DMN: National predictions: It's close, but analysts say Eagles have better chance to win NFC East

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I don't think it's unreasonable to call them the favorites. It's close though. It's going to come down to staying healthy and getting the bounces that often times determine the direction of a season.

I see it as a 3 team race. I don't discount the Giants.

I don't see the Giants as a viable contender. It's going to be us or Philly

Derinyar

Reaction score
I think teams with a good offense will give the Eagles a serious run for their money. Teams with an average or bad offense could well get blown out. I swear Chippy's system is a double edged blade. It gets his offense a lot more drives, but it gives his opponents a lot more drives also. It makes perfect sense to me that the Packers drilled them last year. The Packers are a much better offense and now you're going to give them a couple or three extra drives because your offense must move at warp speed? I think it also worked in our favor last year, as I think we were a better offense then they were last year. I think its pretty likely we will be again.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
and?

new qb, new system, new rb, new wrs...but yea, that will magically gel. even when we had aikman come to the cowboys and setup our huge run of success, it took is a few years to put things together and things to fall into place.

what is the current over/under on how many games until bradford it out for the year?

Clipping his nails is dangerous...

burmafrd

Reaction score
one constant of virtually every Chip Kelly team going back years is how often they fade in the final month of the season. And you do not get a month off to rest like college teams do for bowls.

The media hate of the Boys is hilarious. If you were to do the same things that Philthy did in dallas this offseason after fading last year the unanimous mediot opinion would be calling for the coaches head.

The Boys improved immensely on D this offseason and only lose one player on offense. Meanwhile Philthy has virtually redone their offense-gotten weaker on the O line and at best a wash at RB while losing their best WR. And adding a QB that has no history at being around in one piece come January. They have rebuilt their secondary so whether it will be a lot better is questionable.

So why would we regress much and why would they be considered a lock to improve greatly?

BlueStar22

Reaction score
I normally don't get into preseason picks. However I can't help but notice how the sports media ridiculed Chip Kelly and the Eagles all offseason and now are picking them to win the East. Is this how that northeast bias works? I mean, I like my team going under the radar. I just think it's interesting. I've even seen the Giants picked ahead of us. Guess Garrett and Co. have more to prove.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
NFL analysts? lol. The article notes Gregg Rosenthal, Michael Silver, Steve Wyche, Marc Sessler, Neil Paine, Sam Farmer, Neil Greenberg, Doug Farrar and Chris Burke as NFL analysts--writers who didn't play the sport or perhaps even sports period.

Bucky Brooks was the only proclaimed NFL analyst worth mentioning, having played the sport at the college and professional level. Of course, he bounced around the league in five years with five different teams mostly as a kick returner. Brooks' opinion? According to the article, Brooks is hedging his bets that the league will not be able to stop Kelly's offense. As far as defense is concerned, Brooks says:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...efensive-divisions-afc-east-nfc-west-dominate
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rs-dolphins-top-most-improved-defensive-lines

Even though Brooks acknowledges the NFC East owns prolific offenses in addition to Philadelphia's, the Eagles will prevail with projected secondary upgrades--while Dallas' projected most improved defensive line in the league (his thoughts on the matter, not mind) will not be an overwhelming factor.

Fair enough. We'll see.

Mike and Mike pretty much picked Eagles on espn this morning too.

Plankton

Reaction score
So why has someone that is a supposed genius never bothered to recruit one of those guys? It sounds like a ridiculously convenient argument that never appeared until Chip decided to back up the brinks and pay two of those types of runners.

Playing devil's advocate, perhaps his offensive approach has evolved to where he sees that a one cut power back will play better in the NFL than the waterbugs he used when his teams played inferior defensive talent in college.

jrumann59

Reaction score
No one even mentions the Giants or Commanders, lol. The Commanders could be a dark horse if they find a QB, o-line, d-line, secondary, and kicker.

So the r3edskins are in the early stages of the eagles plan. Eagles gut their OL, gut their skill players and are relying on Rookie and 2nd year WR where the trend is it takes WR even immensely talented ones 3 years to get it. Oh and are depending on QB with a balkier knee than RG3

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Playing devil's advocate, perhaps his offensive approach has evolved to where he sees that a one cut power back will play better in the NFL than the waterbugs he used when his teams played inferior defensive talent in college.

That may well be the case, but for everyone including Cowboys fans to accept such reasoning is odd. It basically hasn't been questioned. Chip stood up and told the world that Bradford wasn't running a read option. He stood up and told the world that he didn't really try to trade for Mariota. And he told the world that his system is based on N/S runners. None of those have any basis in reality, but all Eagles fans, most of the media, and a surprisingly large segment of Cowboys fans have bought his lies without question.

Plankton

Reaction score
That may well be the case, but for everyone including Cowboys fans to accept such reasoning is odd. It basically hasn't been questioned. Chip stood up and told the world that Bradford wasn't running a read option. He stood up and told the world that he didn't really try to trade for Mariota. And he told the world that his system is based on N/S runners. None of those have any basis in reality, but all Eagles fans, most of the media, and a surprisingly large segment of Cowboys fans have bought his lies without question.

