DMN JJT Blog: More Senior Bowl (Vanderjagt and Hoffman) and Palmer

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
yes it is, we've been cheap for years at K

Nobody is denying that.

It is just that the hysterical want to imply that Parcells is much different, which is he isn't.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Nobody is denying that.

It is just that the hysterical want to imply that Parcells is much different, which is he isn't.

true, but I've never heard Jerry Jones speak about special teams, while Parcells believes a strong special teams, kicking game etc. is a key ingredient to a team's success, so IMO, if Parcells sees a problem with special teams, and the only means to improve it, is to spend money on a kicker, I bet he does it, but that's just me

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
It would also scare me that he couldn't figure out how to get a mobile quarterback like David Carr protected. It makes me wonder how he's going to get Drew Bledsoe protected.

There are only so many places you can run to.

Alexander

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
true, but I've never heard Jerry Jones speak about special teams, while Parcells believes a strong special teams, kicking game etc. is a key ingredient to a team's success, so IMO, if Parcells sees a problem with special teams, and the only means to improve it, is to spend money on a kicker, I bet he does it, but that's just me

This is not the first time he has had lousy placekicking. He had it in New England until grooming Vinatieri and in New York until he drafted John Hall. He does not make a habit of throwing money at placekickers.

Now whether he changes his mind is one thing, but to spout off like it is foregone conclusion that if we don't spend money on a kicker that it is Jerry Jones' fault is completely foolish and wrong. Jerry Jones has never been afraid to throw money at a problem and if he states that we won't start now, you can guarantee yourself that he has discussed that with Coach Parcells and it was a mutual decision.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
This is not the first time he has had lousy placekicking. He had it in New England until grooming Vinatieri and in New York until he drafted John Hall. He does not make a habit of throwing money at placekickers.

Now whether he changes his mind is one thing, but to spout off like it is foregone conclusion that if we don't spend money on a kicker that it is Jerry Jones' fault is completely foolish and wrong. Jerry Jones has never been afraid to throw money at a problem and if he states that we won't start now, you can guarantee yourself that he has discussed that with Coach Parcells and it was a mutual decision.

I'm going strictly by my opinion, but I think BP wanted to throw money at more impactful positions 1st, but also think about this, look at all the offseasons BIll has been in Dallas, who was out there at K to throw money at?

but I think what most are saying when bringing Jerry Jones into the blame, is that many just bash Parcells, say he's cheap, and then go on to say that Jerry Jones needs to put his foot down, but in this situation, Jerry has as much right to the blame as Parcells does, hell, the same people who bash Parcells about the kicking situation, want Steve Hoffman back, that was Jerry being cheap at K to the fullest

superpunk

Reaction score
Alexander said:

When have the Cowboys under Jones EVER thrown money at a kicker. I don't think all the blame lies with Parcells on this one.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
When have the Cowboys under Jones EVER thrown money at a kicker. I don't think all the blame lies with Parcells on this one.

yep, that's all we're saying

Alexander

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I'm going strictly by my opinion, but I think BP wanted to throw money at more impactful positions 1st, but also think about this, look at all the offseasons BIll has been in Dallas, who was out there at K to throw money at?

but I think what most are saying when bringing Jerry Jones into the blame, is that many just bash Parcells, say he's cheap, and then go on to say that Jerry Jones needs to put his foot down, but in this situation, Jerry has as much right to the blame as Parcells does, hell, the same people who bash Parcells about the kicking situation, want Steve Hoffman back, that was Jerry being cheap at K to the fullest

Hoffman would be continuing the "cheap" ways and poor placekicking, except we would be paying him to coach the refuse. So what does everyone want? Throw money at Vanderjagt and also hire Hoffman? Why?

Anyone who pines away for the "glory days" of Hoffman obviously has an ax to grind with Coach Parcells and is painting much too rosy a picture of our placekicking during his tenure. It was nothing special and in many ways, unnecessary.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
vicjagger said:
Now that's both a scary thought and a painful memory.

"4th & 1? I don't have a play for 4th & 1."

