News: DMN: Cowlishaw: Why the Cowboys don't need to take a RB high in the NFL draft

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People over think the draft. Most times these people only pay attention to it now.

You acquire talent in the draft. You don't go into it thinking I'll take this position here and that position there. You would take an Elliott if you had him graded that high and the opportunity was there. That's simply the best you can do with each pick. You can't assume anything about later on in the process. You don't know what will be there. What's the best value with this pick? That's all that matter. What? We've got a few guys with equal value? Who's the better fit for our team? That's our guy.

Unless he is a DB?

I keed...I Keed

Aven8

Reaction score
I don't get the Dmac Demarco comparisons at all. Yes Dmac did an admirable job, but Murray was a punisher. Our team rallied around that in 14 and we became a physical football team because of the way he ran.

Jerry's right, any RB could probably run behind this line. But if they want that winning formula back they need to find a thumber that can score TD'S!

Btw, Randle played 4 games or so and had 4 TD'S, Dmac played the majority of the season, over 1k yards, and onlyhas 3 TD'S!! Awful.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I know it's trendy to not value running backs high in drafts. They don't last long and they're a dime a dozen. There are absolutely not five more talented football players in this draft than Elliot. They'd catch hell from everyone, but if the Cowboys took Elliot at the fourth pick, it wouldn't ruffle my feathers at all.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'd lose my ****. Would be a terrible waste of resources.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get the Dmac Demarco comparisons at all. Yes Dmac did an admirable job, but Murray was a punisher. Our team rallied around that in 14 and we became a physical football team because of the way he ran.

Jerry's right, any RB could probably run behind this line. But if they want that winning formula back they need to find a thumber that can score TD'S!

Btw, Randle played 4 games or so and had 4 TD'S, Dmac played the majority of the season, over 1k yards, and onlyhas 3 TD'S!! Awful.

And that's a valid criticism.

I'm not interested in doing the research I wonder how many carries McFadden had inside the 10 as opposed to Murray the year before... I'm thinking there's probably a big difference. As far as the Randle # of TD's he did have the advantage of having Romo for nearly 2 of those game... and the offense certainly looked better.

Sydla

Reaction score
Unless he was the focal point of our offense then it would be well worth it. How valuable a player's impact should be considered when evaluating him.

A TB will never be the focal point of a successful offense in the NFL. Peterson comes the closest but he's on another level than an Elliott.

The value in the 4th pick, IMO, would be higher in a trade back to get more picks than taking Elliott at 4.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
If the idea is to build a team around the running game, yes, I would.

Just like I would take Treadwell if I felt the team needed to improve in the passing game.

But this idea that "we are set here" and let's just "throw a 3rd or4th at it" is idiotic.

You said the problems run deeper, they sure do.

There is not an area on this team outside of the starting five on the OL that is a foundation that is just off the table.

Practically all positions are open to improvement.

This team won four games.

This.

With Romo this offense is very good. With a stud RB, this offense is elite.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you want to take a TB in the first, then trade back. Taking a TB at 4 is a complete and utter reach.

Again, the "stud" TB from 2014 was a 3rd round pick. You don't have to use your first rounder on a TB to fix the running game.

Plankton

Reaction score
If the idea is to build a team around the running game, yes, I would.

Just like I would take Treadwell if I felt the team needed to improve in the passing game.

But this idea that "we are set here" and let's just "throw a 3rd or4th at it" is idiotic.

You said the problems run deeper, they sure do.

There is not an area on this team outside of the starting five on the OL that is a foundation that is just off the table.

Practically all positions are open to improvement.

This team won four games.

Just because a position can be improved doesn't mean that you should use a top 5 pick on it. I love Elliott as a player, and he's by far the best RB in the draft. I said so before the season.

That being said, spending the 4th overall pick on him would be a poor use of premium draft position. They can draft him lower than that.

As far as I am concerned, here's what they can stand to use picks or FA acquisitions on:

QB (backup and the future)
RB (potential bellcow)
WR (need a speed receiver and a guy with reliable hands)
TE (just not in Round 2)
RT (not sold on Chaz Green - add a guy who can compete for the position, and at worst backup T and G)
DT (a guy who can take on double teams and collapse the pocket)
LB (speed and range needed)
CB (guys who can pick off a ball once in a while)
S (someone who can play)

Literally every area of the team. To me, QB should be the goal with #4 - they may not get a shot this high for a while, and need to take advantage of it.

Hardline

Reaction score
Elliot in the first
Henry in the second
And Collins in the third. :yourock:

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I want Andrew Billings and and Carson Wentz. I'd like to turn that #4 pick into multiple mid-1st round picks.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I know it's trendy to not value running backs high in drafts. They don't last long and they're a dime a dozen. There are absolutely not five more talented football players in this draft than Elliot. They'd catch hell from everyone, but if the Cowboys took Elliot at the fourth pick, it wouldn't ruffle my feathers at all.

I love Zeke, complete back and safe pick insofar as he does everything well.

Will be interesting to find out where he is ranked on the Cowboys draft board because we know ultimately that is all that matters.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Not going to be a popular opinion but it is the right one. 3rd or 4th round is where we should expect to draft one.

Nope not popular you are right. Last year was the year to draft a RB in rds 3-5 this year it doesn't appear a very talented group coming out.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
A TB will never be the focal point of a successful offense in the NFL. Peterson comes the closest but he's on another level than an Elliott.

The value in the 4th pick, IMO, would be higher in a trade back to get more picks than taking Elliott at 4.

Elliot is overrated.

Good RB.. Yes. But he is getting boosted into the mid first round and that is just too rich for him imo.

The guy is a late first at best RB.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score

Elliott is not my first choice at the #4 spot. I would like for the Cowboys to come away with the QB (Goff or Lynch) of the future if possible. If not possible, I take Elliot at 4.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score

Disagree a running game IS the focal point of most successful offenses in the NFL. Teams dominate when they control the ball and to my knowledge the only way to do that is with a great running game. Just because it is trendy to minimize the importance of a elite running back if you have one or can get one it surely will impact what kind of team you have more so than any other position excluding QB.