DMN JJT: Wade and Jerry have wrecked the team Parcells built

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
stasheroo;2396953 said:
I'm getting it just fine.

Who said it was 'all JJ's fault'?

I must have missed that post.

I see people giving him a share of blame for the lack of accountability occuring in Dallas - along with Wade Phillips.

There's plenty of that blame to go around, no need for Jerry to get all of it.

But he did hire these guys and he did sign the players here.

So he deserves a share of the blame for this team being 5-4.

I think Jerry's also done a lot of good things as owner and has the best of intentions. But he's made his share of mistakes too.

That's perfectly acceptable to me. All I'm saying is, if he gets a share of the blame, then he gets a share of the success.

Like I said, outside of injuries, no one knows what is wrong with the team right now, because if they did, they would fix it, and people are only complaining because the record doesn't meet the expectations.

Complaining about JJ being a poor GM, when he hasn't shown that recently, and WP being a sucky coach, just because of the expectations, which could have been invalid in the first place, isn't going to help things.

wileedog

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2396966 said:
Like I said, outside of injuries, no one knows what is wrong with the team right now, because if they did, they would fix it, and people are only complaining because the record doesn't meet the expectations.

If we were 5-4 but the 4 losses were close fought contests where the ball just didn't bounce our way, or even if they were spread out over the season against tough opponents I don't think you would hear half the crying, from myself included.

But the Tampa game aside (and we got lucky there with TWO dropped interceptions) this team has played terrible football for well over a month, and lost to the Commanders, Rams and Cardinals - all games we circled as wins when the schedule came out.

And last week Jerry is giving game balls to the head coach.

There's more worry here than just the record, and I think that is why the noise level is so high.

dboyz

Reaction score
This is pretty funny stuff. As i said in another thread, the media is writing the epitaph on the Cowboys season. They are so fickle; I just don't know why everyone is in lockstep with them. It's so predictable.

We've underachieved some this year, but the biggest reason we are 5-4 is having to be without Romo, Newman, Kosier, Spencer, F. Jones, and particularly without most of them for three games, and the fact we have absolute crap at the backup QB position.

In a few weeks, after we've put a few wins together, the media will be writing articles on the comeback Cowboys. It's very predictable.

The season isn't over; there are seven games to play and if the Cowboys get healthy they still have every opportunity to go to the playoffs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SultanOfSix;2396966 said:
That's perfectly acceptable to me. All I'm saying is, if he gets a share of the blame, then he gets a share of the success.

No arguments there.

SultanOfSix said:

Here's where I would disagree. This team wasn't playing up to their abilities before the injuries either, the injuries just made a bad situation worse. Shouldn't we be complaing when an obviously talented team is struggling and barely above .500? I don't lower my standards when the team underachieves. They're better than this.

SultanOfSix said:
Complaining about JJ being a poor GM, when he hasn't shown that recently, and WP being a sucky coach isn't going to help things, just because of the expectations.

Not much we say or do here will help anything either way.

But it shouldn't mean we have to accept mediocrity either.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
wileedog;2396977 said:
And last week Jerry is giving game balls to the head coach.

Which he subsequently threw away.

There's more worry here than just the record, and I think that is why the noise level is so high.

Well, there is always things to worry about in losses. It still doesn't mean that JJ is doing a poor job as a GM and that he sucks. There are lots of other factors involved.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
makes alot of sense, however,

How many games could BP win with Brad at qb?

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
This team was soft, dumb and heartless under BP and they are acting the same way under Wade. Most of them do not have the desire to win like great teams do, they don't do the preparation like great teams do and they are not accountable like great teams and players are. It is that simple...you prepare, practice hard and are mentally focused, you can win consistently in this league. If someone comes out and punches this team in the mouth, 9 times out of 10 they will roll over. The only time I can think of in the last 3 years that they did not was the Buffalo game last year. This team is all over the place when it comes to playing consistently..one week the offense shows up, two weeks later the defense may decide to play...great teams and teams that win Super Bowls are usually very consistent over a 16 game season and playoff run...they don't commit 10 penalties a game, forget blocking assignments and turn the ball over in key situations...it is that simple, there is no committment by all 53 players on that roster...

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theebs;2396758 said:
Right cause Taylor was a big fan of parcells.

It doesn't matter what he was then. Now he's claiming that Wade and Jerry ruined the great team Parcells built. I'm just wondering when Parcells ever had a great team. The MOST success we've had in the past decade came under Wade, not Parcells. This year's team isn't much different from the best teams under Parcells. How is a 5-4 team (which lost its Pro Bowl starting quarterback) "ruined" compared to a 9-7 team?

rathalarge

Reaction score
Don't forget, Parcells flat quit pon this team. If you've watched America's Game about the '86 Giants, Lawrence Taylor calls him "a baby"!!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
wileedog;2396763 said:
"Why do you think Greg Ellis talked to Jerry Jones about his role in the defense?"

