News: DMN: Jason Witten on Martellus Bennett throwing shade his way: 'He enjoys entertaining'

superonyx

Reaction score
So let me get this straight - you recognize that Bennett has burned bridges and believe these perceived slights are all in his head. But then it seems you've taken him at his word about his criticism of Witten, that Witten "didn't go out of his way." Something doesn't add up. Why would you believe his comments about Witten are true at all?
It adds up perfectly actually. I believe that Witten or ANY player will help another player that is open to help. However they will only go so far and the young player must be not just open to help but also seeking help. It's not about Witten being a good guy or bad guy here. Witten is a pro who has a job to do and his primary focus is on doing that job. He shouldn't be expected to go out of his way to mold some immature, aloof big mouth like Bennett.

Bennetts burned bridges have nothing to do with his perceived slights. His bridges are burned because he comes from a family that believes they can pop off at the mouth and say rude things. His bridges in Dallas are not burned because he perceived Witten as slighting him but instead because he feels he can run his big mouth about it.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
His comments on the Bears were funny,,, and for what it's worth, Martellus was (is) a favorite of mine. I could see the potential in that monster frame and I like quirky people just being themselves, let your freak flag fly! But the guy was hard to coach and unreliable,,, I'm glad things might have finally worked out for him but I'm disappointed we couldn't get more out of him early in his career.

Spot on. Agreed.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You quoted somebody who said Witten stayed away from Bennett & did nothing to help him. When you then said "Sounds like what Romo is doing with Dak", how is somebody supposed to take that?
Maybe you should re-look at post again. I even underlined what I referring to. Post 48.
I said the exact opposite.

ringmaster

Reaction score
It adds up perfectly actually. I believe that Witten or ANY player will help another player that is open to help. However they will only go so far and the young player must be not just open to help but also seeking help. It's not about Witten being a good guy or bad guy here. Witten is a pro who has a job to do and his primary focus is on doing that job. He shouldn't be expected to go out of his way to mold some immature, aloof big mouth like Bennett.

Bennetts burned bridges have nothing to do with his perceived slights. His bridges are burned because he comes from a family that believes they can pop off at the mouth and say rude things. His bridges in Dallas are not burned because he perceived Witten as slighting him but instead because he feels he can run his big mouth about it.
You're right Superonyx about both Martellus, and Michael being rude loud mouth imbeciles, one ridiculous thing Michael once said after a game against the Lions, he made a weird comment about Stafford who is from Dallas btw linking him to President Kennedy's assassination what an idiot. As for Martellus when he was here imo didn't take the coaching seriously as we know from the Hard Knocks series in which John Garrett, was his TE coach at the time they show a clip of him laughing as the coach walked off and when he was on the field when he got the opportunity he did show us some good stuff in small doses like his rookie year when he had 4 TDs other than that besides blocking his play was very inconsistent dropped passes, tipped passes that were easily intercepted and he came into a situation knowing as long as Witten was healthy and playing at a high level which he always does he was the backup and the Cowboys, at the time even envisioned a 2 TE offense due to New England's success with it. Marty B. is in a great situation with a great QB in Brady but as you said he burns bridges everywhere he's been and it wouldn't surprise us if he does it again in New England and if he feels this way about Witten, then how does he feels about Gronk in the end Witten wasn't his problem his me attitude was.

jjktkk

Reaction score
If you watched the E60, you'd know why. Cutler.

The team chose Cutler over Marty B as their leader, and it was a joke.
How many excuses will Bennett get for his former teams not resigning him? He's a great talent, but his inability to be a team player, a not a me player costs him. I personally can't stand him or his brother Michael, but at least Michael knows how to play within a team's guidelines.

icup

Reaction score
57d195ef52ec2b38eb000001.png

marty b has gotta work on those people skills

Reaction score
Bennett is just not that great. He's on pace right now to barely squeak out his first 1000 yard season, and he probably won't get there because his YPC is going to come down a lot to where it belongs. He had a 3 TD game and now everybody is pretending like he's a superstar.

He's been a lazy guy since he came into the league. He wanted Witten's reps without earning them and he didn't get them.

I only wish we didn't draft Fasano/Bennett/Escobar and used those 2nd round picks on guys who are going to see the field.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
High and tight Martellus.

I get how he could resent that and being told to not be himself. But that is more on the staff. I don't know what else may have happened to create the bitter feelings. All in all, one player will be in the Hall of Fame. The other will be a player that could never stick anywhere because he was a clown.

