News: DMN: National columnist: The Cowboys 'aren't that good,' have a 'soft' 9-1 record

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
The Cowboys are 9-1, best in the NFL and looking reminiscent of the 1990s Cowboys teams - or at least close. But Fox Sports columnist Chris Chase isn't buying the hype. The Cowboys are very beatable, he says.

"The Dallas Cownoys aren't that good, at least they haven't proved it yet," Chase wrote. "Saying 'that good' is in reference to their 9-1 record, seeming offensive indestructibility and status as favorites in the NFC.

"The truth is the record is soft, the offense is vulnerable and they're a clear second behind Seattle as the rightful favorite to win the NFC."

Nine NFL defenses - including highly touted ones like Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Baltimore - may think otherwise about the Cowboys offensive vulnerability. In fact, barring a Terrance Williams misstep in Game 1 vs. the Giants - perhaps the Cowboys would be sitting at 10-0.

Chase argues that the Cowboys have played an easy schedule, at 1-1 vs. teams with winning records and 8-0 against a host of .500 or worse teams.

Chase qualifies his criticism, noting that "We've found out that Dallas is a team that doesn't play down to its competition." But still, he says, 9-1 is the result of "schedule ephemera."

SportsDay insider David Moore disputed the claim that the Cowboys have gotten lucky en route to 9-1 in his column Sunday after the Cowboys' 27-17 win vs. Baltimore.

"Those who choose to fret about the cracks in Michelangelo's David rather than revel in its beauty, those who insist we won't discover what this Cowboys team is all about until it faces adversity are ignoring a universal truth," Moore said. "The Cowboys have overcome plenty of adversity this season. Sunday's 27-17 win over Baltimore is the latest example."

Moore continued:

"An offense that couldn't get anything going early couldn't be stopped late to extend its winning streak to a franchise-record nine games.

"A defense that was gashed early and missing two starters in the secondary responded to ensure the Cowboys are now working on 71 days without a loss.

"Adversity? You stare first-and-30 in the face and not only pick that up but lead the Cowboys to a touchdown the way rookie Dak Prescott did. You lose Pro Bowl veterans to injury throughout the season, starting with quarterback Tony Romo, and fashion the NFL's best record.

"This group has shown time and time again it can come back from adversity. "

What do you think, Cowboys fans? Has America's Team overcome adversity?

Click here to read Chase's full column.

Continue reading...

You know, Christina Chase is really not that good. He doesn't call games, interview players, and probably doesn't even lift.

He just lobs soft click-bait articles at the web, and gets to stay out of the trenches.

I'd like to see him make his points in an interview with Fred, Zach, Tank, et al, and see if his high-pitched voice wavers.

Satchel89

Reaction score
Every week the Cowboys win, The team they beat are having a down year. Joe Flacco gets beat by them and he says they should of won. Joe Flacco and this moron writer can go have lunch together. They have won 9 of the 10 games they've played. I don't care who's on the schedule, When you do that in the NFL, You are a good team. The Patriots are 8-2. 4 of their wins are the Bengals, Browns, Steelers, and 49ers. The Cowboys beat those same teams, So the Patriots have a soft schedule too

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate to say it, but there's some truth to it. Dallas has played the softest schedule in the league, except for all the other teams.

Who are the teams with arguments for being the best in the NFL? Dallas, Seattle, New England, Oakland, KC, Denver, NYG. Now, who has played each other?
We played the Giants even in week 1. We'll all agree, I think, that Dak and especially Zeke weren't then what they are now. But the Giants are playing better too.
Seattle and New England played each other even.
Kansas City beat Oakland. Oakland beat Denver.

That's it. That's all we have to go on. The top teams simply haven't played each other very much. It's very hard to tell at this point who stands where.
As far as the Cowboys, we've blown out the teams we should blow out, which is a really good sign: blowouts against bad teams really do tell you something about your team's strength.
We've basically played even against the Giants, Eagles, Commanders and Steelers. So we're not overwhelmingly better than the rest of the league. Of course, two of those games were weeks 1 and 2. The divisional rematches will tell us A LOT about where we stand. But none of us really knows how we stack up against the New Englands, Seattles and Oaklands of the world. Of course, none of them knows how they stack up against us either.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He says Dallas isn't "that good" then names only one team that might better than us? :laugh:

That's like looking at the two finalists in the Miss America pageant and saying, "Well, they aint all that hawt" compared to the rest of the women in the world.