That happened a couple of weeks ago.

When I read it, I was thinking of the times Ellis complains every offseason. Maybe JJT added that one line. But it still seems ridiculous to write a column assessing blame for our 5-4 record without mentioning any of the main reasons we're 5-4.

Would we be 5-4 if Romo had never been injured? I highly doubt it. We were 4-1 when he got hurt. And would JJT post a column about how "ruined" we are if we were 6-3, 7-2 or 8-1? I highly doubt that, too. Without Romo's injury, that column isn't posted, and yet he doesn't even mention it.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
I thought BP quit on this team as well, but this league is not the same as in 86 and he could not get the team to focus for an entire season, week in and week out....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JJT said:
Bill Parcells built this team to have staying power during his four years as head coach and GM adviser.
To agree with this article you must define staying power differently than I do.

In 2003 this team finished the season 2-3 and then lost in the playoffs.

In 2004 this team finished the season 2-3 and missed the playoffs after a 6-10 season.

In 2005 the team finished the season 2-4 and missed the playoffs.

In 2006 this team finished the season 2-3 and lost in the playoffs.

That's the staying power people are clamoring for? Brilliant.

That said, it was clearly time for him to go because the players had stopped responding to him, but Jerry Jones and Wade Phillips have wrecked this team far quicker than I had ever imagined.
I don't see it as wrecked. Wrecked means beyond repair. This is hardly a team beyond repair.

It has happened for two reasons: The culture of discipline Parcells created has been destroyed and the team has lost its edge.
Here's how the culture has been destroyed: Whether you liked him or not, Parcells demanded accountability from every player; Phillips does not.
We all know it.
This I can agree with. Staying power is still a vivid stretch of the imagination. I would like to see some discipline.

This team didn't really have a core of strong leadership -- players who had no problem telling their teammates when they were screwing up -- so Parcells took that responsibility. He had two Super Bowl rings and will be inducted into the Hall of Fame one day, which ensured players respected him and did whatever he asked. Those who didn't found employment elsewhere.
Parcells under achieved in Dallas. So often ignored in these bygone better days fantasies.

Phillips has never won a playoff game -- he is 0-4 -- so he has never received the same level of respect as Parcells.
At one point Tom Landry was 25-53-4 as a Head Coach in Dallas and the team had never made the playoffs. The fans and media were screaming for his head, because as we all know, the fans and media know more about football than the professionals. The under fire GM at the time was Tex Schramm. He urged Clint Murchison to give Landry a new 10 years deal. The next year the Cowboys made the playoffs, but lost. The next year a 1-1 record in the post season. The next year another loss. It took until 1969 for the Cowboys to get above .500 in the regular season, but they lost again in the post season that year and Landry was 1-4. Two years later we won Super Bowl VI.

The point? Wade's record in the past is irrelevant to this season. He has a team capable of going all the way. If he screws it up he's as good as gone. But at mid season it isn't beyond repair yet.

Parcells had the power to get rid of players, no questions asked. Phillips doesn't, so he'll never have the same level of respect from the players. Why do you think Greg Ellis talked to Jerry Jones about his role in the defense?
Players were going to Jerry in the Parcells era too. Jerry cut players too. Parcells was not the only axe.

He wouldn't have done that with Parcells here because he knew it wouldn't have mattered. Why do you think T.O. regularly shows up late to morning meetings? He knows there's no real consequence.
Valid point. If he is, they need to act.

The players know Phillips doesn't have the ultimate authority, so they don't fear him. That, my friends, leads to a culture of losing.
But the biggest reason the culture Parcells created is gone is that no one is here to reinforce it.
Good riddance. 34-30 and 0-2 in the post season is hardly enough.

When Parcells left, he took VP of college and pro scouting Jeff Ireland with him. He took Tony Sparano and three core defensive coaches as well. Yes, Jason Garrett is still here, but he's not a Parcells' guy. He's a Norv Turner guy.
Ireland's replacement has done a pretty good job if anyone dares ot open their eyes. I don't miss those coaches.

That means everyone with ties to Parcells, who respected the previous culture and could maintain the same type of environment is gone.
That's why the environment has changed - and it's not coming back. This team is in the midst of a free fall. Do you have confidence anyone in the organization can stop the plummet?

I didn't think so.
Yeah I do. The players themselves.

This team has also lost its edge under Wade Phillips.

