News: DMN: Interactive graphic: How many games did Cowboys starters lose to injury?

visionary

Reaction score
Dallas lost the most starters for significant amount time for the season. Think about it Spencer 15 games, Ratliff 10 games, waters 10 games, ware missed what 3 games, lee missed half the season, hatcher 1 game, all of starting LB not lee missed time. Missing a game here or there is better than missing consecutive weeks.

so, what about the team whose starting QB missed 7 CONSECUTIVE games and started someone who was not on their roster to start the season?

they still made the playoffs

reality is all teams go through this sort of stuff every year
we are just clingong more to this to excuse away horrible GMing and bad coaching

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Bill Belichick is amazing.

Guy loses his two tackles, two best offensive skill players, two best defensive players... and goes 12-4.
Playing in the AFC East helps, there's half your wins right there, but I definitely agree.

The difference between him and JG is that he adapts to what he has, and JG tries to jam everyone into what he wants to do. That's why BB is one of the best to ever do it.

...Tom Brady also helps lol

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Various:

NE had it worse and played FAR better. But make no mistake injuries will probably make NE a playoff loser this week. They haven't won a SB in QUITE a long time actually.

Cobb is a beast but he is a WR2 not WR1. GB lost a ton and felt the pain. The GB fans are just happy to have made the playoffs.

NE/GB have complaints but also have more overall talent than us.
Start with better talent, suffer injuries similar to us and end better than us. Not shocking.

The "narrative" is called reality. NE and GB will both acknowledge injuries took their toll and when the history is written it won't be forgotten.
Same as when GB won a SB after losing all those starters.
Think NE folks are NOT talking about Gronk??

But again there are vast differences.
GB sucked without Rodgers and lost a lot. Because no back up replaces that.
We didn't suck without Waters because we had a solid 3rd OG in Bern.
We did suck without Ratliff and Spencer because no NFL team survives that unscathed and we compounded that with the loss of key back ups Crawford/Bass.

Dallas never really had Mo at full strength. The "narrative" is that Mo sucks.
But that's simply hogwash. He can flat cover. He simply was hurt. He couldn't raise his arms to catch the ball or challenge WR which is rather a very real problem.

Dallas has one of the 3 or 4 worst injury situations in football. And only 2 teams with worse made the playoffs. They both have top 3 QBs and EVERYTHING in place to win Super Bowls.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Dallas lost the most starters for significant amount time for the season. Think about it Spencer 15 games, Ratliff 10 games, waters 10 games, ware missed what 3 games, lee missed half the season, hatcher 1 game, all of starting LB not lee missed time. Missing a game here or there is better than missing consecutive weeks.

That would depend on who you were playing as well. Division. Key matchups. Playoff implications, etc.

Lady luck has no preference..............

Either way.....injuries happen to every team and we can piss and moan we were worse than others.

Bottom line is we still found ways to eek out at least three losses...........again.

The goal in today's parity riddled NFL is to eek out wins.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Playing in the AFC East helps, there's half your wins right there, but I definitely agree.

The difference between him and JG is that he adapts to what he has, and JG tries to jam everyone into what he wants to do. That's why BB is one of the best to ever do it.

...Tom Brady also helps lol

So would playing in the NFC East..............Dallas damn near swept it only to lose games they should've won. On paper and on the field.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
This is going to go over like a lead balloon with certain posters, but it gives me an idea. He he.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
So would playing in the NFC East..............Dallas damn near swept it only to lose games they should've won. On paper and on the field.
I think the NFC East is tougher than the AFC East.

Philly could give NE a run for their money and both Dallas and the Giants could beat any other team in that division. Commanders and Buffalo are so terrible that you can't say whose better lol

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BTW, Goose is largely football stupid.
And it is a shame because he does try to be a voice of reason.
This article is an example of that.

You don't compare injuries in this simplistic way and then use it as a thesis of anything.

You don't talk about Stevie Brown as a major loss.
There are Giants fans that have no idea who that guy is.
He's started 11 games in his life and in on his 4th NFL team.
He's basically Will Allen that Dallas cut.