Whu ... whu ... whut???

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate to say it, but there's some truth to it. Dallas has played the softest schedule in the league, except for all the other teams.

Who are the teams with arguments for being the best in the NFL? Dallas, Seattle, New England, Oakland, KC, Denver, NYG. Now, who has played each other?
We played the Giants even in week 1. We'll all agree, I think, that Dak and especially Zeke weren't then what they are now. But the Giants are playing better too.
Seattle and New England played each other even.
Kansas City beat Oakland. Oakland beat Denver.

That's it. That's all we have to go on. The top teams simply haven't played each other very much. It's very hard to tell at this point who stands where.
As far as the Cowboys, we've blown out the teams we should blow out, which is a really good sign: blowouts against bad teams really do tell you something about your team's strength.
We've basically played even against the Giants, Eagles, Commanders and Steelers. So we're not overwhelmingly better than the rest of the league. Of course, two of those games were weeks 1 and 2. The divisional rematches will tell us A LOT about where we stand. But none of us really knows how we stack up against the New Englands, Seattles and Oaklands of the world. Of course, none of them knows how they stack up against us either.
You may be right in that respect now, but when we played a lot of these teams, they were not soft. Even beyond that, Dallas has a target on its back every year regardless of record, because everyone wants to beat Dallas, and throw in a 1-loss season for Dallas and the target gets even bigger. Not to mention, every team is out to gain "instant respect" and "we've turned things around" status by beating the team with the best record in the division, conference and/or league itself.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So the best team is the one that has lost to two 4-6 teams and tied a 4-5-1 team, and not the team whose only loss is by one point to a 7-3 team?
:hammer:

And lost to the 7-3 team with a rookie quarterback starting his first regular season game.

Thetriplets22

Reaction score
If we go 15-1 in regular season but lose to Seattle in the playoffs. Everyone will say we choked and same old cowboys. The season will be defined in January

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You may be right in that respect now, but when we played a lot of these teams, they were not soft. Even beyond that, Dallas has a target on its back every year regardless of record, because everyone wants to beat Dallas, and throw in a 1-loss season for Dallas and the target gets even bigger. Not to mention, every team is out to gain "instant respect" and "we've turned things around" status by beating the team with the best record in the division, conference and/or league itself.
Well, "softest schedule except for all the others" was a bit of a joke. Not a good one, I admit.

It is true that there appears to be a vast middle in the NFL this year, which makes it hard to judge the best teams when they don't go head to head. I just don't think we have a good read on the true NFL pecking order yet, except to say that New England and Seattle, when they have healthy and active starting QBs, are at the top. Are we up there with them? Or are we in a tier below with the teams we've played even? I honestly don't know.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Chris Chase needs to stick to writing on golf and tennis and stay out of the big boy sports arena.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
This chick must not watch much football.

Dallas has been the best team in the NFL up to this point, that is why they lead the NFL in wins and point differential.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Every team in the NFC East is .500 or better. Every team in the AFC North is .500 or worse. It's a big part of the perceived "soft" schedule. The East is beating that division like a drum, with Dallas leading the way at 4-0.

GIFTS86

Reaction score
Seahakks do have a complete team but I guess we will see them in the playoffs like romo said in the preseason

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Weak sad ploy for attention and nothing more than click bait. I stopped at the reference that our offense is vulnerable..lol
I could certainly ride with a statement that our defense is vulnerable, but our offense!?!?!? I would like for him to specify exactly where these "vulnerabilities" are! If we were attaining success through being strong in just the passing game or just the running game, I could understand the logic, perhaps. The only two things you can do on offense are run and pass. we're middle of the pack in the passing game, but extremely protective of the ball with only two INT's (against 17 TD's...don't think anyone else touches that ratio) and second in rushing (11 yds behind Buffalo). Our passing game can feed off the run or our run game can feed off the pass (to a lesser extent, IMO). We aren't "other worldly" in passing, but we don't have to be...and on the few occasions we've had to be, we have been. If that's "vulnerable, give me vulnerable all day long.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
So the best team is the one that has lost to two 4-6 teams and tied a 4-5-1 team, and not the team whose only loss is by one point to a 7-3 team?

Don't bother trying to rationalize it. Its the same as caring what pti or whatever the skip show is called.