DMN/FWST Blog: Spencer replacing Greg Ellis as starter?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
DatNguyen59;2403688 said:
If we were able to get all 3 of them in on 3rd downs, that would be quite a pass rush.
it's been done before and it's been effective.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
theogt;2403653 said:
Spencer looked infinitely better than Greg.

He really, truly did. He was disruptive on every single play almost... and Greg hasn't been disruptive since the offseason. :rolleyes:

ddh33

Reaction score
I wonder how much earlier this would have happened had Spencer not been injured?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
ddh33;2403730 said:
I wonder how much earlier this would have happened had Spencer not been injured?

I think this would have happened very, very early this season. Like maybe from game one. Spencer was playing lights out in training camp... but his injury changed things until now.

Now is the first time we've truly had bookend LB's who were dangerous. IOW, someone opposite Ware who can run, chase, and cover as well as pressure the QB.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2403731 said:
A year late but better late than never...
Really? You mean, Greg should have been benched during the best year of his career?

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
If Anthony Spencer isn't an every down player from here on out, it is a big mistake, imo. Spencer can play the run, rush the passer, and drop back into coverage. Plus, he doesn't run to the owner, allegedly, and whine about how he is being used.

Greg Ellis looks really slow. He has two sacks this year, and he has rushed the passer plenty of times.

Eskimo

Reaction score
PaulH1083;2403562 said:
I was totally against giving Ellis a big contract and still am.

Ellis signed that contract extension after the 2003 season - that was 4.5 years ago. He has been productive on the field but the whining is tiresome. I think he has got one more year left. Playing less snaps may make him more productive in the nickel ala Jim Jeffcoat.

Eskimo

Reaction score
AsthmaField;2403735 said:
I think this would have happened very, very early this season. Like maybe from game one. Spencer was playing lights out in training camp... but his injury changed things until now.

Now is the first time we've truly had bookend LB's who were dangerous. IOW, someone opposite Ware who can run, chase, and cover as well as pressure the QB.

We should be much better in the cover game now not having to make up for Ellis' lack of range everytime we choose to send Ware after the QB.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
theogt;2403739 said:
Really? You mean, Greg should have been benched during the best year of his career?

As far as sacks are concerned obviously no but he gave up a lot of plays in the flats. Clearly for the most part of last year we were ahead in the majority of our games so we sent him in more and he capitalized. Nonetheless we suffered when it really mattered. He gave up a lot of big plays...

Eskimo

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2403958 said:
As far as sacks are concerned obviously no but he gave up a lot of plays in the flats. Clearly for the most part of last year we were ahead in the majority of our games so we sent him in more and he capitalized. Nonetheless we suffered when it really mattered. He gave up a lot of big plays...

Ellis was and still is a liability in coverage and the running game. He had the edge over Spencer in the pass rush but I think Spencer may have him edged there now, too.

Ellis would clearly benefit from being a part-time player in the nickel package where his strengths are maximized and weaknesses are minimized.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eskimo;2403978 said:
Ellis was and still is a liability in coverage and the running game. He had the edge over Spencer in the pass rush but I think Spencer may have him edged there now, too.

Ellis would clearly benefit from being a part-time player in the nickel package where his strengths are maximized and weaknesses are minimized.
Great post.

Now if Spencer can stay healthy.......

khiladi

Reaction score
Spencer should be playing on third downs as well, because he is quicker and moves better in space. He can get to the QB way faster than Greg ever could...

Just like Zach should be playing on 3rd downs, because he is a great pass coverage linebacker.

Wade Phillips needs to stop appeasing egos...

Eskimo

Reaction score
khiladi;2404112 said:
Spencer should be playing on third downs as well, because he is quicker and moves better in space. He can get to the QB way faster than Greg ever could...

Just like Zach should be playing on 3rd downs, because he is a great pass coverage linebacker.

Wade Phillips needs to stop appeasing egos...

We can sometimes put all 3 of Ware, Ellis and Spencer out there in 3rd and longs.

Ideally we should occasionally give one of Ware and Spencer a rest some of the time. Maybe we can bring in a vet OLB to be a spot player at times for us next year.

khiladi

Reaction score
Eskimo;2404125 said:
We can sometimes put all 3 of Ware, Ellis and Spencer out there in 3rd and longs.

Ideally we should occasionally give one of Ware and Spencer a rest some of the time. Maybe we can bring in a vet OLB to be a spot player at times for us next year.

The more Spencer is on the field the better. I don't care if Ellis plays anymore or not. He is old and has lost a major step.

Contrary to what people are saying on this board, Greg Ellis was known primarily as a run-stopper. He never once in his career broke 10 sacks. He only did it last year.

And Spencer has obviously surpassed him in his specialty.

Offensive lineman like Joe Thomas all said that the hardest person they blocked during their senior year was Anthony Spencer....