News: DMN: Gosselin: Why the only QB I'd consider signing off the street would be Tim Tebow

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
The only QB that I would even consider bringing in thats available is Vick and I can't believe I said that. I think he would be a good backup here for some reason......

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I sure hate that all these coaches and GMs can't figure out how to use Tim Tebow. It's easy to see he has the perfect skill set for team chaplain.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He averaged 69 yards passing yards per game in his three years there......defense won their games not Tebow

How many yards on the ground did he average? The point remains, the Broncos did not have a dominant D during Tebow's season he started and took his team to the playoffs. How many yards he passed for is secondary to the outcome. Tebow was a contributing factor in those Bronco wins, he was not Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson.

JPostSam

Reaction score
Columnist Rick Gosselin recently held a chat to talk all things D-FW sports. Here are some highlights:
Question: Are there any free agents out there the Cowboys could sign to replace Kellen Moore?

Gosselin: If you can throw, you're in an NFL camp. The only arm on the street I'd consider would be Tim Tebow. He's won games in the NFL. He won a playoff game in the NFL. I always thought there was a place in the NFL for a quarterback of Tebow's skills. I'm just surprised some NFL offensive coordinator hasn't figured out a way to utilize what he brings to the table. And he's a high character player. You can never have enough of those in your locker room.

Question: How excited should we be about Claiborne's training camp?

Gosselin: I don't get very excited about what I hear or see in the OTAs or training camp because, by and large, there's no hitting and very little contact. You play football with pads. That's when you judge players. The preseason will gives us all a better idea if this revitalized Mo Claiborne is the player the Cowboys thought they drafted a few years back. I start the evaluation process when they actually start playing football. That hasn't happened yet.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FULL CHAT

Twitter: @RickGosselinDMN

Get the latest Cowboys news here | Follow dmn_cowboys on Twitter | Like our Cowboys Facebook page here

Continue reading...

i'm just imagining the embarassment that the editors felt as they sent this to print.

joseephuss

Reaction score
How many yards on the ground did he average? The point remains, the Broncos did not have a dominant D during Tebow's season he started and took his team to the playoffs. How many yards he passed for is secondary to the outcome. Tebow was a contributing factor in those Bronco wins, he was not Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson.

There are many factors as to why Denver made it to the playoffs that season. Tebow played a part, but I think that part gets way overblown. The Broncos lost their final 3 regular season games of 2011 and still made the playoffs with an 8-8 record. That is how bad the AFC West was, which was a bigger factor as to why Denver made the playoffs. Any team would have trouble replicating those wins with Tebow as the QB. Tebow was also a contributing factor in those losses that season. His inability to read defenses and complete passes severely limited their offense in blowout losses. We would have seen the same thing in Dallas last season if he were around. Big freaking deal if someone thinks he is better than Kellen Moore. He wouldn't be much better and it would not helped Dallas make the playoffs. So what if Dallas wins 1 single game more while Romo is out. That is nothing.

Quarterbacks don't get better being away from the game. They need reps whether during the game and at least in practice, training camp and OTAs. He hasn't gotten that in a couple of years.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Tim Tebow had the throwing mechanics of Rivers, body like a TE, and accuracy that compared to Kordell Stewart. He sucked, and no, I don't care about that semi-decent stretch he had in 2011. He was trash, there is no other comparison at QB to Tebow because he was a hybrid of things that just don't work at the QB position.

He was a guy who should have went and tried to be a TE early in his career, but instead, had too much pride and wanted to stick to QB.

joseephuss

Reaction score
They are nothing alike. Comparison is dumb and you should be ashamed.

Prescott is very much in the mold of Russell Wilson.

I think the comparison is spot on between Tebow and Prescott. Very similar in size and build. They are similar in terms of speed and quickness, arm strength and passing ability.

Russell Wilson is smaller than both guys, but has a stronger arm, throws a better ball and is quicker.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I think the comparison is spot on between Tebow and Prescott. Very similar in size and build. They are similar in terms of speed and quickness, arm strength and passing ability.

Russell Wilson is smaller than both guys, but has a stronger arm, throws a better ball and is quicker.

The comparison is so far off, it's unreal to me. About the only comparison that can be made here is that they were hard to tackle after the run due to strength and Russell Wilson seems to be more elusive.

But when it comes to you know, the most important aspect of the QB position, there is no comparison. Mechanics? Vastly different, again, Tebow had mechanics like Rivers. While they have been tweaking or polishing up Prescott's throwing mechanics, he is FAR closer to your typical QB in that regard. You then have the simple things like dropping back, posture in the pocket, and accuracy which Tebow absolutely failed at. The comparison is so left field outside of running I'm not entirely sure why it's anyone's first thought when bringing up Prescott outside of wanting to criticize him.
1466464909-NS_25COWBOYS09AJ_50733017.JPG

russell-wilson-4.jpg

nfl_i_tebow_576.jpg

joseephuss

Reaction score
The comparison is so far off, it's unreal to me. About the only comparison that can be made here is that they were hard to tackle after the run due to strength and Russell Wilson seems to be more elusive.