I heard about that but I don't remember that

could you explain it? sounds pretty bad

Alexander

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
yep, that's all we're saying

And what I am saying is that while that is true, it is idiotic to depict the Joneses as standing in the way if Parcells wanted one. Because chances are, he has no desire to spend money on a kicker either.

wileedog

Reaction score
superpunk said:

But I think Alexander's point is valid that if Bill really wanted to blow big money on a kicker, he could probably push Jerry into it, and Bill never has done that in the past either.

Hopefully someone like Nedney will fall into a 'reasonable' price range...

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Anyone who pines away for the "glory days" of Hoffman obviously has an ax to grind with Coach Parcells and is painting much too rosy a picture of our placekicking during his tenure. It was nothing special and in many ways, unnecessary

:hammer:

superpunk

Reaction score
wileedog said:
But I think Alexander's point is valid that if Bill really wanted to blow big money on a kicker, he could probably push Jerry into it, and Bill never has done that in the past either.

That's actually who I was hoping for. At least he's not an old guy. But with two guys, never really known to value kickers that much, running the show, who knows what will happen. Hopefully Bill learned his lesson this year, about the importance of a good PK. If losing 3 games against playoff teams (who you're not gonna beat by a big margin no matter what) doesn't wake you up, I don't know what will.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Former player sounds off on Palmer...

Just hung up the phone with Ryan Young, who was the starting right tackle for the Houston Texans in 2002. Young, who also spent a season with the Cowboys, is the last guy you'd expect to criticize a coach, but here's what he had to say about former Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer, who will probably accept a similar position with the Cowboys soon:

"I thought he did a bad job with David Carr," Young said. "He used a blocking scheme that didn't work at all. It was a horrible scheme."

Young said that Palmer employed a quick-hitting blocking scheme similar to the Colts. He combined that with a 7-step drop passing package. Carr was sacked 76 times that season.

Young said that if Carr doesn't make it in the league, he thinks Dom Capers and Palmer should receive much of the blame.

Posted by Matt Mosley http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 2:28 PM (E-mail this entry)

Alexander

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Hopefully Bill learned his lesson this year, about the importance of a good PK. If losing 3 games against playoff teams (who you're not gonna beat by a big margin no matter what) doesn't wake you up, I don't know what will.

I'd rather just score more TDs instead of worrying about kicking more FGs, but I suppose that is just me.

I suspect if you improve other areas (like the offense, for example), you will be amazed at how insignificant the position is.

The Raiders spent big money and a first round choice on their kicker and I don't see that making any impact whatsoever.

Alexander

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Former player sounds off on Palmer...

Just hung up the phone with Ryan Young, who was the starting right tackle for the Houston Texans in 2002. Young, who also spent a season with the Cowboys, is the last guy you'd expect to criticize a coach, but here's what he had to say about former Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer, who will probably accept a similar position with the Cowboys soon:

"I thought he did a bad job with David Carr," Young said. "He used a blocking scheme that didn't work at all. It was a horrible scheme."

Young said that Palmer employed a quick-hitting blocking scheme similar to the Colts. He combined that with a 7-step drop passing package. Carr was sacked 76 times that season.

Young said that if Carr doesn't make it in the league, he thinks Dom Capers and Palmer should receive much of the blame.

Posted by Matt Mosley http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 2:28 PM (E-mail this entry)

Ryan Young has not had a positive thing to say about anything about the Cowboys since he was a failure here.

His comments are not a shock.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
And what I am saying is that while that is true, it is idiotic to depict the Joneses as standing in the way if Parcells wanted one. Because chances are, he has no desire to spend money on a kicker either.

who's saying that?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
wileedog said:

but in Bill's tenure here, there has been noone worthy of big bucks at the K position, but now there's going to be this offseason, so we shall see if Bill for ourselves what Bill is...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I'd rather just score more TDs instead of worrying about kicking more FGs, but I suppose that is just me.

I suspect if you improve other areas (like the offense, for example), you will be amazed at how insignificant the position is.

The Raiders spent big money and a first round choice on their kicker and I don't see that making any impact whatsoever.

I agree with this wholeheartedly

but we're a few spots on O, noticeably an Oline, to be able to do that...for now