WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Practice report: The Valley Ranch Circus is running strong

1:33 PM Wed, Dec 03, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Most of the Cowboys are preparing for Sunday's game in frigid Pittsburgh by practicing in the team's Valley Ranch indoor facility.

DeMarcus Ware (hyperextended knee) and Marion Barber (dislocated pinkie toe) braved the conditions to work out on a practice field along with fellow rehabbers Mike Jenkins (hamstring) and Mikes Austin (knee). A handful of old dudes -- T.O., Marc Colombo, Flozell Adams, Greg Ellis and Zach Thomas -- were given a veteran's day off by Wade Phillips. (Didn't they have four of the previous five days off?)

It's quite a scene inside the bubble. A whole bunch of corporate types had invaded one sideline. A DJ was cranking out tunes on the other sideline, leading rookie TE Martellus Bennett to hop on his feet and dance during stretching drills.

At least Pacman Jones appeared to be taking things seriously. He seemed very focused while wearing a pair of Homer Simpson pajama pants under his shorts. ("I'm so smart," the writing on the pants read.)

Well, if the Cowboys lose in Pittsburgh, it won't be because they were too uptight.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

FWST Blog

We're Talkin' 'bout practice, man
Sign No. 5,424 that Bill Parcells is no longer patrolling Valley Ranch: The scene inside the practice bubble today. It was almost funny.

No. 1: In another sign that Pacman Jones simply does not care about the way things appear, he was wearing Homer Simpson sleep pants under his workout shorts during practice today.

It's one thing if you're Keyshawn Johnson and wear flip flops through a workout, but it's another thing if you're coming off yet another suspension and immediately look like being a professional anything is unnecessary.

No. 2: More than 40 sponsors and other invited fan-types stood on the sidelines as the team practiced and posed for pictures with Nate Newton and anything else.

No. 3: The hammering and drilling and the other sounds from construction of the "suite" so the Cowboys can entertain sponsors while the team practices continues.

No. 4: Tight end Martellus Bennett broke into a dance of his own while the rest of his teammates stretched.

- Mac Engel

Posted at 01:57 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Injury Update from Wed. Practice

LB DeMarcus Ware, RB Marion Barber, CB Mike Jenkins, and WR Miles Austin all ran on the outdoor fields while the rest of the team practiced under the bubble.

Expect Ware and Barber are going to play on Sunday.

- Mac Engel

Posted at 01:45 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Where's T.O.?

Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens was not at practice at Wednesday. Not sure why, but he is likely being given the day off. But why would T.O. get a day off after getting three days off after playing on Thanksgiving? We'll find out from Wade Phillips later today during his press conference.

Owens wasn't the only one...OLB Greg Ellis, ILB Zach Thomas and OTs Flozell Adams and Marc Colombo were also not practicing with the huge Steelers game coming up.

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
So if we win on sunday will any of this matter? Wade can do what he wants with the veterans. If it means being more productive down the strecth I don't care what phillips does. I just want to win on sunday. Enough with the parcells references, the guy is gone.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Meh. Non-issue. This went on when Jimmy was here as well. It's the Cowboys for crissakes.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I can't believe any of this is actually going on. They win 3 relatively easy games and they are back to their "we'll just show up and win" mode. If ever they needed to be taking practice seriously, its now. What are they doing, goofing off and entertaining sponsors inside the bubble when they are getting ready to play the toughest team in the NFL in 20 degree weather. I had a good feeling about the game, but not now. Starters having the day off, circus atmosphere, practicing inside, and having music and sponsors there? Unbelievable. They are going to get blown out in Pittsburg!!!

Randy White

Reaction score
this smells the same way that the 3 days to Mexico vacation did last year.

IN the grand scheme of things, that vacation didn't matter one bit, but this attitude ( and I blame Jerrah more than anybody ) going against one of the best teams in the league is disrespectful. Disrespectful to the Steelers, disrespectful to the fans, disrespectful to the game.

