News: DMN: Jason Witten on Martellus Bennett throwing shade his way: 'He enjoys entertaining'

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Don't tell me what I hope. I want Romo helping dak, and from what I've heard he's doing just that.
Reports are that he has been spending a lot of time in the film room with him after hours.

You quoted somebody who said Witten stayed away from Bennett & did nothing to help him. When you then said "Sounds like what Romo is doing with Dak", how is somebody supposed to take that?

Macnalty

Reaction score
1.4 catches a game in Dallas.

4.4 catches a game since he left.

He probably should hate Romo as he never threw him the ball. Bennett was on the field a ton during his time here. He may be the best blocking TE in the game.
My memories of him are all the drops he had when wide open. His blocking was good/great but his ability to catch was sub par.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a completely-straight male father of two in a loving and committed relationship, I'd be hard pressed not to leave my wife and marry Jason Witten if he and Tony ever broke up and he for some reason wanted me to.
Why wouldn't he! LOL

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You may be right. But if so he is a better person than I am. No way I'm teaching some grown man what he needs to do to ruin my next contract negotiation leverage. I couldn't go home and kiss my wife and kids knowing I am taking food from their mouth and giving it to some big goofball who doesn't know how to figure out how to be a professional on his own.
Now send over the running backs, WRs, QBs ect....keep the TE's away from me.

I'd be surprised if Witten ever thought of Bennett as a threat to his job, especially with the two-tight end offense we wanted to use as our base. Maybe if Fasano and Escobar come out and say something similar.

CWR

Reaction score

He probably should hate Romo as he never threw him the ball. Bennett was on the field a ton during his time here. He may be the best blocking TE in the game.

Its been awhile but I remember alot of the balls he did get thrown bouncing off his hands. I believe if he came in and kept his mouth shut and realized hes going to start off as the low man on the totem he would have grinded his way into both Witten and Romos admiration. I cant see a guy thats doing all the right thing to help his team be anything less than appreciated. Witten being the alpha or not, I think hed like and respect a guy like that. Bennet for all his talent behaved like a clown publicly so I can safely assume he was a clown in the locker room.

CWR

Reaction score
As a completely-straight male father of two in a loving and committed relationship, I'd be hard pressed not to leave my wife and marry Jason Witten if he and Tony ever broke up and he for some reason wanted me to.

Sweet, Ill take Tony then.

CWR

Reaction score
I remember stories about Witten trying to teach him things and he wouldn't listen, he didn't want to "do things like Witten" so Jason just gave up on him, why waste his time? Dallas and Chicago wasted a lot of money and time getting Marty to this point and then Belichick swoops in at the end to finally get solid production out of him... lol, that Belichick really is a genius.

Pretty soon Gronk will be 100 percent again and Bennet will be sucking his thumb in the corner wondering why Tommy like Rob better.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I'd rather not hear those real thoughts. Not publicly anyway. I like how Witten chose to stay above the fray and in the process, quietly make MB look more the fool. But here's my guess at it.

"...Marty is a good player. He really is. He enjoys entertaining, but I'm glad he's in a good place now and he's having a good year so far. He is, he's a good football player."
Translation: His childish comments aren't really worth my attention. He's more about flash than substance, and he's good. Not great. Good.​

"Hey look, I've always taken a lot of pride in that I want to play and play at a high level,"
Translation: If he's not good enough to play at a high enough level to beat me out, he won't get to play. He wanted it handed to him.

"I'm always communicating and helping and all of that stuff. And there is a part of the business that I get. Martellus probably wanted his opportunity and to be able to go play and I get that. I don't know where all that really kind of stems from. So that's why I said I know he's in a good place."

Translation: I communicated and he was too dense and entitled to listen. Opportunities are earned, not gift-wrapped and if he decided to hate me because I wouldn't roll over for him, that's not worth wasting my time. Now he's a 2nd TE where he belongs and with a coach who won't take his crap for long.

"For me, every day you've got to go prove it and you've got to go earn it and that's something I have a chip on my shoulder and it really gives me confidence because that's the way I approach it."
Translation: I work hard and I'm not giving my job to someone who wouldn't work as hard as I do.

"...I'm a better player because of that [competition] and I think hopefully other people would say the same things."
Translation: MB was a whiny child who couldn't understand that he had to earn the job and was too lazy do it. I hoped he might one day understand what it takes to be great, but he obviously doesn't.​

How was that?

"Get outta my head!"...... lol

GoJacks

Reaction score
Witten is an alpha dog. He saw Martellus as a threat, so he didn't want to give him an edge.

I can see how Martellus could be salty, but at the same time.... you could've got better by just watching Witten work. He had a front row seat.
You really think he didn't offer him any help because... whatever. Bennett is an idiot.

BigD16

Reaction score
I'm just surprised Martellus took a break from his finger painting (or whatever "artistic" crap he's into these days), to do something football related... even if it is just to trash other players and teams. I'm hoping for the worst for him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Its funny to read Dak Prescott say Witten was a big part of his development and then read the opposite from Bennett.

Given a choice between the two of who to believe...... Do I actually have to type the rest of that?

sideon

Reaction score
I think Marty B has become a good player in this league. But he was not all that good here. I remember him dropping balls and being sloppy in his routes, which the main reason he didn't get a lot of targets while in Dallas. I think he knew he would never be the man here and just didn't put in the work to be great. To be the man, you got to beat the man. and he couldn't beat Witten on his worse day.
The coaching staff was real quick to give up on him, and i expect Escobar to be great somewhere else as well. If any team needs a TE they can just wait for the Cowboys to draft one for them.

T-RO

Reaction score

He had to get dumped to mature and pick up his work ethic. Happens a lot with young immature kids in the NFL.

All I remember about him was his little recording studio and his attempts to make it in pop music.

But yes...very talented and better blocker than Witten.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
I can't blame Witten for not going out of his way to help train someone who may replace him. It would be strange for someone to actually do that. Especially when Witten still planned to play for so many years.

There is a reason Martelus Bennett has been on several teams and has burned bridges everywhere he has played. It had nothing to do with Witten and everything to do with the brain in Marty B.'s head.

So let me get this straight - you recognize that Bennett has burned bridges and believe these perceived slights are all in his head. But then it seems you've taken him at his word about his criticism of Witten, that Witten "didn't go out of his way." Something doesn't add up. Why would you believe his comments about Witten are true at all?