News: DMN: Gosselin: Why I'm hesitant to crown Cowboys NFC's best right now

Hardline

Reaction score
Just for the record. I'm not ready to crown the Cowboys as the NFC best either.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Who cares if you let the Eagles complete 32 passes when they were held to 200 yards and were throwing 4 yard passes all day. They treat passes like most teams treat running the ball.

This guy gets attention by going against the grain.

Troll.

Guy is a tool.

Vikings-give me a break.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Columnist Rick Gosselin recently held a chat to talk all things D-FW sports. Here are some highlights:
Do you think the Cowboys are the NFC's unquestioned best team? I'm hesitant ...

Gosselin: Long season. I still think both the Commanders and the Eagles will have a say in the NFC East race. And I still have reservations about this defense. To allow the Eagles with that pedestrian an offense to complete 32 passes and control the ball for 33 minutes in regulation concerned me. Better quarterbacks and better offenses show up down the road. Keep an eye on Atlanta and Minnesota as well. The Falcons have the best offense in the NFL and the Vikings the best defense. I'm ready to declare the Patriots as the best team in the AFC but I'm not sold yet on anyone in the NFC.

I agree that we needed to a better job on time of possession, but the Eagles completed so many passes because they were throwing line-of-scrimmage and short-yardage passes. It was easy to see that Dallas was willing to give up those passes, especially on third down, and tackle them short of the first down. Sometimes numbers just don't tell the whole story, Rick. I had little trouble with what we allowed in the passing game and more trouble with Dallas letting Sproles rip off chunks of yardage over and over again.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You mean you "Couldn't" care less. When you say could.. that means there is more for you to care. Couldn't means there isn't any further you can care.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, should listen to "Word Crimes" by Weird Al Yankovic.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Except for the Patriots every team has a weakness. The team that gets hot at the end of the season will win the NFC. Hopefully that's us with Daks continued improvement.
This. In my many years have seen many teams start off playing very well and even dominant. They get nicked up, get cocky, get soft or the better opposing coordinators start uncovering weaknesses (Vikings, Atlanta). Also other teams start finding their legs and get hot.
Lots can happen a lot of season left.
On the other hand I think this team is solid and sees that it still need improvement. Garrett and Linehan are is going to have to keep this team motivated and attempt to keep them healthy while becoming even more innovative with their game plan strategies. We cannot keep running the same plays and formations and using gimmicks to win. Most have worked so far but we have to stay unpredictable.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He's not even hesitant, the title is there to get people to read. The word hesitant was used by a reader in his/her question, all he really said is the Cowboys have some competition - which they do.

Thank you for providing a sensible reply to the overreaction response.
I'm glad we're at 6-1, but the season isn't over just yet and there's still a lot of football to play.
But I think this team is going to get stronger down the stretch - barring injury, of course.
The key is time of possession, scoring, keeping our defense fresh and even more maturity by Dak (he's growing game by game).
I look at the Vikings and their offensive line is suspect and getting worse. And the lack of AP is really catching up to them.
The Falcons are more of a passing team. I don't know if they have a running game suited for the stretch run.
I like where we are, but that's as far as I'm willing to project.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Goose's takes all suck. This one's no different if last week's game gave him specific concerns about the defense. It was their best game of the season by a wide mark.

Once he stopped doing the one thing he was good at, his football opinions could safely be completely disregarded as far as I'm concerned. I'm kind of surprised he's still got a job, frankly.

ringmaster

Reaction score
Who cares if you let the Eagles complete 32 passes when they were held to 200 yards and were throwing 4 yard passes all day. They treat passes like most teams treat running the ball.

This guy gets attention by going against the grain.

Troll.
Agreed superonyx it really takes a special person to listen to such a clown like Gosselin or read his crappy articles as for a complete team in the NFL imo there are no complete teams in the NFL every team has some deficiencies including the Patriots whose team is 7-1 and for the trolls like Gosselin he really can't handle what he thought would be a struggling Cowboys team without Romo being 6-1 with a rookie QB as for the Eagles game this past Sunday, the defense played as good as we hoped they would and the media is treating it as if Wentz, outplayed Dak and of course he had a better percentage than that of Dak throwing 4 yd passes all game long and the defense only held him to barely over 200yds in the end we know that Dak was the better QB regardless of how he played in about 3qrts. This defense is a scrappy bunch very opportunistic with TOs the only thing that is holding them back is a consistent pass rush in time that side of the ball will get more playmakers we can be sure of that in the end this team is in position for the postseason and I'm not afraid to say it compete for a shot in Houston in the SB if the offense can keep the defense off the field with any team easier said than done though as they have been doing and coming away with TDs then why not the Cowboys and Gosselin can kick rocks.

Plankton

Reaction score
Goose's takes all suck. This one's no different if last week's game gave him specific concerns about the defense. It was their best game of the season by a wide mark.

Once he stopped doing the one thing he was good at, his football opinions could safely be completely disregarded as far as I'm concerned. I'm kind of surprised he's still got a job, frankly.

While I agree that Gosselin is not a voice that I place a lot of credence in, I disagree with the bolded. The defense was much better in the Bengal game than they were on Sunday night.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Growing tired of the OL being used against Dallas. Hey, they were drafted like most every lineman. Every team in the NFL had a shot at these guys.

Dallas took its lumps rebuilding with crappy seasons. The offensive line was deliberate. Why not recognize.......it's getting old.

ringmaster

Reaction score
Guy is a tool.

Vikings-give me a break.
The Vikings really Gosselin the same Vikings team who lost to a struggling Bears team last night the same Bears team mind you who the Cowboys dominated on SNF weeks ago yeah whatever Gosselin.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
He's hesitant because he's a troll.

YR
He's not reading the question being asked of him. Are they the best in the NFC ("Are" implies right now/at this point in time)? It's actually a simple "yes" or "no" answer...I would say they are based on conference play up to now, but it doesn't matter one iota. That question only matters come play off time.
But you are also right about him being a troll...he has taken on the personality of "Mr. Negative" in order to increase his clicks (he's counting on controversy equaling popularity). Can't stand the guy and don't give a crap one way or the other about his opinions.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Long season. I still think both the Commanders and the Eagles will have a say in the NFC East race. And I still have reservations about this defense. To allow the Eagles with that pedestrian an offense to complete 32 passes and control the ball for 33 minutes in regulation concerned me.
Gosselin, did you watch the 32 completions? idiot

ringmaster

Reaction score

Right Idgit Gosselin is just upset that the Cowboys isn't struggling with a rookie QB and them being 6-1 really is hurting him in the writing department so in an desperate attempt for attention he is now saying that the Cowboys aren't a "complete" team yeah ok loser.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
This is not college football...so the "rankings" don't influence me much. But I find it funny that MANY experts thought Minny was the best team in the NFC...with that putrid offense. But Dallas cannot be the best team in the NFC because of our average defense?

CVN68_Cowboys

Reaction score
This is not college football...so the "rankings" don't influence me much. But I find it funny that MANY experts thought Minny was the best team in the NFC...with that putrid offense. But Dallas cannot be the best team in the NFC because of our average defense?

Many myopic people think there is only one way to win big in the NFL. The facts do not support this, of course, but people love their decades old talking points.