If we get our butts handed to us this week, this story will not die until Jerrah hires the next Tuna, aka: Cowher.

I gurantee it.

:bang2:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
None of us have even one earthly idea on how to run an NFL practice, or how to prepare an NFL team for a game.

We have to trust the coaching staff and the players on this one.

I don't think that practicing in the cold necessarily prepares you any more for dealing with the cold on game day. It just becomes a mindset to ignore the cold and conditions for 3 hours.

Maybe it is better to have constructive, productive practices, even if it is in the bubble.

I would think film study would be a bigger key preparing for each team each week.

But like I said, we don't know squat about preparing for an NFL game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah.

You're playing one of the most intense, physical teams in the league.

How do you choose to match that intensity?

Take an extra day off.

:bang2:

I'll be stunned if this team wins on Sunday.

Stunned.

FCBarca

Reaction score
I think the comparisons to the Mexico trip of last year are pretty spot on...If they turn in a powder puff performance, I'd hope Jerry will have a meeting with Wade that will produce some real tears instead of that nonsense he did on Hard Knocks...As in fire him

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
So, the Giants allow Burress to never practice, then put him on a 4 game timout when he wouldn't be physically ready to play anyway and they are the model for team managment. Good to know that Owens missing one practice is sign 5424 that Parcells is no longer here. I'm really tired of Dallas media.

MrMom

Reaction score
This will all be moot if we win on Sunday, but if we come out sloppy on Sun and look like ***, I'll be the first to throw Wade under the bus.

Let's just see how everything plays out.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2459506 said:
None of us have even one earthly idea on how to run an NFL practice, or how to prepare an NFL team for a game.

We have to trust the coaching staff and the players on this one.
sorry but not one coach or player on the cowboys has EARNED any amount of trust. this is the collective bunch of complacent losers who choked away last season and slept walk thru the rams game.

Having a circus at practice is not exactly awe inspiring.

Again, if we win it's in spite of Wade & his enabler Jerruh.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MrMom;2459527 said:
This will all be moot if we win on Sunday, but if we come out sloppy on Sun and look like ***, I'll be the first to throw Wade under the bus.

Let's just see how everything plays out.
Oh, good. So if we win, it was obvious it was the right decision and if we lose it's obvious it was a poor decision.

That makes sense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dallasfaniac;2459518 said:
So, the Giants allow Burress to never practice, then put him on a 4 game timout when he wouldn't be physically ready to play anyway and they are the model for team managment. Good to know that Owens missing one practice is sign 5424 that Parcells is no longer here. I'm really tired of Dallas media.

Nice comparison.

:shoot5:

Homer

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2459459 said:
No. 1: In another sign that Pacman Jones simply does not care about the way things appear, he was wearing Homer Simpson sleep pants under his workout shorts during practice today.

D'oh!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Circus? What circus?

2:00 PM Wed, Dec 03, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips

The Cowboys had about 30 spectators at practice today. Now that doesn't include the media who was watching practice.

Music was playing, fans and players bobbing their heads and of course some footballs were being thrown around.

I must admit it was a circus. But this is how the Cowboys have done it all season long and with a three-game winning streak going, why change now?

In fact, this is how it was done last year and the team won 13 games.

The bad thing about practice was the starting offensive tackles, Flo Adams and Marc Colombo were missing. T.O., Ellis and Zach were gone too.

I have no idea why these players needed a day off. Age maybe. All of them are in the 30s. Mental break? Doubt that. Ellis and Zach are students of the game.

I think that's a bad sign going into Pittsburgh.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
theogt;2459531 said:
Oh, good. So if we win, it was obvious it was the right decision and if we lose it's obvious it was a poor decision.

That makes sense.

No, its if we win then wade got lucky. However, if we lose then its wade's fault.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Say what you want, no one should need extra time off after they already had the Thanksgiving break but what are you going to do. Hopefully it helps them on Sunday.