Bryan Bulaga missing hurt in GB, but calling his 16 game absence in an LT position he hadn't ever started larger than Rodgers missing 7 games is basically stupid.
Bulaga's replacement played LT for GB in 2012. In fact Bulaga only played 9 games in 2012 at RT(allowing 4 sacks) before injury. He's the Cowboys version of Mo Claiborne. A guy with potential that hasn't proven much of anything yet. Cobb, Finey and Rodgers were all bigger losses.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think the "who" is more important than the "how many"

BG and NE I think are the only two teams that have had it worse.

Exactly. Not only is the number wrong, its about the position the player was at. If you are playing your 4th option at a position other teams can target, opponents can destroy the entire defense based on its weakest link.

I think the thing they are missing in claiming 62 games lost to injury is saying that the "Starter" was the person left standing at a position at the end of training camp. By that measure, Nick Hayden played 16 games and his position counts as zero games missed even though he was the 4th option at the position at the start of training camp. That ignores 48 games missed by Rat, Crawford and Bass. And even then, Hayden played through injuries because there was no one behind him and he was desperately needed.

Reactions: Ken

locked&loaded

Reaction score
James jones lead the league in touchdowns last year....

Jordy is their best wr.

Cobb is talented, they use him all over including rb. They also throw a lot of short passes to him to open up the deeper stuff. But Jordy is their best wr.

But ya, you don't have to tell me about the packers, Ive lived in Wisconsin my whole life, and have missed like 3 games in 20 years

Are you kidding? Cobb was their hands down top guy last season and was ranked as a Top 15 WR by many NFL experts. He wasn't a WR 3 at all. In his second year he had 80 receptions and 8 TDS and turned into the main man for Rodgers. Nothing against Nelson and Jones but Cobb is the most talented.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
James jones lead the league in touchdowns last year....

Jordy is their best wr.

Cobb is talented, they use him all over including rb. They also throw a lot of short passes to him to open up the deeper stuff. But Jordy is their best wr.

But ya, you don't have to tell me about the packers, Ive lived in Wisconsin my whole life, and have missed like 3 games in 20 years

I'm not trying to tell you about them. I was just saying that going into this season Cobb has led the team in receptions and yards..and had 8 TDs. He was he most talented guy. Jones was known as a drops guy who improved in TDs but wasn't the most talented guy. Nelson was closer. I just think you acting like Cobb wasn't as big a loss because he is more of a #3 is false...I don't care how long you've lived there. If you want to say Rodgers loves all 3 and distributes as he sees fit, I'm fine with that too. I just thought it was slightly disingenuous to make a point by painting Cobb as a 3rd wheel./

Ken

Reaction score
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...s-in-games-lost-by-starters-due-to-injury.ece

I would have guessed we would have been closer to the most in the league.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

16-5 = half? whoa

Flinger

Reaction score
Who freaking cares about what the other teams had to deal with?

The Dallas Cowboys had to deal with 41 Defensive players playing 11 positions in 2013. Let that sink in a moment. 41.

20 of those played defensive line. 4 positions. 20 players.

We ended the season with the division on the line without our starting QB and with a 4th string rookie MLB.

Who freaking cares what happens to other teams. It's a miracle this team competed for the division at all. And, the reason they did is because of excellent coaching.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
I'm not trying to tell you about them. I was just saying that going into this season Cobb has led the team in receptions and yards..and had 8 TDs. He was he most talented guy. Jones was known as a drops guy who improved in TDs but wasn't the most talented guy. Nelson was closer. I just think you acting like Cobb wasn't as big a loss because he is more of a #3 is false...I don't care how long you've lived there. If you want to say Rodgers loves all 3 and distributes as he sees fit, I'm fine with that too. I just thought it was slightly disingenuous to make a point by painting Cobb as a 3rd wheel./

Its cool. James Jones did have 14 tds last year, Cobb barely has more in about 2.5 years. Plus Jordy missed 4 games last year, which opened the door a bit for Cobb who finished with just under 1000 yards. If Jordy didn't get hurt last year he would've likely had over 1000, making it 3 years in a row over 1000 for him..

Youre right though, Rodgers spreads it around evenly.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
It is an interesting graphic but you really have to consider WHO teams lost. Also, we are being undercounted as Ratliff was released -- we lost all 16 games of a projected starter on the DL there. Count that correctly and we lost nearly 40 games on the DL alone

You can absorb losses when they are spread out -- concentrated like that though it is hard to get by