Parcells believed in churning the bottom of the roster, which meant if you weren't a proven player with a defined role, he was always looking to replace you.
Yeah those churn moves really gave us results to hang our hats on.

Name one late season or mid season churn that was worth a kudo.

I didn't think so.

That's why the Cowboys would work out 4-5 players every Tuesday. Sometimes, they signed a player, sometimes they didn't.
But it kept the last 15-20 guys on the roster on edge because they never knew when they might get replaced. That forced them to practice a little harder or study a little more video or lift just a few more weights because they might get replaced if they didn't.
I can see a value to this. If the players aren't hungry they are fools. I still don't see the staying power of 4 straight late season folds under Parcells.

Phillips believes that once you've made the team in training camp, you're part of the Dallas Cowboys' 53-man family. He's not looking to replace anyone and I think that creates an environment of complacency.
Now, you're seeing the shoddy results.
I've seen the results of injuires more than anything else. That isn't an excuse. Great teams overcome critical injuries.

I got a dollar says Wade wins more post season games as our Head Coach than Parcells did.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2397035 said:
When I read it, I was thinking of the times Ellis complains every offseason. Maybe JJT added that one line. But it still seems ridiculous to write a column assessing blame for our 5-4 record without mentioning any of the main reasons we're 5-4.

Would we be 5-4 if Romo had never been injured? I highly doubt it. We were 4-1 when he got hurt. And would JJT post a column about how "ruined" we are if we were 6-3, 7-2 or 8-1? I highly doubt that, too. Without Romo's injury, that column isn't posted, and yet he doesn't even mention it.

JJT loves to pile on the obvious, makes it easy to write a few columns each week without doing any real research. It is fashionable to bury the Cowboys and if they get hot and roll into the playoffs, everyone will be on their jocks. Though I think this team is to undisciplined to get on that type of roll, I will enjoy seeing Werder, JJT and all the others begging to talk to TO if we get hot....

mmohican29

Reaction score
Garrett was not here in the Parcells tenure. He was hired as Bill was out the door.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Hostile;2397043 said:
To agree with this article you must define staying power differently than I do.

In 2003 this team finished the season 2-3 and then lost in the playoffs.

In 2004 this team finished the season 2-3 and missed the playoffs after a 6-10 season.

In 2005 the team finished the season 2-4 and missed the playoffs.

In 2006 this team finished the season 2-3 and lost in the playoffs.

That's the staying power people are clamoring for? Brilliant.

I don't see it as wrecked. Wrecked means beyond repair. This is hardly a team beyond repair.

This I can agree with. Staying power is still a vivid stretch of the imagination. I would like to see some discipline.

Parcells under achieved in Dallas. So often ignored in these bygone better days fantasies.

At one point Tom Landry was 25-53-4 as a Head Coach in Dallas and the team had never made the playoffs. The fans and media were screaming for his head, because as we all know, the fans and media know more about football than the professionals. The under fire GM at the time was Tex Schramm. He urged Clint Murchison to give Landry a new 10 years deal. The next year the Cowboys made the playoffs, but lost. The next year a 1-1 record in the post season. The next year another loss. It took until 1969 for the Cowboys to get above .500 in the regular season, but they lost again in the post season that year and Landry was 1-4. Two years later we won Super Bowl VI.

The point? Wade's record in the past is irrelevant to this season. He has a team capable of going all the way. If he screws it up he's as good as gone. But at mid season it isn't beyond repair yet.

Players were going to Jerry in the Parcells era too. Jerry cut players too. Parcells was not the only axe.

Valid point. If he is, they need to act.

Good riddance. 34-30 and 0-2 in the post season is hardly enough.

Ireland's replacement has done a pretty good job if anyone dares ot open their eyes. I don't miss those coaches.

That means everyone with ties to Parcells, who respected the previous culture and could maintain the same type of environment is gone.
That's why the environment has changed - and it's not coming back. This team is in the midst of a free fall. Do you have confidence anyone in the organization can stop the plummet?

Yeah I do. The players themselves.

I didn't think so.

I can see a value to this. If the players aren't hungry they are fools. I still don't see the staying power of 4 straight late season folds under Parcells.

I've seen the results of injuires more than anything else. That isn't an excuse. Great teams overcome critical injuries.

I got a dollar says Wade wins more post season games as our Head Coach than Parcells did.

I'll take your dollar.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2397035 said:
Would we be 5-4 if Romo had never been injured?
You're right, the article is way off base.

Romo is the only reason this team made the playoffs the last two years, no matter who the coach was.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2397043 said:

I have a buck that says they end up tied.

:money:

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score

I didn't think so.

Marc Colombo