News: DMN: Dane Brugler breaks down Ezekiel Elliott as a Cowboy; mid-to-late round possibilities for...

DTown214

Reaction score
Dane really knows his stuff and I enjoy listening to him on the Cowboys Draft show. And yeah I agree with him on mostly everything. I'd love to have Elliott on the Cowboys but I have to admit that we'd probably be better off going defense at number 4. Our O-line is so good that the RB position isn't as big of a need. I just fear that the Eagles get Elliott and he kills us for the next 5-10 years.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Dane really knows his stuff and I enjoy listening to him on the Cowboys Draft show. And yeah I agree with him on mostly everything. I'd love to have Elliott on the Cowboys but I have to admit that we'd probably be better off going defense at number 4. Our O-line is so good that the RB position isn't as big of a need. I just fear that the Eagles get Elliott and he kills us for the next 5-10 years.

Bottom line is that if the Cowboys pick Elliott, it won't be at #4. The #4 pick receives $24M guaranteed on the rookie pay scale. The Cowboys only want to pay $24M over 4 years to the running back position and that's NOT the guaranteed money.

We weren't willing to give Murray last year or Lamar Miller that kind of money, both guys who have actually done it at this level. There's no way we hand that kind of money over to the RB position in a rookie with how we manage the cap.

I think he could be a candidate at #7 overall should we trade down, however, in this scenario:

1. TEN: Tunsil
2. CLE: Wentz
3. SD: Ramsey
4. Trade down with San Francisco, who covets Jared Goff and would want to trade up ahead of the Eagles and Rams (who would be good trade partners with Baltimore and Jacksonville who need more picks)

We then take Elliott at 7. I'm not sure what the guaranteed money is at #7, but it's likely less enough from $24M that they could potentially justify it (and possibly not pick up the 5th year option and choose an extension should he earn a second contract).

Just things swimming around in my head.

DTown214

Reaction score
Bottom line is that if the Cowboys pick Elliott, it won't be at #4. The #4 pick receives $24M guaranteed on the rookie pay scale. The Cowboys only want to pay $24M over 4 years to the running back position and that's NOT the guaranteed money.

We weren't willing to give Murray last year or Lamar Miller that kind of money, both guys who have actually done it at this level. There's no way we hand that kind of money over to the RB position in a rookie with how we manage the cap.

I think he could be a candidate at #7 overall should we trade down, however, in this scenario:

1. TEN: Tunsil
2. CLE: Wentz
3. SD: Ramsey
4. Trade down with San Francisco, who covets Jared Goff and would want to trade up ahead of the Eagles and Rams (who would be good trade partners with Baltimore and Jacksonville who need more picks)

We then take Elliott at 7. I'm not sure what the guaranteed money is at #7, but it's likely less enough from $24M that they could potentially justify it (and possibly not pick up the 5th year option and choose an extension should he earn a second contract).

Just things swimming around in my head.

I actually really like that scenario. Puts us right ahead of the Eagles and we could take Elliott before them and pick up another asset. As far as the money thing... a 20 year old Elliott probably has a lot more value in most people's eyes than a 25 year old Miller. So that really isn't a factor.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Why do you say Drake is a poor man's Zeke? I'm not really seeing the likeness.

I've been saying this all along. I like Drake, but I think he's too tall to be a running back. His long legs are too exposed, and I think he'll get hurt in the NFL at the running back position. But he'd be a good receiver, IMO.

Because he is a good receiver but not a good runner hence is is cheaper and more affordable.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
I keep saying it I want Braxton Miller. He can maybe replace Terrance this year, definitely next year so we don't have to re-sign him. Can also serve as an absolute emergency qb and return guy