News: DMN: Dane Brugler breaks down Ezekiel Elliott as a Cowboy; mid-to-late round possibilities for...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Nice article. Like the Dodd idea. He really did come on at the end of the year. Would love to have a center/guard/emerg T. Drake is a poor man's Zeke. Ok, so pretty poor but you get the idea.

I really think we will see a few backs used more like Faulk was in the next few years. I like this kind of back these days but they have got to be able to really run the ball well.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Very interesting read. Cowboys never seem to draft guys like Drake, would be surprised if they did. That would kinda make Dunbar somewhat expendable. Similar type of role. Unless they use Drake more for special teams, even WR.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
i can understand someone wanting to take a solid RB prospect this year, but with the way the cowboys have been treating the position lately, there's a better chance of me becoming a late-in-life chip-n-dales dancer than the cowboys taking any RB at 4.

i'm in the "go qb camp". if romo goes down can a rookie take the helm? well these days they have to. i don't see too many 1st round picks come in and sit anymore. if these qb's can do that then great, take one and let's boogie. if not, go D and take a later round qb we can let ease into the career at least by 2-3 games before romo goes to the most expensive clipboard holder in the world.

outside that we've got our smurf back there at #2 so he can drive for a few more games if necessary. but if romo goes down, coupled with this coaching staff, we're dead meat anyway. proven how many times last year? given that, get a qb and if romo goes down and garrett wiffs every game w/o him again, he WILL be gone and a new coach can come in and start us all over again.

and hopefully not take walsh in the supplimental draft again. but if we did...man the deja vu...

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
"I would love to see Ezekiel Elliott with the Cowboys, just because of the things he could do behind that offensive line, the way he would impact the offense.
Sure, as long as we've got a QB who can challenge a defense. Without that passing threat, teams will adjust and stop Elliott the same way they stopped Gurley last year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure, as long as we've got a QB who can challenge a defense. Without that passing threat, teams will adjust and stop Elliott the same way they stopped Gurley last year.

And if you're going to spend that kind of money on a running back, why didn't they do it in free agency when they could have and still had the #4 overall pick to use elsewhere?

It would truly be asinine to have passed on a top running back in free agency only to turn around and ultimately pay even more to a draft pick while having to give up your most valuable draft asset in years to do it.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
And if you're going to spend that kind of money on a running back, why didn't they do it in free agency when they could have and still had the #4 overall pick to use elsewhere?

It would truly be asinine to have passed on a top running back in free agency only to turn around and ultimately pay even more to a draft pick while having to give up your most valuable draft asset in years to do it.

given that logic looks like we're going RB then.

conner01

Reaction score
Nice article. Like the Dodd idea. He really did come on at the end of the year. Would love to have a center/guard/emerg T. Drake is a poor man's Zeke. Ok, so pretty poor but you get the idea.

I really think we will see a few backs used more like Faulk was in the next few years. I like this kind of back these days but they have got to be able to really run the ball well.

I think they seen how Dunbar worked last year before the injury and liked it. Wouldn't surprise me they look at that type of RB rather than a more power type back. It also helps if your 3rd or 4th RB can do something on special teams.
The one issue I have with Dodd is the talent around him. People point out that Bosa sacks were down last year after being very high the year before. The difference was having a pass rusher on the other side. Is Dodd more of a product of of fences picking their poison or a impact player on his own
Because I don't think Romo has many more years it's important if you are going to use a pick and just as important, a roster spot on a QB you better get one that has a high probability of developing.
My fear is taking a QB just to be taking a qb. Doesn't mean you have to take one at 4 although to me if one of the top 2 is there I would take him but just throwing a 3rd rnd pick at the position to me is most likely a wasted pick and a wasted roster spot

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
My fear is taking a QB just to be taking a qb. Doesn't mean you have to take one at 4 although to me if one of the top 2 is there I would take him but just throwing a 3rd rnd pick at the position to me is most likely a wasted pick and a wasted roster spot

I think they should take the chance at #4 if they believe there is a QB they believe can be Tony's heir and he's available.

I also agree wasting a pick on a project QB in the latter rounds would be pointless. Unless they are ready to be the backup now, why take one. It should be all or nothing with the QB prospect: draft him high or not at all.

Aven8

Reaction score

I get what your saying here and know you wanted Miller bad, but Miller couldn't carry Zeke's jock. We can still get our QB, and then go Henry in the 2nd and be set.

Sydla

Reaction score
I get what your saying here and know you wanted Miller bad, but Miller couldn't carry Zeke's jock. We can still get our QB, and then go Henry in the 2nd and be set.

One, you have no idea how Elliott will be in the NFL.

Two, even if Elliott is better than Miller, is he twice the guaranteed money better than Miller? I would suspect not.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'll agree to disagree on that. Miller's a proven commodity at the NFL level and I think he thrived despite running behind one of the league's worst offensive lines. Conversely, I think Elliott benefitted greatly by having huge holes repeatedly opened up for him in college.

And there's no talent disparity big enough to make it worth paying more money as well as sacrificing the #4 overall pick to do it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One, you have no idea how Elliott will be in the NFL.

Two, even if Elliott is better than Miller, is he twice the guaranteed money better than Miller? I would suspect not.

Don't forget the #4 overall pick as well.

Aven8

Reaction score
I'll agree to disagree on that. Miller's a proven commodity at the NFL level and I think he thrived despite running behind one of the league's worst offensive lines. Conversely, I think Elliott benefitted greatly by having huge holes repeatedly opened up for him in college.

And there's no talent disparity big enough to make it worth paying more money as well as sacrificing the #4 overall pick to do it.

I said go QB, and then Henry. And come on Stash Miller has not proven anything except 700 yard seasons, lets be honest here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I said go QB, and then Henry.

Well, we're in the same page with QB in the first round anyway!

:thumbup:

But I personally believe that - although Henry would be a nice get - the defense still needs more attention that adding another running back does.

And come on Stash Miller has not proven anything except 700 yard seasons, lets be honest here.

Let's also "be honest" enough to admit that he was arguably the most in-demand running back to hit the market and got a great contract right at the start of free agency. And that demand was based on his proven work.

Let's also "be honest" in admitting that not only was Miami's offensive line not good, but Miller's attempts were undercut by a coaching staff who were all fired as a result. From the pass-happy head coach, to the pass-happy offensive coordinator, to his pass-happy successor. They all got the boot and a major reason and wide-spread opinion why was that all failed to give Miller enough opportunities.

Aven8

Reaction score
What has Elliott proved?

That he's the best looking RB prospect to come out in years. And better than Gurley IMO. Meyer said he's the best player he's ever been around without the ball in his hands, which says a lot with the talent he's had.

As I've said I want a QB, but it is tempting.

Sydla

Reaction score
That he's the best looking RB prospect to come out in years. And better than Gurley IMO. Meyer said he's the best player he's ever been around without the ball in his hands, which says a lot with the talent he's had.

As I've said I want a QB, but it is tempting.

It's debatable that he's better than Gurley. Urban Meyer also believed Tim Tebow was such a winner he'd be a big success in the NFL. So I wouldn't be taking what Meyer says about one of his players as gospel.