News: DMN: Ezekiel Elliott: 'I got to work on pressing my landmarks and being more patient'

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He's saying the right thing. The truth is his performance had more to do with the rookie QB than anything else. If a QB's presence on the field allows the defense to sell out on the run all game that QB is responsible for the ineffective run game.

The Giants ran run blitzes with their LBs and dropped their safeties to cover our outside receivers (Dez & Williams) which is the exact reason why Witten and Beasley were targeted excessively underneath.

It was solid game plan by the Giants because Witten is a reliable receiver but hardly a YAC threat. Linehan & Co. never adjusted.

You're trying to shoehorn criticism of Dak into this when it doesn't fit.

Last edited:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The Giants ran run blitzes with their LBs and dropped their safeties to cover our outside receivers (Dez & Williams) which is the exact reason why Witten and Beasley were targeted excessively underneath.

It was solid game plan by the Giants because Witten is a reliable receiver but hardly a YAC threat. Linehan & Co. never adjusted.

Teams have been playing us this way for a while now, we just don't have a counter because, "We take what the defense gives us."

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I don't think that there is any rationale for pulling him though, sample size notwithstanding.
He was ineffective while Morris wasn't; OL only block for Morris? Could have helped the running game and not force Dak into those 3rd downs where his lack of medium/deep accuracy was showing (poor footwork; was a bit rattled in 2nd half after GMen made adjustments).

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While the RB position is the easiest to transition to from college, it still takes getting acclimated to the first real game. I'd be willing to bet, his average per carry will not be that low in any other hame he plays in, providing he gets enough carries to get his rhythm.

Just as with Dak, too many were expecting too much for their first real game and we must make allowances for coaching. They will both improve.

Doomsay

Reaction score
He was ineffective while Morris wasn't; OL only block for Morris? Could have helped the running game and not force Dak into those 3rd downs where his lack of medium/deep accuracy was showing (poor footwork; was a bit rattled in 2nd half after GMen made adjustments).

....... No rationale for pulling Morris, plenty of reason to sit Zeke.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He's saying the right thing. The truth is his performance had more to do with the rookie QB than anything else. If a QB's presence on the field allows the defense to sell out on the run all game that QB is responsible for the ineffective run game.
I thought it was Zeke's job to make life for Dak easier. Not the other way around...

vaturkey

Reaction score
Zeke has a long long way to go to break Eric Dickerson's rookie record. Think about two weeks ago that was what his goal was.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Nate Newton: "Some guys are mean. To me, Zeke is mean. He runs mean. 'If you punch me, I'm gonna punch you back.' When he saw the holes closing, and they started hitting him, he put his shoulders behind his pads and he started hitting back. He went into another mindset. So maybe he missed a read, because he was saying, 'If you hit me, I'm hitting you back.' That's the attitude he's got. We gotta learn to get him outside just a little bit."

kevm3

Reaction score
The one thing I like about Zeke is that I didn't see him going backwards. He almost always pushed forward for a couple of yards. That will be helpful on 3rd downs.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
Zeke has heart you cannot teach that he will be fine.

First game probably a little over excited and that combined with the Giants gameplan caused the results we saw. I do agree maybe Morris should have had an increased workload to take pressure off the rookie, but on the other side of the argument maybe this roadblock was just what Zeke needed to get that furnace going in his heart. You learn more from adversity then if things went smooth I know it was one game but Zeke hates to lose.

When he starts rattling off 100 yard + rushing games with multiple Td's the winds of opinions on this forum will change, and praises of this young man will spread throughout the land.

chris1995

Reaction score
FRISCO -- Although there wasn't much running room Sunday afternoon, Ezekiel Elliott acknowledges he could have been a little more patient on some of his rushing attempts.
Elliott ran the ball 20 times for 51 yards. His longest gain came on an eight-yard touchdown run early in the third quarter.

"I think I got to work on pressing my landmarks and being more patient," Elliott said Wednesday. "I think I got a little bit impatient. I just got to realize that some games, you're only going to get those 2, 3, 4 dirty-yard, dirty runs and you're not always going to get those big, big hitters."

Elliott missed most of training camp and the first two preseason games because of a strained right hamstring. He said that missed time "could have been a factor" in why he didn't have more success in Week 1.

After the 20-19 loss to the New York Giants, Elliott called his rookie debut average. On Wednesday, he couldn't recall anything he did really well.

"I mean, I had a couple of good runs," he said. "Their defensive line played a good game. I did a good job I'd say sometimes of turning a nothing into a one- or two-yard gain and making sure they weren't negative yards. I mean, that's about it.

"I've just got to be more honed, got to be more focused, got to be more disciplined and just focus on the little things."

Elliott pointed out that he got off to a slow start during his college career.

He rushed for two yards on one carry in Ohio State's 2013 season opener his freshman season. The next game, Elliott managed 36 yards on six carries. He didn't play in the Buckeyes' third game. But in the fourth, a 76-0 win over Florida A&M, Elliott went for 162 yards and two touchdowns on 14 carries.

"By the third game," Elliott said, "I was rolling."

Continue reading...
Zeke will get better each game !

reddyuta

Reaction score
Nate Newton: "Some guys are mean. To me, Zeke is mean. He runs mean. 'If you punch me, I'm gonna punch you back.' When he saw the holes closing, and they started hitting him, he put his shoulders behind his pads and he started hitting back. He went into another mindset. So maybe he missed a read, because he was saying, 'If you hit me, I'm hitting you back.' That's the attitude he's got. We gotta learn to get him outside just a little bit."

I mentioned this so many times in the game chat.for some reason we were adamant to run straight up the gut with him.we tried just one toss which actually worked.

fishspill

Reaction score
The big mistake this FO makes is not bringing in vet WR from free agency. There's always a handful or two that can make your corps a lot stronger.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Not too sure what a " landmark" is ? The boy better learn how to RUN in the NFL and forget about all the fancy terminology.