News: DMN: Jerry Jones: 'Too optimistic' to think about Dak playing so well he remains starter...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger is not going to give legs to a QB controversy before Dak even plays a real game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In other words , Jerry doesn't want to entertain the possibility or idea of a QB controversy .

His focus is to sell hope now with Dak and with the return of Romo.

HomeBiscuit

Reaction score
Jerry's deep and personal connection/loyalty to his favorite players is what makes Jerry THE BEST owner in all professional sports in this country.. and what makes him a not very objective GM.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The perfect scenario IMO for Jerry not having a QB controversy is for Dak to look like he's our heir apparent going about .500 keeping us in contention until Romo returns.

An awful performance would leave doubts he's nothing more than a potential backup. But a great performance could spell doom for Romo returning or at least provide more pressure for Romo to continue a winning streak per say.

This is a very dicey situation. It would be extremely difficult to bench Dak if he lights it up and if you did and Romo struggled....

Jerry had thought about it but he doesn't want to think about it and would never disclose in public.

Their focus is trying to win a few games without Romo but if not the Romo lure is still there . This is going to be very interesting how it plays out and then there's also that Dak could play well but our defense cost us games.

One thing for sure Jerry and the Cowboys have the drama to sell this season . Should be a great year for revenue .

phildadon86

Reaction score
I have never seen the words "too optimistic" ever come from Jerry Jones.

Now I've heard it all.

:omg:
First take surprisingly made some sense to me yesterday. Don't know if you caught it. However, the new guy was saying something along the lines of if we can stay above 500 in our division, and Romo comes back with like 5-6 games left, we can make a real push. A la the Giants on their first Superbowl run. Getting healthy at the right time, and getting Romo back could help us make a significant push. Especially if Zeke has the year we are all expecting.

ksadler1

Reaction score
First take surprisingly made some sense to me yesterday. Don't know if you caught it. However, the new guy was saying something along the lines of if we can stay above 500 in our division, and Romo comes back with like 5-6 games left, we can make a real push. A la the Giants on their first Superbowl run. Getting healthy at the right time, and getting Romo back could help us make a significant push. Especially if Zeke has the year we are all expecting.

I think that could work both ways. The players already like Dak. If he lights it up on the field, there's no doubt that some players will not be happy if they pull him because of loyalty to Romo. Winning is the goal and if Dak is winning you stick with him. Can you imagine what would happen if Dak is on a winning streak and Romo loses his first game back? I know I'm thinking way too far ahead but this better be in the FO mind.....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The biggest fear IMO is throwing Dak to wolves this early in his career could destroy any confidence moving forward.

This is one aspect Jerry is throwing out there with all the Buzz fans are feeling towards Dak.

It's cause for a pause and one to be acknowledged. Remember last year the front office cautioned our running game could struggle early on.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Looking at our schedule for the first 6 games I'd say the Bengals and Packers were very loseable even with Romo.

That doesn't include our first two divisional games and SF and Chi both on the road.

I'd say 3-3 is optimistic . 2-4 is prob more realistic which will welcome Romo back with open arms which based on the info provided thus far I'm targeting after the bye for his return.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I think that could work both ways. The players already like Dak. If he lights it up on the field, there's no doubt that some players will not be happy if they pull him because of loyalty to Romo. Winning is the goal and if Dak is winning you stick with him. Can you imagine what would happen if Dak is on a winning streak and Romo loses his first game back? I know I'm thinking way too far ahead but this better be in the FO mind.....
I think 99 percent of that locker room on the offensive side of the ball is more loyal to Romo than anyone else. However, i agree if hes on a winning streak you let Romo sit until he either loses, or that back is 1000000 percent better.