DMN: National predictions: It's close, but analysts say Eagles have better chance to win NFC East

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I suppose you weren't the one railing about Gregg Rosenthal earlier?

Also, I'm not sure if you remember LeGarrette Blount. Think he's a nifty runner, or a one cut power back? Where did he play in college again?

This is a completely separate issue from the idiotic hypocrisy of Rosenthal.

Blount wasn't recruited by Kelly. His first game he ran for negative yardage and then fought his own team, the opponents, and the fans. Following his suspension he played in one game. He finished his career under Chip with 17 carries for 46 yards.

Doesn't really matter but that's a really poor defense and it's odd that you would use such an incorrect example in defense of Chip. Would you like to try to justify your defense of what he's shoveling in a more effective manner, because a guy who he didn't recruit that barely played for him doesn't seem like a strong defense of the idea that his system has demanded a type of back that he's never prioritized.

Or maybe you could explain why people who fail to ever give their own team the benefit of the doubt will twist themselves into a pretzel to afford such an opposite mentality to the Eagles.

Plankton

Reaction score
This is a completely separate issue from the idiotic hypocrisy of Rosenthal.

Blount wasn't recruited by Kelly. His first game he ran for negative yardage and then fought his own team, the opponents, and the fans. Following his suspension he played in one game. He finished his career under Chip with 17 carries for 46 yards.

Doesn't really matter but that's a really poor defense and it's odd that you would use such an incorrect example in defense of Chip. Would you like to try to justify your defense of what he's shoveling in a more effective manner, because a guy who he didn't recruit that barely played for him doesn't seem like a strong defense of the idea that his system has demanded a type of back that he's never prioritized.

Considering that Chip Kelly was the offensive coordinator of Oregon when Blount arrived at Oregon, he most certainly did recruit him. It's odd that you wouldn't know that.

And, it does show that he can make his offense go with that type of runner. Whether he went with pure speed in college when he could out athlete other teams, or went with power, it shows that he can run the ball different ways.

The funny thing here is that I don't give a flip about Chip Kelly or the Eagles. I think his hurry up offense is a recipe to lose against good teams. But I find it highly comical when people will critique minutiae about what type of running back he likes when a quick check of his history will show that he has had success with multiple types of runners.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Considering that Chip Kelly was the offensive coordinator of Oregon when Blount arrived at Oregon, he most certainly did recruit him. It's odd that you wouldn't know that.

And, it does show that he can make his offense go with that type of runner. Whether he went with pure speed in college when he could out athlete other teams, or went with power, it shows that he can run the ball different ways.

The funny thing here is that I don't give a flip about Chip Kelly or the Eagles. I think his hurry up offense is a recipe to lose against good teams. But I find it highly comical when people will critique minutiae about what type of running back he likes when a quick check of his history will show that he has had success with multiple types of runners.

17 carries for 46 yards is successful?

DTown214

Reaction score
First of all, whatever the media says is usually wrong. In 2012 they said the Giants would win the division, Commanders won. 2013 they said Commanders would win, Eagles won. 2014 they said the Eagles would win, Cowboys won. These guys in the media make the "safe pick", which is usually whoever won the division the previous year, just so they won't be publicly ridiculed. In this case, the safe pick (well not in my mind) is the Eagles because we lost the league leading rusher and they got him. So on the surface it looks like the Eagles gained the advantage over us but that couldn't be any more false.

People don't realize that the Eagles essentially swapped Nick Foles, LeSean McCoy, and Jeremy Maclin for Sam Bradford, DeMarco Murray, and Nelson Agholor (their first rd pick). First, even if Sam Bradford stays healthy, I don't buy for one second that he's an upgrade over Foles. I guess people forget because he got injured last year but with Foles starting in 2013 the Eagles finished 10-6 and won the division. In 2014 before he got injured he led the Eagles to a 6-2 start... so a combined 16-8 record. And during those games he threw 40 TDs and only 12 INTs. On the other hand Bradford hasn't done anything productive in his NFL career. Bradford is 19-30 as a starter (albeit with a bad STL team) and has thrown 59 TDs to 38 INTs. So even if the guy stayed healthy (very unlikely), I don't know how I'm supposed to believe he'll be better than Foles has been for them. As far as Murray vs McCoy... I mean it's close but I would honestly rather have LeSean McCoy. He's so elusive and quick, and he actually isn't afraid to punch it in to the end zone when he gets out in space. Give McCoy our starting O-line and he easily gets 2,000 yards. Not even to mention, Murray is extremely injury prone. Last season was his first to play 16 games... so we'll see if that continues this season in Philly. Then with their WRs, I shouldn't have to explain why Jeremy Maclin who just racked up 1,300 rec yards is a better player than an unproven rookie, Nelson Agholor. I'll acknowledge that Philly did add a couple nice players on defense with Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell, but both have question marks. Alonso is very injury prone and is coming of an ACL tear, and Maxwell very well could be a product of a great secondary in Seattle where he was able to shine because of the players around him. So overall I think their offense downgraded and their defense only slightly upgraded. Not sold.

