DMN/FWST Blog: Practice report: The Valley Ranch Circus is running strong

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2459642 said:
You referring to the same approach used during the bye week leading up to those 3 consecutive wins? Wade was criticized for that and how did it work out?

It'd sound silly to say we won those games because of that approach, but you can take it to the bank that if we'd lost won, people would be attributing the loss to it.

They played well enough to win at Washington, which in my opinion was the only 'difficult' game of the three.

Again, I hope to be wrong and I hope the team wins but I'm not and never have been a fan of the Cupcake approach.

I would say that if this team plays well and wins Sunday that those worrying about this decision will be proven wrong - and gladly admit it.

But those that say there's nothing to it and calling people 'chicken littles' should be held to the same standards.

Instead they'll say one had nothing to do with the other - that way they can't lose.

In my book you can't have things both ways.

I voiced my opinion on the topic - right or wrong - and I'll be hear Sunday either way.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
lol

I am listening to Randy Galloway while I am editing right now.

Its pretty funny listening to him talk about this. Nate newton sounded like was going to have a stroke earlier when he was on talking about how the cowboys were in the bubble!!!!

Its entertaining to say the least.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
theebs;2459649 said:
lol

I am listening to Randy Galloway while I am editing right now.

Its pretty funny listening to him talk about this. Nate newton sounded like was going to have a stroke earlier when he was on talking about how the cowboys were in the bubble!!!!

Its entertaining to say the least.

What's funny is that the Cowboys of Nate's day had no choice because there WASN'T a bubble then. They had to practice outside regardless of the conditions because there were no other options. No matter what level of ball you played, people ALWAYS think it was done and played better in their day.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Giving the vets some time off is a good thing. The rest of the OL are the ones who need to be learn picking up the blitz. I don't think those veteran players need to work on that and they aren't going to improve their abilities in shorts.

Going hard at this point in the season isn't helpful. Keeping it loose is a good thing. Once they hit the field it will be work.

I agree with David. Overreaction at its finest.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2459653 said:
What's funny is that the Cowboys of Nate's day had no choice because there WASN'T a bubble then. They had to practice outside regardless of the conditions because there were no other options. No matter what level of ball you played, people ALWAYS think it was done and played better in their day.

Exactly what I was thinking. I like Nate, I really do, but there's definitely some good 'ol days syndrome in his analysis. There is with all the players from the Jimmy days.

But on the practice today... Funny, Wade just said that Hines Ward and Deshea Townsend got the day off today, too. And I think Colombo, Flo, and Zach know what to do. Not sure how much they'd gain from hitting a blocking sled at this point.

And you know, as biased as MacMahon and Mac Engel have proven to be, somehow I don't think things are as lax as they've made them out to be. Sounds more like goofing around during stretching and early warmups.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2459662 said:
Exactly what I was thinking. I like Nate, I really do, but there's definitely some good 'ol days syndrome in his analysis. There is with all the players from the Jimmy days.

But on the practice today... Funny, Wade just said that Hines Ward and Deshea Townsend got the day off today, too. And I think Colombo, Flo, and Zach know what to do. Not sure how much they'd gain from hitting a blocking sled at this point.

And you know, as biased as MacMahon and Mac Engel have proven to be, somehow I don't think things are as lax as they've made them out to be. Sounds more like goofing around during stretching and early warmups.

My big gripe is that not only the DFW media, but also 1/2 of Zoners here(I won't name, but you know who you are) are going to saying this is all TO's fault that vets are getting the day off, Wade is supposedly running complacent practices this week, etc.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2459662 said:

Exactly right. The media sees 20 minutes of practice.

I'm not too worried about this nonsense. I'd rather the Cowboys come up here nice and loose with some swagger and turn it loose on these scumbags.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2459459 said:
Practice report: The Valley Ranch Circus is running strong

1:33 PM Wed, Dec 03, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Most of the Cowboys are preparing for Sunday's game in frigid Pittsburgh by practicing in the team's Valley Ranch indoor facility.

DeMarcus Ware (hyperextended knee) and Marion Barber (dislocated pinkie toe) braved the conditions to work out on a practice field along with fellow rehabbers Mike Jenkins (hamstring) and Mikes Austin (knee). A handful of old dudes -- T.O., Marc Colombo, Flozell Adams, Greg Ellis and Zach Thomas -- were given a veteran's day off by Wade Phillips. (Didn't they have four of the previous five days off?)

It's quite a scene inside the bubble. A whole bunch of corporate types had invaded one sideline. A DJ was cranking out tunes on the other sideline, leading rookie TE Martellus Bennett to hop on his feet and dance during stretching drills.

At least Pacman Jones appeared to be taking things seriously. He seemed very focused while wearing a pair of Homer Simpson pajama pants under his shorts. ("I'm so smart," the writing on the pants read.)

Well, if the Cowboys lose in Pittsburgh, it won't be because they were too uptight.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

FWST Blog

We're Talkin' 'bout practice, man
Sign No. 5,424 that Bill Parcells is no longer patrolling Valley Ranch: The scene inside the practice bubble today. It was almost funny.

