News: DMN: Jerry Jones: 'Too optimistic' to think about Dak playing so well he remains starter...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I do not see this guy losing confidence unless it's a total disaster.
Our defense could cost us a couple games Dak might play well in.

I could see Dak playing well enough and it still not being enough to win the game.

Look at the last game with Seattle. Dak played well but had to lead a drive just to tie before half.

We haven't seen Dak when we needed a second half comeback or 4th qtr miracle.

ksadler1

Reaction score
The biggest fear IMO is throwing Dak to wolves this early in his career could destroy any confidence moving forward.

This is one aspect Jerry is throwing out there with all the Buzz fans are feeling towards Dak.

It's cause for a pause and one to be acknowledged. Remember last year the front office cautioned our running game could struggle early on.

I really do think Dak has the mind-set to overcome adversity. If anyone should have failed after being "thrown to the wolves", it should have been Aikman. He inherited a brutal offense. Dak has it 10x better than Aikman's start. Dak is going to have his problems, but look at his surrounding cast. He's got a great head start. If we're expecting perfection, we'll be seriously disappointed. But I didn't expect that with Tony either.....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I really do think Dak has the mind-set to overcome adversity. If anyone should have failed after being "thrown to the wolves", it should have been Aikman. He inherited a brutal offense. Dak has it 10x better than Aikman's start. Dak is going to have his problems, but look at his surrounding cast. He's got a great head start. If we're expecting perfection, we'll be seriously disappointed. But I didn't expect that with Tony either.....
I understand . We all want to believe in him but the point of this thread is not to be " too optimistic".

I agree he has all the tools surrounding him on offense. At this point it's all speculative based on the small sample we have.

The bottom line is always about winning.

ksadler1

Reaction score
I understand . We all want to believe in him but the point of this thread is not to be " too optimistic".

I agree he has all the tools surrounding him on offense. At this point it's all speculative based on the small sample we have.

The bottom line is always about winning.

Absolutely agree. That's why I said if we're expecting perfection, we'll be disappointed. Dak is a rookie, but he has what he needs to succeed.....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think the plan is for Dak to play and when Romo is ready to take over. Of course that plan could change depending on what Dak does. I don't see much in the comment to be upset about honestly.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Dak could play lights out and we could still lose because of our defense and the suspensions for the first few games. When Romo is ready he will be the starter again, regardless. If he is rusty though for a couple of games will they stick with him or revert back to Dak?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that was the first time Booger heard about it or thought about it, where has he been? Doesn't he know he drafted Superman?

And maybe his answer wasn't to the interviewer but to his QB. Think Romo would have been trying so hard to get back in if Dak hadn't become such a rising star?

I am sure management doesn't want a QB controversy but ESPN and NFLN are begging for one.

LittleD

Reaction score
Hey, the offense and those players were hand picked for Romo. Witten, Dez, OL, Beas, all were
selected to help Romo win. Witten is a team captain and many on the OL worship Romo. Romo
will take his rightful position when and if he returns which will be sooner that most pundits think.
Romo is the QB and Dak is the backup at least for this year... Mark it down.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not see this guy losing confidence unless it's a total disaster.
I agree, he's got his head on his shoulders and in the game. He doesn't seem to buying the hype and about himself and keeping that team focus will keep the team in his corner.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We don't even know if Dak wants to be the starter at this point in his career. He knows he's just on the tip of the iceberg with the knowledge needed to play that position. We don't know what's going through his head at this point.

There is one positive to this. It's not about Dak; it's about the team and they will need to bring their A game. All he needs to do is play within himself and trust his players. If the defense can't hold them and forces him into a shootout, he will struggle as any rookie would. But, the best thing he has going for himself are the vets on that offense.

Any of his teammates see that interview, several things will jump out at them. He's composed and team oriented, he may develop swagger over time but now he's coming off as a humble teammate trusting his guys to help him.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
The biggest obstacle to a QB controversy (besides Dak being a 4th round pick drafted as a project) is the run run pass, bus driver role that Garrett and Linehan are currently crafting for Dak...

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
The perfect scenario IMO for Jerry not having a QB controversy is for Dak to look like he's our heir apparent going about .500 keeping us in contention until Romo returns.

