game, yes, I would.

Just like I would take Treadwell if I felt the team needed to improve in the passing game.

But this idea that "we are set here" and let's just "throw a 3rd or4th at it" is idiotic.

You said the problems run deeper, they sure do.

There is not an area on this team outside of the starting five on the OL that is a foundation that is just off the table.

Practically all positions are open to improvement.

This team won four games.

You do know its possible Elliot isnt the best back, right?

Alexander

Reaction score
You do know its possible Elliot isnt the best back, right?

If I am guessing right now it is a two horse race between Elliott and Henry.

And I think Elliott will end up getting the better grades when it is all said and done. He is pretty complete. He can run, catch and pass block.

I am not hardcore on definitely having him, there are others that I like as well (Dixon, Collins).

But if you want a stud back, you better not wait too long.

Once you get past players like these four plus Perkins and Booker, there is a big drop off in terms of all around skill set.

We are in a good position picking as high as we do in the first and second round to get the first to third or fourth best prospect at quite a few positions with our first two choices. There are not a lot of positions that look like they will dominate the first round.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
If I am guessing right now it is a two horse race between Elliott and Henry.

And I think Elliott will end up getting the better grades when it is all said and done. He is pretty complete. He can run, catch and pass block.

I am not hardcore on definitely having him, there are others that I like as well (Dixon, Collins).

But if you want a stud back, you better not wait too long.

Once you get past players like these four plus Perkins and Booker, there is a big drop off in terms of all around skill set.

We are in a good position picking as high as we do in the first and second round to get the first to third or fourth best prospect at quite a few positions with our first two choices. There are not a lot of positions that look like they will dominate the first round.

Perkins is the best imo. There are others who will be good pros as well.