DMN/FWST Blog: Spencer replacing Greg Ellis as starter?

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
This is great news. Should help out Ware, as well as the entire defense too having someone good on the other side. Ellis has been holding us back, and his personality is not conducive of a winner. Great move, I thought Wade didn't have it in him to make this type of decision, but I am glad to see I'm wrong.

Eskimo

Reaction score
khiladi;2404135 said:
The more Spencer is on the field the better. I don't care if Ellis plays anymore or not. He is old and has lost a major step.

Contrary to what people are saying on this board, Greg Ellis was known primarily as a run-stopper. He never once in his career broke 10 sacks. He only did it last year.

And Spencer has obviously surpassed him in his specialty.

Offensive lineman like Joe Thomas all said that the hardest person they blocked during their senior year was Anthony Spencer....

Name 4 better pass rushers on this team than Ellis. Case closed. He is still of some use to us if used properly. He is only one season off a 12.5 sack campaign and a Pro Bowl.

He definitely shouldn't be part of the 3-4 base.

He can spell Spencer/Ware in some nickel situations and be used in conjunction with them some of the time lined up at DT.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Some are looking this as a downgrade for Ellis but not me. I think this will benefit the team, Spencer and Ellis. Give me a refreshed Ellis on 3rd down over any linebacker on this team not named Ware.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It was just a matter of time and getting healthy before Spencer became a more valuable player than Ellis. Ellis isn't having a bad year. Spencer is stronger and faster. Ellis is still very valuable and necessary to this team. Even if only a backup should Ware (shudder) or Spencer go down we still have two pass rushers at OLB.

Glad to see Spencer pass him. Says more to his talent than negatively to Ellis's. I do wish they could find more ways to get Ellis in there with Ratliff, Spencer, and Ware.

And I like the idea of standing them all up but one or two.

khiladi

Reaction score
Eskimo;2404260 said:
Name 4 better pass rushers on this team than Ellis. Case closed. He is still of some use to us if used properly. He is only one season off a 12.5 sack campaign and a Pro Bowl.

He definitely shouldn't be part of the 3-4 base.

He can spell Spencer/Ware in some nickel situations and be used in conjunction with them some of the time lined up at DT.

I'm talking about Greg Ellis playing in 3rd down situations as a whole, which they claim he will be used in. As fars Greg Ellis rushing from the DE, there is nothing to indicate he can rush the passer better than Spears or Canty from that position.

I'll name you one better pass rusher at his position now.... That is Anthony Spencer... If Ware can play the majority of snaps, so can Spencer...

khiladi

Reaction score
He is only one season off a 12.5 sack campaign and a Pro Bowl.

Which is a freakin' anomaly in his career. Why not give me a season before then, you know, in his prime, when he eclipsed even 10 sacks? Oh, my bad, there is none. He was never known as a pass-rusher until last year. It was an anomaly in his career that created the impression that he was a great pass rusher. Otherwise, he was always known as being solid in the run. Marcellus Wiley had his best year under Wade. And Wiley sucks.

The fact is, Greg Ellis isn't getting any pressure on the QB this year, so last year is really irrelevant. That is a simple fact. Like I said before, they are going to use him primarily on 3rd down in passing situations, which takes away snaps from Anthony Spencer. That is not a good thing. If Ware can play all 3 downs, so can Specner. Spencer is obviously showing he is better at stopping the run than Ellis, and that was the true specialty of Ellis. He is showing that he can bring better pressure on the QB on passing downs as well. We all know Spencer is better in space and way guicker off the ball. Those are obviously great traits when it comes to passing downs.

Remind me again why Ellis will be playing primarily in passing situations over Spencer?

Like I said, Greg Ellis should only be spelling these two, if at all, because these guys need to stay fresh. He shouldn't have special packagaes dedicated to him simply because he is Greg Ellis.

Eskimo

Reaction score
khiladi;2405361 said:
Which is a freakin' anomaly in his career. Why not give me a season before then, you know, in his prime, when he eclipsed even 10 sacks? Oh, my bad, there is none. He was never known as a pass-rusher until last year. It was an anomaly in his career that created the impression that he was a great pass rusher. Otherwise, he was always known as being solid in the run. Marcellus Wiley had his best year under Wade. And Wiley sucks.

The fact is, Greg Ellis isn't getting any pressure on the QB this year, so last year is really irrelevant. That is a simple fact. Like I said before, they are going to use him primarily on 3rd down in passing situations, which takes away snaps from Anthony Spencer. That is not a good thing. If Ware can play all 3 downs, so can Specner. Spencer is obviously showing he is better at stopping the run than Ellis, and that was the true specialty of Ellis. He is showing that he can bring better pressure on the QB on passing downs as well. We all know Spencer is better in space and way guicker off the ball. Those are obviously great traits when it comes to passing downs.

Remind me again why Ellis will be playing primarily in passing situations over Spencer?

Like I said, Greg Ellis should only be spelling these two, if at all, because these guys need to stay fresh. He shouldn't have special packagaes dedicated to him simply because he is Greg Ellis.

First of all, Ellis has several 8-9 sack seasons which should not be entirely discounted because he didn't hit double digits.

Secondly, I can't even believe you are comparing Canty and Spears to Ellis as a passursher. Just look at the statistics - not even worth a response.

Third, I really support Ellis getting some reps at DE and DT in the nickel because he is still one of our 4 best pass rushers (the others are Ratliff, Ware and Spencer).

In the long run, Ellis will not play much longer so we do need to be looking for some depth at OLB next year. Possibly a draft pick (too bad we let Walden go) or maybe a vet OLB looking for a PT gig.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I agree Eskimo. I don't understand all this angst over Ellis. He's still a good pass rusher IMO. And he's cheap. I think he's a valuable asset.

Eskimo

Reaction score
jobberone;2405969 said:
I agree Eskimo. I don't understand all this angst over Ellis. He's still a good pass rusher IMO. And he's cheap. I think he's a valuable asset.

He'll even be more productive and useful if his snaps are limited and we don't wear him out by dropping him into coverage so he can feebly chase TEs and RBs all over the field.