News: DMN: La'el Collins' new cleats give 'pancake block' a new meaning

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I don't want this to be taking the wrong way because I enjoy watching Collins blow up those guys as much as the next guy, but I can't help looking at that play in a different light. I feel like this play was a great example of being undisciplined as a rookie guard. Collins obviously took care of his first block with ease.. But instead of running up field without the RB, maybe he could have blocked the guy that Fredrick whiffed on, or help lil Beasley block his guy, this might have allowed McFadden to find room to get up field more and possibly juke the 2nd guy Collins flattened. Instead, McFadden was tackled for minimal gain. Would have been even more spectacular had McFadden been right behind Collins as he was bulldozing folks. Coulda, woulda, shoulda..

you noticed he was past that point and would of never saw the guy Freddie failed to block, right? Now the guy beasley failed on..... it was close, not sure with the momentum he would of had leverage or not to get him anyways. But all I can say is he did do his job.....

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't want this to be taking the wrong way because I enjoy watching Collins blow up those guys as much as the next guy, but I can't help looking at that play in a different light. I feel like this play was a great example of being undisciplined as a rookie guard. Collins obviously took care of his first block with ease.. But instead of running up field without the RB, maybe he could have blocked the guy that Fredrick whiffed on, or help lil Beasley block his guy, this might have allowed McFadden to find room to get up field more and possibly juke the 2nd guy Collins flattened. Instead, McFadden was tackled for minimal gain. Would have been even more spectacular had McFadden been right behind Collins as he was bulldozing folks. Coulda, woulda, shoulda..

Exactly how a coach would look at it but damn what potential and how exciting he is. I think he's gonna be a great one!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not happy about the shoes, but very excited for the prospects for this young player. I think his upside is huge.

Vero_F250

Reaction score

Brass hit on it already. He was already passed the Fred block and already turned up field looking for his next level tacklers...just as he is taught to. It was Fred's guy that caught McFadden from behind and Beasleys man who jumped on during the take down. Had Collins decided to stop all his momentum to help out on someone's else's assignment then Earl Thomas would have been right there as well for the tackle/assist. Everyone has an assignment and Collins executed his perfectly. Two other Cowboys completely failed in their assignment, causing a minimal game.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Brass hit on it already. He was already passed the Fred block and already turned up field looking for his next level tacklers...just as he is taught to. It was Fred's guy that caught McFadden from behind and Beasleys man who jumped on during the take down. Had Collins decided to stop all his momentum to help out on someone's else's assignment then Earl Thomas would have been right there as well for the tackle/assist. Everyone has an assignment and Collins executed his perfectly. Two other Cowboys completely failed in their assignment, causing a minimal game.

I must be missing what you guys are looking at with Fred. When I watch it I see him blocking someone on the opposite side of the line. Perhaps it is Martin (70) you are referring to?

Regardless, Collins did what he should have done. Blocked his guy and then destroyed another on the 2nd level. A team will never have any significant runs if the OL is constantly standing around doing pirouettes to see if everyone else made their blocks too.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Can't agree with you. He was following his assignment. Linemen have to trust their fellow linemen to get their blocks and complete their own assignments. Imagine if Collins had turned back after his initial block to make sure everyone else had done what they were supposed to and thus allowed No. 25 to make the play.

His job was to pull and block 54. When he accomplished that, his assignment was to continue to lead the play upfield.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Can't agree with you. He was following his assignment. Linemen have to trust their fellow linemen to get their blocks and complete their own assignments. Imagine if Collins had turned back after his initial block to make sure everyone else had done what they were supposed to and thus allowed No. 25 to make the play.

His job was to pull and block 54. When he accomplished that, his assignment was to continue to lead the play upfield.

Well, depends on if they're blocking man or zone, but this was likely man.

Vero_F250

Reaction score
I must be missing what you guys are looking at with Fred. When I watch it I see him blocking someone on the opposite side of the line. Perhaps it is Martin (70) you are referring to?

Regardless, Collins did what he should have done. Blocked his guy and then destroyed another on the 2nd level. A team will never have any significant runs if the OL is constantly standing around doing pirouettes to see if everyone else made their blocks too.

Yeah yeah. Martin. My mistake. I went off the poster and wasn't looking at numbers.

DTown214

Reaction score
lael.0.gif

6_4102146.jpg

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love the player and I like the idea behind the shoes but I have to agree with others...those are some ugly shoes.

perrykemp

Reaction score

Lots of interesting feats of athleticism in this play.

First and foremost, Collins absolutely obliterates Ha-Ha Clinton Dix.

2nd, Collins displays his amazing athlerticism by bolting down the field and and blocking Darren Sharper like 40-50 yards later.

3rd, Ha Ha Clinton Dix picks himself off the carpet and scoots 40-50 yards down the field and makes the TD saving tackle despite the fact that earlier in the same play Collins had obliterated him.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
He did what he is actually supposed to do. Frederick doesn't get beat so easily and that's a big gain.

Proof

Reaction score
Collins should put a revolving door on his cleats, that'd be more fitting. You'd think that after his embarrassing comments last offseason he'd learn a thing and shut his mouth for once yet here he goes again. You got studs like Tyron, Travis, Zack, neither is looking for any attention despite being elite. Yet here comes this doofus again who was getting schooled by nobodies last year trying to be the center of attention. If I'm Tyron I'd slap him across the neck and set him straight. Put your head down, shut your mouth and grind. You didn't do **** last year, you were the weak link. What the **** is this pancake **** you're talking about? Who the **** are you dude?

:facepalm:

I should take notice that no one is responding to this guy, right?

erod

Reaction score
Collins has already had some epic pancakes in his first year... One of the best young guards in the league anchoring our line, and a LSU alum to boot! ETA:
lael.0.gif

That great block is ruined by whatever Cole Beasley is doing, and the fact that Zack Martin got beaten like a mule.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya know what I have a difficult time understanding, every time I see tape of the OL last year, the opposing DL is going backwards. How in the heck did we lose 12 games? I played some DL, anytime we were getting pushed around we were losing!!
I hate to say it, but give the darn offense back to Garrett.

oh yea, love the Collins kid.