But when it comes to you know, the most important aspect of the QB position, there is no comparison. Mechanics? Vastly different, again, Tebow had mechanics like Rivers. While they have been tweaking or polishing up Prescott's throwing mechanics, he is FAR closer to your typical QB in that regard. You then have the simple things like dropping back, posture in the pocket, and accuracy which Tebow absolutely failed at. The comparison is so left field outside of running I'm not entirely sure why it's anyone's first thought when bringing up Prescott outside of wanting to criticize him.

I saw many of Prescott's college games. He reminded me a lot more of Tebow than Wilson. The comparison is not far off at all. I think your position would probably be different if Prescott were on a different team. Maybe Prescott has slightly better mechanics than Tebow, but he isn't as good a passer as Wilson was at the same point in his career.

I'm not sure what the point of a few still photos was supposed to be. A picture may be worth a 1000 words, but it takes much more than a 1000 words to describe a good NFL QB.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I saw many of Prescott's college games. He reminded me a lot more of Tebow than Wilson. The comparison is not far off at all. I think your position would probably be different if Prescott were on a different team. Maybe Prescott has slightly better mechanics than Tebow, but he isn't as good a passer as Wilson was at the same point in his career.

I'm not sure what the point of a few still photos was supposed to be. A picture may be worth a 1000 words, but it takes much more than a 1000 words to describe a good NFL QB.

No, it wouldn't. There is no team bias here, I liked Prescott BEFORE we drafted him. And you want a video on Tebow's throwing motion. Here you go, there is no similarity here outside of strength on a run. Again, I want you to show me something that makes these two being compared apt.

And no, it's not "slightly better", it's vastly better. I mean dude, Tebow had some of the worst mechanics many NFL scouts had ever seen. It was that bad. I can't even think of many comparisons to Tebow due to how different he was at the QB position, and most of that is meaning a negative way. The only comparison I can make is a more athletic Philip Rivers.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll cover the bus fare.
You can stay in my garage.
Mickey D's dollar menu.
1 tube of Ben-gay.

Not worth it. Hell the bus alone is not worth it, last time I was on a greyhound bus in the early 90's it was a nightmare. Oh and McDonalds done away with it's dollar menu...get with the times oldtimer. :p

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
There are many factors as to why Denver made it to the playoffs that season. Tebow played a part, but I think that part gets way overblown. The Broncos lost their final 3 regular season games of 2011 and still made the playoffs with an 8-8 record. That is how bad the AFC West was, which was a bigger factor as to why Denver made the playoffs. Any team would have trouble replicating those wins with Tebow as the QB. Tebow was also a contributing factor in those losses that season. His inability to read defenses and complete passes severely limited their offense in blowout losses. We would have seen the same thing in Dallas last season if he were around. Big freaking deal if someone thinks he is better than Kellen Moore. He wouldn't be much better and it would not helped Dallas make the playoffs. So what if Dallas wins 1 single game more while Romo is out. That is nothing.

Quarterbacks don't get better being away from the game. They need reps whether during the game and at least in practice, training camp and OTAs. He hasn't gotten that in a couple of years.

AFC West was not nearly as bad as the NFC East was last season, heck for the last few seasons. Tebow is certainly far from perfect, finished product or even an average NFL QB. But the one thing he does really well, is just win. For a guy who can't throw worth a lick, he is a great leader and has off chart intangibles. Dak is Tebow light for these very reasons.

Thing that truly differentiates Dak and Tebow is that Tebow is a proven winner. That said, don't think even Tebow would be able to win on this team unless coaching improves.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
AFC West was not nearly as bad as the NFC East was last season, heck for the last few seasons. Tebow is certainly far from perfect, finished product or even an average NFL QB. But the one thing he does really well, is just win. For a guy who can't throw worth a lick, he is a great leader and has off chart intangibles. Dak is Tebow light for these very reasons.

Thing that truly differentiates Dak and Tebow is that Tebow is a proven winner. That said, don't think even Tebow would be able to win on this team unless coaching improves.

Tebow won one playoff game in his career, got blown out by a few teams as a starter, and couldn't even "win" a starting job after that. He had a few exciting games in his career and that's it. Dead stop. Nothing else to discuss about him.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Tebow won one playoff game in his career, got blown out by a few teams as a starter, and couldn't even "win" a starting job after that. He had a few exciting games in his career and that's it. Dead stop. Nothing else to discuss about him.

If you have nothing else to say, then sayonara matt. If you have nothing to contribute then that's on you. Tebow "only" won ONE playoff game. Do you know how many starting QBs have not even won ONE play off game? Never mind how many back up QBs. No one here has even squeaked about Tebow as the starter, that is all in your very vivid but wildly off base imagination.