Now from Dallas' perspective, the main reason we could be even better than last year is because how improved the defense will be. We're basically adding 2 pro-bowl caliber players with Sean Lee and Greg Hardy, basically two first round talents with Randy Gregory and Byron Jones, we're getting back a motivated Mo Claiborne, we'll have Demarcus Lawrence the entire season (missed 8 games last yr), and young guys like Tyrone Crawford and Anthony Hitchens who are due for great breakout seasons. As far as our offense, particularly our running game, we'll be fine. I've explained many times why I wasn't a huge fan of Murray's game even though I appreciated him while he was here. Basically I think he was great at being patient and finding the holes, but once he got in those holes he wasn't very elusive and always looked for contact in open field which normally resulted in him immediately being tackled. Then people (Eagles fans and the media) will say "but he had 1,800 yards!"... well yeah he did but on damn near 400 touches. His yard per carry was solid, but not exceptional. The bottom line is, our offensive line is the reason why Murray had the success he did. And our line got even better with La'el Collins. I'm not worried at all about Randle and McFadden. Both of those guys are extremely talented and if given a chance behind our O-line, I have no doubt that they (along with Dunbar/Michael) can make up for more than what Murray did here last season.

So yeah, the media is gonna hate but it means absolutely nothing. If anything, it's a good thing that they're doubting us.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Expert predictions don't matter. It's all narrative for promoting shows and games right now. That said, this Eagles team had so much change at key positions, and they've got so much volatility in terms of culture and the organization relative to last season. They're hardly a safe pick to lead the division. And any simulation with their top three offensive skill positions and the interior OL turnover is useless. There's nothing to simulate yet.

Dallas is the safe pick to repeat. Philly is the chic pick to have improved. The Giants and Skins are also-rans until they show otherwise.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
These are fantasy football dorks who still think the read-option is viable.

And I love the ammo for the Cowboys. Last thing they need is a national anointing right now.

Plankton

Reaction score
17 carries for 46 yards is successful?

Blount ran for 1000 yards and 17 touchdowns in 2008. When Kelly, as I'm sure that you are aware of, was Oregon's offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting. Clearly, you didn't pay attention to Oregon football well enough to know what Kelly did or didn't do.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
The eagles stick it up and miss the playoffs

1. Dallas
2. Greenbay
3. Seattle
4. Atlanta
5. Arizona
6. Minnesota

Seattle over Minnesota. Arizona over Atlanta

Dallas over Arizona. Seattle over Greenbay

Dallas over Seattle.

Cowboys beat Indy in the Superbowl

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
No kidding. They even dumped their starting center (Joe Hawley) today for Gino Gradkowski and he's horrible. Ask Baltimore.

Didn't Gradkowski get dumped from Denver recently?

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Sure did. The Falcons are desperate. They are even looking at Jake Long.

The price they paid to go from 24(?) to 6 to get Julio combined with missing on picks has taken a toll.

Do you follow them much? Curious as to how Matthews was for them? I'd ask my friend, but he's such a homer he'd tell me he was all pro caliber.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The price they paid to go from 24(?) to 6 to get Julio combined with missing on picks has taken a toll.

Do you follow them much? Curious as to how Matthews was for them? I'd ask my friend, but he's such a homer he'd tell me he was all pro caliber.

He has been like Joeckel and Fisher, average to poor. None of them are Tyron Smith caliber.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Sure did. The Falcons are desperate. They are even looking at Jake Long.

I thought so.

Pretty sure I saw him in action with Denver on Thursday night.

No rest for the wicked................

kramskoi

Reaction score
The eagles stick it up and miss the playoffs

1. Dallas
2. Greenbay
3. Seattle
4. Atlanta
5. Arizona
6. Minnesota

Seattle over Minnesota. Arizona over Atlanta

Dallas over Arizona. Seattle over Greenbay

Dallas over Seattle.

Cowboys beat Indy in the Superbowl

That Indy defense has got to get a bit better than it has been in the three years under Luck. It didn't mean a whole lot at the time, but they got throttled by Dallas last year.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Bunch of power rankings came out today and Dallas is nearly unanimously ahead of Philly. They're as meaningless as these predictions but I thought the contrast was interesting.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Predictions mean jack..................the games are decided on the field, not on paper. Besides, didn't all of these so called "experts" have us winning 3 or 4 games last year?

How did that work out?