News: DMN: George: Why I think Cowboys will go cornerback, not quarterback, in draft's first round

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
What I would like is a small trade down to get an extra 3rd round pick.
Then go after best player.

This would be my ideal scenario. I really like the Bama DT, Ramsey, Elliott, Treadwell, and Jack but I'm not taking them with the 4th pick overall. Well, maybe I take Elliott...

lkelly

Reaction score
With Henderson coaching the secondary, what could go wrong with spending a top pick on a corner?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
QB of the future is the only way to go. Rather he is there at #4, or in the 2nd round. Or as said, a small trade down, get an extra 2nd, would not want anything less than that.
But still get a QB in the first 2 rounds. Take care of the future now. All these self proclaimed experts, saying vet backup, mid round QB, no thanks.

There may not be an Andrew Luck in this draft. But they do not need to be him right away. but a few years learning under Romo, then he could be an Andrew Luck type, or better.
We could end up with a Brady or Rodgers type.
A CB will not get us there, if Romo is on the bench, and we find we get another Weeden / Cassel type from the vet QB. And Moore is not the guy either.

Take the QB while you can. If you don't expect to draft this high again, you take the QB.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This would be my ideal scenario. I really like the Bama DT, Ramsey, Elliott, Treadwell, and Jack but I'm not taking them with the 4th pick overall. Well, maybe I take Elliott...
You can make a case for a lot of players at 4.

If you go the safest player, Elliott has been mentioned.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I can almost rule out a corner in the first,what we are going to do is sign a FA cb.DMN needs better writers.

Alexander

Reaction score
Brandon George: I agree with you. And I don't believe the Cowboys will draft a QB in the first round. My belief is that the Cowboys plug in another veteran backup QB behind Romo, hopefully one who is more capable of leading a team if Romo goes down, and then perhaps use a middle-round pick on a developmental QB. But it is a big decision for the Cowboys because, if you're a fan, you hope they're not drafting this high again anytime soon. But the QB class doesn't look to be strong this year. Hard to balance. I believe they have too many holes to fill and in a win-now situation with Romo/Witten, you can't be worried about drafting as much for the future yet.

Flawed thinking in George's comments.

It is not a big decision for the Cowboys because "if you are a fan you hope they're not drafting this high again anytime soon". The organization should consider that also.

And who is this veteran backup QB who is more capable? I keep seeing writers and of course posters say this. Constantly, but they can't answer the question. Who? How? Why would they be any different from Weeden and Cassel? How do they fit with this offense that is not going to change?

Who is going to develop that unicorn? The same clowns who wasted a year and a half on Weeden before coming to the shocking revelation that only Romo can run this offense for more than a game?

Aven8

Reaction score
Blahhhh! This has our scouts all over it, they love corners. Not saying we don't need one, but either go with a dude over 300, or a QB please!

Dalmations202

Reaction score
My personal opinion is that they need to draft Cardale Jones in the 4th round or so for the future. They also need to bring in JFF, RG3 and keep Moore to battle it out for the backup QB position.

My biggest problem with this idea though is that JFF, RG3, and Moore are all QBs that need to be in a west coast style offense sort of like what Joe Montana used to run. Good shifty back, zone block, lots of QB movement and quick RAC WRs with primary short throws and deep threats when they start cheating up.

Unfortunately Garrett is of the -- needs a pocket QB -- style offense with a dominant running game. Romo is in more of the Brett Farve mold, and can utilize some of the timing throws and lots of the multi read stuff. Unfortunately for Dallas, those QB's are few and far between.

My reason for Cardale Jones is that he could come in an sit behind Romo for three to four years, and learn, but already has the physical tools to play really either style offense. He is big enough, and with a strong enough arm to play the timing style offense, but still have enough athleticism to play like a Cam Newton style offense as well.

With that said, I don't think Cardale Jones is a first rounder, so I think you draft the best defensive player available in the first round. I would probably draft the best defensive players available in the first three rounds. Then give me Cardale Jones and Jakeem Grant in the mid rounds. Give me the Matthews center from Texas A&M right after them.

My personal belief is that no matter what, you won't win a Superbowl with Jason Garrett anyway because he wants it his way instead of him adapting to do what is the best of the players he has. Adapt to the strengths of the players you have instead of the RKG way. Dallas hasn't had a lack of talent -- heck Christine Michael being the leading rusher in Minn at -3 degrees and in this game rushed for more yards than AP proves that to me. I just don't think Jason Garrett can utilize talent unless that talent is both what "he" wants and it fits "his" scheme to perfection.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If we're not going to pick a quarterback at #4, then we need to trade down. Too many players with not a lot to separate them from any other for us to stay put #4.

If we trade down, I say get the running back, corner and quarterback within your first four picks.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
This "must be able to play right away" mentality for our first round pick the writer expressed drives me crazy. Does the future of the franchise mean nothing? Does he really think a CB will help take us over the edge to Superbowl glory?

Our defensive scheme works best with zone DBs, which supposedly are easier to get than great man DBs. Just get a couple mid level CBs in FA who are good in zone and you'd probably see no downgrade from Claiborne/Carr at all and maybe even an upgrade. Forget spending high picks on them, because even when the next Deion Sanders comes out (what the thought Claiborne would be) we can't do anything with them anyway. CB is just about the worst position for US at least to spend our #4 overall pick on.

Get the QB for the future while you can without resorting to sifting through trash.

Alexander

Reaction score
This "must be able to play right away" mentality for our first round pick the writer expressed drives me crazy. Does the future of the franchise mean nothing? Does he really think a CB will help take us over the edge to Superbowl glory?

Our defensive scheme works best with zone DBs, which supposedly are easier to get than great man DBs. Just get a couple mid level CBs in FA who are good in zone and you'd probably see no downgrade from Claiborne/Carr at all and maybe even an upgrade. Forget spending high picks on them, because even when the next Deion Sanders comes out (what the thought Claiborne would be) we can't do anything with them anyway. CB is just about the worst position for US at least to spend our #4 overall pick on.

I have yet to see any team go from worst to first on the back of a top ten stud cornerback.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
This logic is why I think JJ will go hard after either RGIII or Manziel this offseason and grab a QB later in the draft. He wants to put an impact player on the field starting week one while Romo is still his QB. They will grab Treadwell, Bosa or one of the DBs, possibly trading out for more picks.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
I would be in board completely with trading down as far as I can in the first, to snag a few more 3rd rounders and an extra 2nd. My first trade partner would target SF if Goff is still around. Is going from 7 to 4 worth a 3rd or 2nd? Target Wentz in a trade down and snag Smith at LB with the trade downs. You could potentially make 3 trade downs and still get Elliot or Wentz in the first.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I'd be pretty disappointed if they went in this direction. Neither our future starter at QB nor an immediate impact player. Yuck.