News: DMN: Gil Brandt: Dak Prescott is better than Tim Tebow; why I liked the pick of Rico Gathers

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Saying Dak is a better QB than Tebow is like bragging about being the valedictorian of summer school

Well it has to be said since people even on this site said that Tebow was a better prospect than Dak or that he was better. So when he's getting mindless comparisons sometimes you have to make those same mindless comparisons to get people to understand what they re saying is wrong.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The issue with putting him at TE is you need a high football IQ to play TE. You have to be able to diagnose the coverage while you are running your route and seamlessly run the route according to that coverage. For instance, you will have a play where if it's man coverage, the TE has to run a drag route and if it's zone, he has to sit down. Not always easy to recognize pre-snap and if you're running the route, you can't afford to even have a hint of a mis-step. Tough to see a guy with no real football experience doing this well. Of course, if you put him at DE, now you need a guy that needs to understand the hand techniques, the lateral bending and be interested in tackling.

To me, it's likely a wasted pick. Antonio Gates was an All-State football player in high school in Michigan. I'm amazed how many scouts fail to recognize this and just think that any former basketball player 'has a chance' because Gates was successful in the NFL.

YR

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Saying Dak is a better QB than Tebow is like bragging about being the valedictorian of summer school

Only if that summer school won a national championship and that valedictorian a Heisman trophy.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
His wife was pregnant and be needed a job. Great analysis Gil.
Gil makes a point of getting to know the families of prospects. So I'm sure there's some truth to it. He's a bit like that scout in Moneyball that said he didn't want a player because he had an ugly girlfriend, which meant he had confidence issues.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
His wife was pregnant and be needed a job. Great analysis Gil.

yeah lol he did not really say anything that was good about him.

It was kinda a veiled insult !
So maybe he doesnt really like the pick so he says that stuff.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The question may end up being "is Prescott better than Cardale Jones"?
or someone else taken later...

Hope so

lkelly

Reaction score
I swear anytime the talking heads say a player coming out of college will be the next whoever it never works out

I laugh at how often somebody says that so and so will never make it to the practice squad and will immediately be snatched up by some team that just so happens to have the same roster limits as Dallas and also has a slew of tough final cuts that actually spent a month or more learning their playbook and performed under the close watchful eye of their coaching staff. Shocking when the Dallas player is cut and gets no calls to sign on another team's active roster. It's like divine intervention. Or maybe just common sense. NFL roster spots are tough to come by for rookies unless you are picked in the first two days. Those players have a year or two of grace period since the GM hates to admit that he made such a glaring error a few months after the draft.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Well, now I can sleep at night knowing Dak Prescott is a better pro prospect than Tim Tebow.

One smart guy mentions the Heisman Trophy and national championships... That's college.
One playoff win... divine intervention, maybe.
All I remember is him missing a wide open RB (Moreno) on a roll out pas in the flat... threw it 7 feet over the RB's head while he was only 20 feet away from him.

If Tebow was a Dallas Cowboy, fans would've nailed him to a cross and set it on fire.

silver

Reaction score
Dak Prescott will be forerever compared to Lynch, Hackenberg, Cook, and Brissett, i.e. guys we passed on in this draft that were brought in for a visit.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Lol.. Love it when folks use the term "wasted pick" so loosely.. As if there's a sure thing when picking a fourth or even a sixth rounder. When studies have shown that only 33% of 1st rounders ever pan out. Relax people

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
At least Dak has something very positive going for him, in that he had a solid rep as a hard worker during his college career and improved steadily throughout. I'm encouraged that it'll stand him in good stead despite a tough transition. As far as Rico, it's a big jump from basketball to football in the pros. Good luck there. It'll surely take time and patience, but his measurable are huge.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Here's what I meant to say in my original post: At least Dak has something very positive going for him, in that he had a solid rep as a hard worker during his college career and improved steadily throughout. I'm encouraged that it'll stand him in good stead despite a tough transition. As far as Rico, it's a big jump from basketball to football in the pros. Good luck there. It'll surely take time and patience, but his measurable are huge.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wasted pick if he isn't. So yes, I sure hope so.

Honestly............ he's a 6th rounder. It's not like we passed on a stud for him.

Gathers is precisely the type you should be taking in the 6th and 7th round...........

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

He didn't say a better QB he said a better "football player." Not saying it makes a lot of difference but many thought Tebow was a good "football player" but not a good QB.