Why do you care? Kelly can say whatever the hell he wants. It will all be settled on the field.

Whatever prognostications people make ahead of the season don't matter either.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Why do you care? Kelly can say whatever the hell he wants. It will all be settled on the field.

Whatever prognostications people make ahead of the season don't matter either.

I'm questioning a ridiculous notion with no basis in reality proffered by someone not unfamiliar with shoveling b.s. You're questioning me while defending it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike and Mike pretty much picked Eagles on espn this morning too.
I would respect Golic's opinion more if Philadelphia hadn't tainted his soul when he played for the Eagles. Greenburg often agrees with Golic about anything in the NFL outside the AFC, especially outside the AFC East.

Ken

Reaction score
I think teams with a good offense will give the Eagles a serious run for their money. Teams with an average or bad offense could well get blown out. I swear Chippy's system is a double edged blade. It gets his offense a lot more drives, but it gives his opponents a lot more drives also. It makes perfect sense to me that the Packers drilled them last year. The Packers are a much better offense and now you're going to give them a couple or three extra drives because your offense must move at warp speed? I think it also worked in our favor last year, as I think we were a better offense then they were last year. I think its pretty likely we will be again.

I do think you need to throw out taht first game against the eags last year on a short turnaround. I think their tempo really favored them in that week and of course romo on a short week also has to be considered.

The 2nd meeting summed it up succinctly. I believe they 3 and outed them on the first three drives and scored on all three or something pretty similar. I can assure you the defense didnt appreciate being on the field so much that late in the year.

This ia the biggeat drawback woth his offense. They were dead LAST in time of possession last year. Championship teams can't lead that category. It is strange because they are a good running team but they just move too quickly.

Eagles will and have struggled to beat good teams. It is the nature of the way they play.

rynochop

Reaction score
Im setting the over /under on combined wins between the skins and eagles
at 10.5, im taking the under. could see both being an absolute train wreck, but every year teams that should suck, dont..so

Plankton

Reaction score
I'm questioning a ridiculous notion with no basis in reality proffered by someone not unfamiliar with shoveling b.s. You're questioning me while defending it.

I think you are more looking for validation of your own team from an external source and bristling at the fact that the external sources see another team as being better.

Again, it's all going to be settled on the field. All of the other stuff is noise.

It amazes me how much media coverage bothers people.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I wouldnt count any of them out. Not even Washington. There is momentum in DC, now that the rain and fog and the prince of BS, has been silenced!

I think NY is going to be tougher then what most expect. Coughlin and Eli are going into a....pivotal season. I know that sounds odd, they have won 2 SBs. But its been awhile, and they have looked really bad recently. I'm sure they are feeling pressure in the Big Apple. Do people refer to NY as the Big Apple anymore? Its been awhile since Ive heard it.......?

To me, Philly is a real wildcard. You cant judge by preseason, but reports are they have looked good. Also, these are Chippys guys now. I think there might have been some bad ju-ju or dynamcis of personalites with some of the star players last year.

I think Dallas has done a good to great job this offseason. Although we might not see the benefits this year! Having said that, we are very talented in a lot of positons...But I think the most important offseason move was retaining the coaching staff....

I really like our chances to win the division and maybe a few playoff games. But I could easily see us miss the playoffs to, going 10-6, 9-7...?? There is a certain amount of luck involved in these seasons too.....injuries, bounces of the ball, etc etc -- I dont see Dallas as a "Shoe-in" for anything. But I do see them as a tough-team to beat....for anybody;

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I think you are more looking for validation of your own team from an external source and bristling at the fact that the external sources see another team as being better.

Again, it's all going to be settled on the field. All of the other stuff is noise.

It amazes me how much media coverage bothers people.

I'm not sure how well you've followed the conversation. My issue is with Cowboys fans who repeat the notion that Chip's offense demands a one cut runner when he's never bothered to sign or recruit one. I'm curious as to why consistent skeptics regarding their own team will bend over backwards to provide rationales for an opposing team in such an obvious case of coach speak.

bkeavs

Reaction score
While I completely disagree that the eagles will be better. i don't buy into the notion that somehow Bradford is more susceptible to the injury bug. I still have a healthy fear of Romo's creaky back.

Plankton

Reaction score
I'm not sure how well you've followed the conversation. My issue is with Cowboys fans who repeat the notion that Chip's offense demands a one cut runner when he's never bothered to sign or recruit one. I'm curious as to why consistent skeptics regarding their own team will bend over backwards to provide rationales for an opposing team in such an obvious case of coach speak.

I suppose you weren't the one railing about Gregg Rosenthal earlier?

Also, I'm not sure if you remember LeGarrette Blount. Think he's a nifty runner, or a one cut power back? Where did he play in college again?

Deep_South

Reaction score
When we go out Sunday and show them we still have a running game, and they come to understand we have some serious reinforcements joining us for game five on, a whole bunch of them will jump back on our side. If we beat the Eagles week 2, the rest of them will jump aboard, even though there will be 14 games to go and anything can happen. Me, I think if we can get through the first nine games at 6-3, or even 5-4, we can dominate down the stretch and win the division and make a deep playoff run - or better.