News: DMN: Dane Brugler breaks down Ezekiel Elliott as a Cowboy; mid-to-late round possibilities for...

Kaiser

Reaction score
I agree with Brugler. Late in the year Dodd was unblockable. I like Prosise more for value and upside.

Agree, I have been putting together a mock and really like Dodd at 34. The team seems to be targeting a LDE and he would fit that perfectly.

Prossie could be a good pick because there would be no pressure to produce immediately, also there will likely be very good value at RB in the 3rd with him, Booker and Dixon likely available at 67.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Dodd is pretty legit. I wouldn't mind him. The top of the 2nd looks to be really good value on a DT/DE. Someone will fall that'd likely be a first rounder in other drafts.

And just no to Drake. His fumble rate is almost as bad as Abdullah's. It's funny he mentioned Theo Riddick for the Lions, Abdullahs teammate, one of the reasons he got so many touches is because Abdullah kept coughing up the football.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Nice article. Like the Dodd idea. He really did come on at the end of the year. Would love to have a center/guard/emerg T. Drake is a poor man's Zeke. Ok, so pretty poor but you get the idea.

I really think we will see a few backs used more like Faulk was in the next few years. I like this kind of back these days but they have got to be able to really run the ball well.

Why do you say Drake is a poor man's Zeke? I'm not really seeing the likeness.

Brugler: "Kenyan Drake from Alabama is interesting. He's six-foot and a half, 210 pounds. He's almost a running back trapped in a wide receiver's body with the way he plays the game. But he brings a little bit of juice to the backfield. He has the versatility to help on special teams. So if you can harness his athleticism and let him help out in the passing game as a receiver, I think Kenyan Drake can be an interesting guy. Similar to the way the Lions use Theo Riddick (2015 stats: 43 carries, 80 receptions), I think Drake could be that type of player for the Cowboys. If you could get him in the fourth or fifth round, he would kind of round out that running back backfield."

I've been saying this all along. I like Drake, but I think he's too tall to be a running back. His long legs are too exposed, and I think he'll get hurt in the NFL at the running back position. But he'd be a good receiver, IMO.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Well, we're in the same page with QB in the first round anyway!

:thumbup:

But I personally believe that - although Henry would be a nice get - the defense still needs more attention that adding another running back does.

I'm on the take Wentz/Goff in first and then best available defender in the 2nd train, preferably DL or DB. I like that much better than if we took defense in round 1 and then used a 2nd or 3rd on a lower rated QB.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dodd is fun to watch

I love the guy. Relentless,powerful, aware. Great motor. And I love that he fights through everything. Half of those sacks were where the lineman was beat so badly he just tried to hold.

And they still couldn't stop the guy.

Sydla

Reaction score
Teams stopped Gurley? :huh:

Kind of, yeah. Or at least contained him better.

He ran for 1100 yards last year with over half his yards coming in his first 5 games played. In those first five games he averaged 115 yards per game.

Over his last 8 games, as teams began to realize he was their only real offensive threat, he averaged 66 yards per game.

In the first five games he broke the 100 yard barrier 4 times. In his last 8 games, he broke the 100 yard barrier only once.

irishline

Reaction score

I love Gurley but to be honest after his 4 week tear in October, he only ran for 531 yards on 135 carries (3.9 average) over the last 8 games.

And that includes his 140 yards on 16 carries performance vs. Detroit in December.

Take that out and he ran for 391 yards (on 119 carries: 3.3 yards per carry) over 7 of the last 8 games.

Hardly what I would call unstoppable. So in a way, yes teams did stop him or at least figure out how to slow him down.

http://www.nfl.com/player/toddgurley/2552475/gamelogs

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Kind of, yeah. Or at least contained him better.

He ran for 1100 yards last year with over half his yards coming in his first 5 games played. In those first five games he averaged 115 yards per game.

Over his last 8 games, as teams began to realize he was their only real offensive threat, he averaged 66 yards per game.

In the first five games he broke the 100 yard barrier 4 times. In his last 8 games, he broke the 100 yard barrier only once.

Okay. Thanks.

jaybeware

Reaction score
Please draft defense heavy.It our biggest liability. Having Tony win it in the clutch is a blessing not a strategy. Give him some short fields to score and a running game to eat clock. I hate to miss out on constructing a quality front seven in the same way the FO did on the O line.

Reactions: BAT

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Teams started loading the box and daring the Rams to pass. The Rams couldn't pass, so they started losing.

first 4 starts: Gurley 142 ypg (Rams 3-1)
last 8 starts: Gurley 66 ypg (Rams 3-5)

That's why, if you want to take Elliot at #4, you must have tremendous confidence in Romo's longevity, and in the future of our passing game in general. You also must be wondering why the team is showing so much interest in QB and WR right now.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Dane Brugler always produces a quality product. I enjoyed the read.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Nice article. Like the Dodd idea. He really did come on at the end of the year. Would love to have a center/guard/emerg T. Drake is a poor man's Zeke. Ok, so pretty poor but you get the idea.

I really think we will see a few backs used more like Faulk was in the next few years. I like this kind of back these days but they have got to be able to really run the ball well.

CJ Prosise is one to watch on Day 2 or 3.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
It's debatable that he's better than Gurley. Urban Meyer also believed Tim Tebow was such a winner he'd be a big success in the NFL. So I wouldn't be taking what Meyer says about one of his players as gospel.

I''m going with Bill Polian who said after considering the value in the draft after Ramsey and Tunsil that if he were the Cowboys he'd draft Elliott. However, I get the resistance drafting him at 4, that's why I'm hoping we find a partner to move back and then get him at less money.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I like Prosise better than drake but I still like drake I don't think we will use drake right here

I like Keith Marshall and/or Byron Marshall over both. But any of these guys would be an upgrade over the gimpy and oft injured Dunbar.