News: DMN: Roger Staubach on Romo-Prescott: 'Right now, it's Dak's locker room'

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I'm certain this isn't lost on those who read or post here, but this is so reminiscent of the year Tony took over for Bledsoe.
The situations aren't comparable at all though.

Bledsoe was screwing up, making bad decisions, and playing average. Tony was playing fine but was injured and is now only two years removed from an MVP type season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Dak shouldn't struggle against their defense, it is nothing special. We just have to hope their offense remains stagnate for another week.
yeah, not so sure Pittsburgh's D is that great.
Baltimore is the team with the defense.
And then the division games, as they already were toss-ups first go-around.

Last edited:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I think Roger is giving too much credence to "locker room atmosphere", "chemistry", and other such buzzwords. It's the fact that the team is 7-1 that matters.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
One thing that I do think is completely unavoidable-

No matter what (assuming we make the playoffs, which is all but guaranteed), there will be a ton of Monday morning QB'ing going on here and in the media, unless we win the SB.

If we don't win the SB, get ready for months of "what if we would've left Dak in", or "we should've put Romo in".

First, it depends on how we lose.

Second, I don't see where the second guessing comes if we keep Dak in. It's not like Romo hasn't gotten us to a NFC Championship yet. If we fall short with Romo, however, there will be all the second guessing.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Roger is an idiot and doesn't know football and whoever agrees with him is in that same category.

Did I do it right CZ?
Love Roger and he has a good point here.

But I find it comical that when Roger was calling Romo elite and even clutch all these years, and saying he was not remotely the reason the Cowboys were not elite as a team, the same people on his jock right now ignored him.

In other words, when he says what they (you) want him to say, he's a legend. When he doesn't, he is just being a nice Cowboy homer.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

But I find it comical that when Roger was calling Romo elite and even clutch all these years, and saying he was not remotely the reason the Cowboys were not elite as a team, the same people on his jock right now ignored him.

In other words, when he says what they (you) want him to say, he's a legend. When he doesn't, he is just being a nice Cowboy homer.

Roger is a big Cowboys homer, I've never heard him say one negative thing about any of the QBs the Cowboys have started over the years. He even had praise for Quincy Carter. One thing Roger knows is how important it is to pick a QB and stay with them. Back in his day Landry had a tough time deciding between him and Craig Morton. Landry was so torn between Staubach and Morton he had Roger running one play and Morton coming in for the next play. Roger said he and Morton were like two ships passing in the night as one ran on the field and the other was running off.

Landry would play Roger one half and Morton the other half. It caused such an issue in the locker room that the players held a meeting with Landry and wanted him to pick a QB. He picked Roger and the Cowboys proceeded to win 10 straight games including their first SB. The team has rallied behind Dak and we have to stay with him. He's led us to this 7-1 record and this is his team.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The situations aren't comparable at all though.

Bledsoe was screwing up, making bad decisions, and playing average. Tony was playing fine but was injured and is now only two years removed from an MVP type season.

Has nothing to do with screwing up, but the circumstance where one player has supplanted the other. And the factions backing each. Because there were some Bledsoe fans that were skeptical of a walk-on QB back then.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
I really.really hate it for Tony...He is like family to us so, the sensitive card is a factor. He has to be walking around his house saying " You have got to be *** kidding me as much as i have been through with the Dallas Cowboys". "Why now" "Am i just cursed?" The professional Tony is saying "I don't care as long as the team is winning I would except what ever role to help my team." I know he has my respect and i appreciate every thing he has done. I don't know what else to say.....Sometimes your the windshield....sometimes your the bug. I sticking with Dak...It's very nice to know this team as two very capable QBs Something that has not been uttered here in a very,very long time. Who knows...Dallas could very well need them both this season. Ask Tony,it only takes one snap to say...."Oh crap, now what?"

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is no different from what most are saying. We'll see where the pendulum goes when we lose a game or two.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score

Not sure if by "they" you are referring to me but I've always been in Tony's corner. Not to the level of some hear that would make you think it's actually Candace posting, but I've defended him quite a bit.

With that being said, Roger has said nothing but positive things about Quincy Carter as well.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

I loved Roger as a player but frankly, what he says about this team is irrelevant to me.

I had posters on him on the wall. I wore his jersey and he was my childhood hero. But that does not matter.

He is not in the know. He has zero idea what these players think. Way different era.

Way different mindset.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
I'm glad we are having this "problem" because it's wy better than last seasons problem. I want to see Daks sophomore year before I decide he's
the next face of the franchise.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Roger is a big Cowboys homer, I've never heard him say one negative thing about any of the QBs the Cowboys have started over the years. He even had praise for Quincy Carter. One thing Roger knows is how important it is to pick a QB and stay with them. Back in his day Landry had a tough time deciding between him and Craig Morton. Landry was so torn between Staubach and Morton he had Roger running one play and Morton coming in for the next play. Roger said he and Morton were like two ships passing in the night as one ran on the field and the other was running off.

Landry would play Roger one half and Morton the other half. It caused such an issue in the locker room that the players held a meeting with Landry and wanted him to pick a QB. He picked Roger and the Cowboys proceeded to win 10 straight games including their first SB. The team has rallied behind Dak and we have to stay with him. He's led us to this 7-1 record and this is his team.
Landry almost messed that up because Morton was his system QB, Roger was more freelance. Roger wanted to be traded if he wasn't the starter, I believe he was 28 years old at the time, remarkable the kind of career he had starting so late.

Imagine if Morton was given the job, maybe there is no Americas Team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Landry almost messed that up because Morton was his system QB, Roger was more freelance. Roger wanted to be traded if he wasn't the starter, I believe he was 28 years old at the time, remarkable the kind of career he had starting so late.

Imagine if Morton was given the job, maybe there is no Americas Team.

Roger liked to take off, scramble and run and Landry didn't like it. Charlie Waters made a funny comment, he said during one game he was standing next to Landry when Staubach pulled the ball down and started to run. Landry screamed no Roger, no! Then Waters said Landry began screaming go Roger, go! lol Landry and the rest of the team could see there was something magical about Roger and thank goodness the right decision was made.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I'm glad we are having this "problem" because it's wy better than last seasons problem. I want to see Daks sophomore year before I decide he's
the next face of the franchise.

How bad does he have to play (next year) for him not being the guy? Just curious.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm certain this isn't lost on those who read or post here, but this is so reminiscent of the year Tony took over for Bledsoe.
To my recollection, it's not reminiscent at all. Bledsoe was a hired gun without a history with the Cowboys. He wasn't playing well and was benched for Romo following an interception (as opposed to an injury). Once we put Romo in, there was no discussion about Bledsoe ever coming back. To me, It's about as different as a QB transition can be. Where do you see the similarities? Both way overshot expectations once they settled in. Is that what you mean?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Erik_H, post: 6965364, member: 440" QB transition[/QUOTE]

regardless of the outside circumstances, this is the core of the issue. And you have factions on both sides of this. There is a huge group of stay with Romo fans, and a smaller group - but growing - of go with Dak.

Because there were some wanting Bledsoe back over an unknown quantity.Until Romo started winning.

Who's winning now?