News: DMN: Roger Staubach on Romo-Prescott: 'Right now, it's Dak's locker room'

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I think it could be a positive thing, Romo will be extra, extra hungry and Dak will be there should he fall to injury or pick 6's.
My biggest fear is if they put Tony back in, and he decides he wants to play another season or two after this one, and then who knows when/if we ever see Dak again.

That's why, IMO, it's so pertinent they make the right choice. That right choice, I feel, is to move on with the future already.

Last edited:

Proximo

Reaction score
One thing that I do think is completely unavoidable-

No matter what (assuming we make the playoffs, which is all but guaranteed), there will be a ton of Monday morning QB'ing going on here and in the media, unless we win the SB.

If we don't win the SB, get ready for months of "what if we would've left Dak in", or "we should've put Romo in".

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
My biggest fear is if they put Tony back in, and he decides he wants to play another season or two after this one, and then who knows when/if we ever see Dak again.

That's why, IMO, it's so pertinent they make the right choice. That right choice, I feel, is to move on with the future already.
Uhh why wouldnt we see Dak ever again? Hes signed for 3 more years after this one :huh:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Don't mess up a good thing.
That's what the Cowboys have going with rookie quarterback Dak Prescott, and that's why Cowboys legend Roger Staubach, who knows a little something about being under center for America's Team, told USA Today that Dallas would be wise to stick with the first-year QB from Mississippi State over veteran Tony Romo.

"The atmosphere is really good, and that's what you want to do: Have a solid, good, we're-going-to-win-this-game atmosphere," Staubach said. "And that's what they have right now. That's the decision keeping Dak in there. They definitely want to maintain that atmosphere. The coaches feel that, and so do the players. Right now, it's Dak's locker room.

"Tony wants to get in there, and he knows this is a good team. But I think he also knows the situation and is very supportive of Dak," Staubach continued. "Tony is a class act, and he is not going to let his personal desires jeopardize the team."

Staubach delivered a similar message to The Dallas Morning News' Brandon George in October.

"The second-guessing now if Tony should be back in or not, it really is the coaches, they've got a feel for the team, what the attitude is and what's going on in that locker room," Staubach said. "They don't want to change that if it's really good and I'm sure it's really good now because they're 4-1 (now 7-1 entering Sunday's game in Pittsburgh). You just don't mess around with that. You try to keep it really good and keep the momentum going. So the decisions are going to be made based on that, that momentum and that feeling in the locker room how much is that, besides the quarterback, can help us win the next game. Right now the momentum is great, evidently the attitude is good and we have a great quarterback in this young rookie in Dak Prescott."

Read more on usatoday.com

Continue reading...
Thank you Roger. Perhaps they'll listen since it's coming from you....

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't believe Romo can hold the franchise hostage a la Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers. I think 2016 will be the deciding factor for Romo. He will either return to the starting role and both the team and he will play exceptionally well or he will falter, get re-injured or never see the field again. If it is the latter, I see Jones eating/surrendering the rest of Romo's contract, along with the accompanying salary cap implications, and allow Romo's departure for another team. If it's the former, the Romo/Prescott question will have already been answered for 2017.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I don't believe Romo can hold the franchise hostage a la Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers. I think 2016 will be the deciding factor for Romo. He will either return to the starting role and both the team and he will play exceptionally well or he will falter, get re-injured or never see the field again. If it is the latter, I see Jones eating/surrendering the rest of Romo's contract, along with the accompanying salary cap implications, and allow Romo's departure for another team. If it's the former, the Romo/Prescott question will have already been answered for 2017.
Right, but say he gets put back in, plays OK, and then still wants to keep playing? Then Dak, the likely future franchise QB of the team, is shelved again for who knows how long. Is it really smart to wait until Tony can't do it anymore to move on? Especially when we know he's at the tail end of his career anyway, and Dak is already playing at a pro-bowl level?

That's like holding onto a shaky stock until the company goes bankrupt and then selling. Once it get's to that point, it's usually too late.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right, but say he gets put back in, plays OK, and then still wants to keep playing? Then Dak, the likely future franchise QB of the team, is shelved again for who knows how long. Is it really smart to wait until Tony can't do it anymore to move on? Especially when we know he's at the tail end of his career anyway, and Dak is already playing at a pro-bowl level?

That's like holding onto a shaky stock until the company goes bankrupt and then selling. Once it get's to that point, it's usually too late.
I said "play exceptionally well", not "plays OK." I doubt average or subpar performance will keep Romo in the starting role for this season and beyond.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I said "play exceptionally well", not "plays OK." I doubt average or subpar performance will keep Romo in the starting role for this season and beyond.
Well one would think with how well Dak is already playing, and Tony being at the end of his career regardless, that this wouldn't even be an issue to begin with. But it is. With the loyalty towards Tony, if they actually put him back in, I think it's going to take a lot worse "exceptionally well" to send him packing.

If they put him back in, I fear he's in until he doesn't want to be anymore.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
If it is good enough for Roger, it should be good enough for the CowboysZone armchair quarterbacks!

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I'm certain this isn't lost on those who read or post here, but this is so reminiscent of the year Tony took over for Bledsoe.

I don't see it. Once Tony came in for Bledsoe everyone knew it was for good. And after his first few games everyone knew Tony was better, and the team better with him, than Bledsoe. Nobody was talking about Bledsoe coming back.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Good for Dak, what a season, and now some of the all-time greats are supporting our young rook.

But guys, let's give Romo some respect for not creating controversy even once during this Dak train, i.e. going to the media, speaking out, complaining, etc, like a lot of selfish quarterbacks of his status, perhaps. would. He's been completely silent, like a true pro. A true team player.

Go Cowboys, big game tomorrow.
REal big game

dallasdave

Reaction score
My guess, not close at all. I wouldn't want to be close with the man taking my job...especially the high paying, high profile position of QB for the Dallas Cowboys. This must happen with every QB...Think Roger was in love with Danny? Anyway, its time and Staubach, like it or not, is correct.
Well said, stay thirsty my friend. :laugh:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We've not had this exact scenario before. Meredith replaced an aging LeBaron. With Staubach and Morton neither were injured for long stretches. Staubach just won the job. White took over for a retiring Staubach. Hogeboom never really shone as bright as White and the others like Pelluer never were good enough. That gets us to Aikman who retired leaving another long line of futility until Romo came along.

Eddie

Reaction score
Tony's situation is a fact of life in the NFL. But it's very fortunate for the Cowboys. Who expected our next franchise QB to land in our laps so quickly?

I'm hoping Dak has a fruitful and long career with the Cowboys, and in the end, be replaced by another young gun. That would be a good thing for all of us.