No. 1: In another sign that Pacman Jones simply does not care about the way things appear, he was wearing Homer Simpson sleep pants under his workout shorts during practice today.

It's one thing if you're Keyshawn Johnson and wear flip flops through a workout, but it's another thing if you're coming off yet another suspension and immediately look like being a professional anything is unnecessary.

No. 2: More than 40 sponsors and other invited fan-types stood on the sidelines as the team practiced and posed for pictures with Nate Newton and anything else.

No. 3: The hammering and drilling and the other sounds from construction of the "suite" so the Cowboys can entertain sponsors while the team practices continues.

No. 4: Tight end Martellus Bennett broke into a dance of his own while the rest of his teammates stretched.

- Mac Engel

Posted at 01:57 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Injury Update from Wed. Practice

LB DeMarcus Ware, RB Marion Barber, CB Mike Jenkins, and WR Miles Austin all ran on the outdoor fields while the rest of the team practiced under the bubble.

Expect Ware and Barber are going to play on Sunday.

- Mac Engel

Posted at 01:45 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Where's T.O.?

Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens was not at practice at Wednesday. Not sure why, but he is likely being given the day off. But why would T.O. get a day off after getting three days off after playing on Thanksgiving? We'll find out from Wade Phillips later today during his press conference.

Owens wasn't the only one...OLB Greg Ellis, ILB Zach Thomas and OTs Flozell Adams and Marc Colombo were also not practicing with the huge Steelers game coming up.

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

The writers are lame.....Flo should rest i want him 100% on Sunday.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Boysboy;2459668 said:
My big gripe is that not only the DFW media, but also 1/2 of Zoners here(I won't name, but you know who you are) are going to saying this is all TO's fault that vets are getting the day off, Wade is supposedly running complacent practices this week, etc.
LOL. That's all I can say.

Anyway, Wade just said the reason they weren't outside was the wind. It's really windy as this front comes through, and like he said, that kind of wind makes it almost impossible to work on your passing game. He said if it's that windy in the game (which it isn't supposed to be), you won't be able to throw it much anyway. And if it's cold tomorrow but not super windy, they'll be outside tomorrow.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
parcells316;2459669 said:
Exactly right. The media sees 20 minutes of practice.

I'm not too worried about this nonsense. I'd rather the Cowboys come up here nice and loose with some swagger and turn it loose on these scumbags.

So just how good are these Steelers?

bigE79

Reaction score
Boysboy;2459668 said:
:bow:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
wade just told calvin watkins why dont you go coach a team then...

hillarious.

Watkins is a clown, along with clarence hill. And wade was barking back today.

Good Job Wade.

FCBarca

Reaction score
I get the feeling some zoners subscribe to the Allen Iverson school of thought when it comes to practice :rolleyes:

bigE79

Reaction score
theebs;2459684 said:
wade just told calvin watkins why dont you go coach a team then...

hillarious.

Watkins is a clown, along with clarence hill. And wade was barking back today.

Good Job Wade.
Yea...i heard that to,i wish wade would have told him to go **** himself:star:

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
FCBarca;2459693 said:
I get the feeling some zoners subscribe to the Allen Iverson school of thought when it comes to practice :rolleyes:

T.O. / Marc Colombo / Flozell Adams / Greg Ellis / Zach Thomas

If the coach says we miss practice and you all hear it then thats that. If we can't practice we cant practice man, if we are old we are old. It's as simple as that. Were suppose to be franchise players and we are here talking about practice. Listen were talking about practice not a game not a game not a game but were talking about practice. Not the game where we go out there and die for. Were talking about practice. How silly is that man. Were not talking about the game, were talking about practice. When you come to the game, and you see us play, you see us play dont you? You see us give everything we got right? But were talking about practice right now. Were not even talking about the actual game that we haven't even played yet man. Instead I am here talking about practice, practice man. How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?

Werder: Practicing may help with............
TO: Next question

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
stasheroo;2459636 said:
We'll see.

This team was 5-4 and on life support 3 weeks ago using this same 'laid back' approach.

Now that they've won a few, it's back to business as usual.

The patsy part of the schedule is over.

If they're not prepared and focused, these next 4 teams will clean their clocks.

how do you know they did anything different the past 3-4 weeks in practice?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
dbair1967;2459760 said:

They havent, another blog post confirmed this is the same as every other week

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;2459760 said:

Honestly I don't know for sure.

Just from the information I got from various sources that the intensity level and seriousness seemed to be on the upswing.

Reading this stuff makes me feel it's back to the way it was several weeks ago.

Seems like many in the media are thinking the same thing.

Not saying that's right, just that it's what some of us are thinking.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
I have no problem being inside out of the wind and getting some things done. As far as the vets, i agree that these guys know how to play and another day off can't hurt. They'll get some work in tomorrow and friday and we should be ready to roll on Sunday.The players don't benefit from the music and fat cats hanging around but hey, that's Jerry and he's gonna promote no matter what. He's the Don King of football.