DMN: Sabin: Can Cole Beasley fill Miles Austin's cleats if latter departs?

jblaze2004

Reaction score
guys miles look slow now. When the last time he made a big play like he use to do? Miles def. isn't worth his contract. heck we can replace his production last season with harris. We are good at wr?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not even a good question. I like Beasley in the slot. I like Miles in the slot. Outside of that there isn't much else in common except their job is to catch the ball and block some.

One of the reasons I was always a big Austin fan was he could play the X, Z, and W. And Beasley is slow and he's....slow. And he's small. Really small.

Slow?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there is a good chance he stays as well. I think he will do as Free did and take the pay cut. The only way Dallas releases him is if they can sign a solid vet FA or if they draft a promising rookie in May.

The final spot should be used on a developmental guy with upside. There is a 6-4 WR with projected 4.3 speed that will be available in the mid to late rounds of the draft. That is the type of player that I would put in the final WR spot.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
The final spot should be used on a developmental guy with upside. There is a 6-4 WR with projected 4.3 speed that will be available in the mid to late rounds of the draft. That is the type of player that I would put in the final WR spot.

Agreed. That is the type player I would expect to push Austin off the roster in June, even with the pay cut.

As the ole Mickeroo would say: If you cut him, who are you going to get to replace him? ;)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Austin may be faster in a 30 yard dash, b/c he will pull a hammy the last 10 yards.

Kind of like the car, looks great, looks fast, was fast at one time. But now blows the engine before it gets going.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I agree, this was more along lines I been thinking of too. Rather drafted [preferred], or a FA with only a few years of experience.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

The problem is a 6-4 WR with 4.3 will never make it to a mid round. I don't care how raw or what his wonderlick is.

6-4 and 4.6, you could find one of those probably

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
4.3 in the late rounds? Man there are very very few guys in the whole league running sub 4.4. You guys better be happy with the Beas, running 4.49. He was a steal.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Cole would be a monster in the slot if he'd just get more opportunities. And even if not, teams get by with a lot less than Witten, Dez and Williams. Austin is not a necessity by any means.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
That depends on what are we asking of Cole to fill, hamstring problems or production? Either way im okay with letting Miles walk.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
oh noes, is this turning into another "Coles is all that" come on guys, hes not all that, he catches the ball and sometimes he doesnt, theres no science to this, our team wouldnt miss him if he wasnt there. Hes not going to be a number 1, he might not even be a number 2, and hes certainly not going to be the differnce in a game. So tap the breaks, if hes gone, you wont remember him again and chances are if he does an Amendola than chances were he wasnt going to do it here. I doubt it tho.

There is no mystery or comic book hero here.. HEs another player. Nothing special, nothing important, nothing world beating, another football player.

Do you think the Jags are thrilled they got Laurent Robinson? No, just because he did well in Dallas doesnt automatically mean he ll do well on another team. Sometimes you hit the wave, other times it hits you. Cole can do well here, or the coaches might find another guy and plug him in and he might be better or worse, its the name of the beast.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is a 6-4 WR with 4.3 will never make it to a mid round. I don't care how raw or what his wonderlick is.

6-4 and 4.6, you could find one of those probably

The official time might be in the 4.4 range. The Cowboys have had some UDFAs in the past that were big 4.3 types. There was the guy several years ago that Garrett's dad (when he was a scout for the Cowboys) said was the fastest guy that size that he had ever seen. Teddy Williams was 6-3 and the fastest player on the team.

You're not paying attention if you don't believe that some super size/speed athletes make it to the mid to late rounds in the draft most years.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
The official time might be in the 4.4 range. The Cowboys have had some UDFAs in the past that were big 4.3 types. There was the guy several years ago that Garrett's dad (when he was a scout for the Cowboys) said was the fastest guy that size that he had ever seen. Teddy Williams was 6-3 and the fastest player on the team.

You're not paying attention if you don't believe that some super size/speed athletes make it to the mid to late rounds in the draft most years.

clearly so as many teams have found out, all the speed in the world doesnt help you if the WR cant catch the ball or cant fight for it.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Miles Austin has a better chance of re-uniting with Kim Kardashian than remaining with the Cowboys. I would hope. Maybe it was her who ruined Miles. Not sure when he began to decline, but I suspect it could be right around when he started dating her. Even Reggie Bush declined after dating her.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there is a good chance he stays as well. I think he will do as Free did and take the pay cut. The only way Dallas releases him is if they can sign a solid vet FA or if they draft a promising rookie in May.

This post is right on the money. I'll be shocked if the Cowboys plan is any different.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The Bease is like a short-range Golden Richards.

Now, do we want the coltish and healthy Bease with an upside or an experienced and often-injured Austin who costs a lot more?
Hmmm.

The Bease seems the logical alternative.
Maybe we could unload Austin for a 4th or 5th-round pick in 2015? I think we could if we properly showcase him in the preseason?

Dang, I'm good.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Austin:

Height: 6021
Weight: 215
40 Yrd Dash: 4.47
20 Yrd Dash: 2.64
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56
Vertical Jump: 40 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.14
3-Cone Drill: 7.09

Beasley:

Height: 5077
Weight: 175
40 Yrd Dash: 4.49
20 Yrd Dash: 2.66
10 Yrd Dash: 1.57
Vertical Jump: 38
Broad Jump: 10'06"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.40
3-Cone Drill: 7.16

His stats are meaningless because he is so often injured. Needs an asterisk that says: * If Healthy

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Miles, unless you have to count on him.......next

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It depends on which Miles we are talking about. If its last season Mile? Harris or Beasley can double that production and probably not be nearly as hurt. If its the Pro Bowl 1000 yard Miles Austin? No. Beasley isn't capable of 1k yards.