An awful performance would leave doubts he's nothing more than a potential backup. But a great performance could spell doom for Romo returning or at least provide more pressure for Romo to continue a winning streak per say.

This is a very dicey situation. It would be extremely difficult to bench Dak if he lights it up and if you did and Romo struggled....

Jerry had thought about it but he doesn't want to think about it and would never disclose in public.

Their focus is trying to win a few games without Romo but if not the Romo lure is still there . This is going to be very interesting how it plays out and then there's also that Dak could play well but our defense cost us games.

One thing for sure Jerry and the Cowboys have the drama to sell this season . Should be a great year for revenue .

Perfectly said.

There are so many variables: If Dak wins, how Dak wins, when Dak wins, ie, early on or later on. Winning streak or losing streak, he plays good, defense plays bad, he plays bad, defense plays good, it's all over the place.

I think what Jerry is hoping for as we all are, is that Dak is Russell WIson, tearing it up and going 6-1. Probably not realistic so the hope would be he plays well enough to keep us in contention and shows great promise, but it's clear that Tony's return gives us the best chance to make the playoffs.

That way, you still have hope for the future for Dak, while Tony tries to get us in the playoffs and Dak soaks it all up and continues to learn. I'm spitballing obviously but as you said, drama to sell!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I'm more concerned with tempering the optimistic expectations of Romo coming back more so than Dak. Romo played very pedestrian last year vs. NYG, Philly, Mia, and Car. Romo needed a major Coughlin/Eli/ NYG RB brainfart and a last second comeback to beat a poor Giants team in the opener. If I recall correctly, someone pointed out that Romo took a shot on one drive early in the NGY opener last year where he seemed to have hurt his back. Against the Eagles Romo could only put up 2 FGs against a horrible Eagle defense. And didn't he injure himself after he bobbled and fumbled the ball and an Eagle jumped on him as Romo was trying to recover the ball? Against Miami Romo threw two poor picks, both bad execution and bad decision-making. Against Car he was nothing.

Even before injury last year, Romo showed not much against the NYG and Eagles and he had the best OL to work with. At this stage Romo may be a shell of his former self. It should be an open competition and if Dak brings more to the table, Dak should play. The team does not owe Romo a spot when he comes back in my opinion. Team first. Best player starts.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Well one thing I expect to see from the coaches is more of a run option early with Dak. We really haven't talked about it much but once Zeke is established, this could be deadly.

With Romo hopefully coming back, we won't have to worry about Dak wearing down as much, so perhaps this is an option.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The spokesperson for the Cowboys has always underplayed injuries and it got him cross ways with Barber and Ratliff was going to kick his butt.

I don't blame them for bringing Romo back "too early" and him getting re-injured. So much of this relies on the patient's feedback. And some of these guys will lie to get back in.

I can guarantee a miracle recovery if Dak keeps this Superman act up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We don't even know if Dak wants to be the starter at this point in his career. He knows he's just on the tip of the iceberg with the knowledge needed to play that position. We don't know what's going through his head at this point.

There is one positive to this. It's not about Dak; it's about the team and they will need to bring their A game. All he needs to do is play within himself and trust his players. If the defense can't hold them and forces him into a shootout, he will struggle as any rookie would. But, the best thing he has going for himself are the vets on that offense.

Any of his teammates see that interview, several things will jump out at them. He's composed and team oriented, he may develop swagger over time but now he's coming off as a humble teammate trusting his guys to help him.

Based on comments I have no doubt Prescott views himself as a starter and prepares himself to be the starter. Personally I think that is the nature of the game for any player to work and prepare as if they will be the starter. Coming into this situation in Dallas with a vet in place I think Prescott accepted the fact that he would be the backup but I think he will view this as an opportunity to push for the starting job. I love Romo but to be honest if Dak were to come in playing great ball and helping this team win I would not pull him.

Donhyphen

Reaction score
The spokesperson for the Cowboys has always underplayed injuries and it got him cross ways with Barber and Ratliff was going to kick his butt.

I don't blame them for bringing Romo back "too early" and him getting re-injured. So much of this relies on the patient's feedback. And some of these guys will lie to get back in.

I can guarantee a miracle recovery if Dak keeps this Superman act up.
Funny but so true.