You all kill me calling Bennett a clown. He was the best blocking TE we had on the team, hands down. Why was he a clown b/c he didn't act like Witten. Why should he have to? Why couldn't he just be himself. Let most of you go to work and everyday someone is telling you to not be you but act like your co-worker. get real. Funny how Tom Brady found him several times last week and he only left the Giants b/c he wanted a better contract. Like ALL the other players in the game. Bennett is one of the better TE in the game, now if you don't like him that's fine but don't try to tell me he isn't in the top 10 of TE in the game.

ringmaster

Reaction score
You all kill me calling Bennett a clown. He was the best blocking TE we had on the team, hands down. Why was he a clown b/c he didn't act like Witten. Why should he have to? Why couldn't he just be himself. Let most of you go to work and everyday someone is telling you to not be you but act like your co-worker. get real. Funny how Tom Brady found him several times last week and he only left the Giants b/c he wanted a better contract. Like ALL the other players in the game. Bennett is one of the better TE in the game, now if you don't like him that's fine but don't try to tell me he isn't in the top 10 of TE in the game.
Technically he is a clown and no one at least not myself is denying his abilities as a TE, he was the top TE in 2008 draft class but the guy was just lazy imo and wanted something handed to him cudos to him for wanting better opportunities to start and now he has a shoe in HOFer in Tom Brady throwing him the ball so his production on the field should increase each week but when he was in Dallas blocking aside he wasn't the TE he is now. While yes he is a top 10 TE in the league he still a basket case and calling out Witten the way he did still shows he's immature.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd love to hear his real thoughts.

LOL -- I thought it was kinda revealing when Witten mentioned how Bennett 'liked to entertain' -- I think there were some who felt having fun took precedence over knuckling down and really being serious enough in Dallas. Perhaps I'm mistaken . . . just a hunch on my part. I also believe someone on the staff criticized him for that.

Last edited:

gambit187

Reaction score
When Bennett was with us I watched him closely on Twitter. I could tell he was not fully dedicated to the craft of being a football player. He does have an incredible artistic talent. He will be a moderate success on the football field and I think he will be successful in his design and creative field. I have a feeling that if he would have focused heavily on being the next great Cowboy Tight End lots and lots of other doors would have opened up to him in his design and creative field.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
To me, the strangest thing about the last decade of Cowboys Football has been our fascination to draft a 2nd TE early to seemingly create this two-tight end threat -- a la the Patriots from years ago, and again today -- followed by our complete and utter inability to deploy such a system.

And you can't just say the reason is because we drafted bad players. Look at Bennett, who has become a tremendous player.
Get ready, we're due for another 2nd round TE in the upcoming draft. It will create mismatches and be a nightmare for DCs for years to come!

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
One guy handles things with class and the other doesn't. It's easy to see the difference in people's perception between the two players. Hell, I don't even think Patriots homers would take Bennett over Witten outside of Witten's age. If anything, outside of the cheating, Witten does things 'the Patriot way.'

It's the timeless scenario in sports...the better athlete who feels entitled and doesn't have a sense of urgency versus the less athlete who 'does things the right way', who has fully ingrained in his mind that you have to earn everything you get and handles themselves properly.

I thought Bennett was good enough to become a top tier offensive tackle if he could change positions But with his running ability and receiving skills, it would be hard to not see him as an elite Tight End. Instead, because of his attitude...and solely because of that attitude...he has become a journeyman known for unfulfilled potential and a player that despite his enormous talent, teams had little interest in keeping around. I suspect the same will happen when he's done in New England.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Get ready, we're due for another 2nd round TE in the upcoming draft. It will create mismatches and be a nightmare for DCs for years to come!

I can understand it in this year's draft if a player is worthy of it because the tread on the Witten tire is running thin. And the TE position is a key part of the offense.

The issue in the past is that drafting a 2nd TE when you have Witten and doing it in the 2nd round wasn't a smart move. Hell, we got Witten in the 3rd round. That 2nd TE behind the star TE can really be found in the later rounds like the Pats did with Hernandez. Even still, the 2nd TE really needs to be more of a blocker than a pass receiver in this scheme and those guys are not worth 2nd round picks.

Here we have Swaim who is a capable blocker, but we don't have that Witten type. And what we really need is that Witten type that can block well and catch. The pass receiving types like Antonio Gates don't really work in this scheme because of the importance of outside zone runs.

YR

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'd love to hear his real thoughts.
"Martellus..anybody knows you will do anything and say anything to get my job. If you had bothered to hold onto passes..you'd still be here. But you didn't and you gone.Are you done preaching to the choir? Good..you got your 15 minutes of fame..now move along".