DMN: Sabin: Can Cole Beasley fill Miles Austin's cleats if latter departs?

ghst187

Reaction score

yeah, pretty sure slow is something Beasley hasn't been called very often. Not sure about his 40 time but his quickness ensures DBs can't stay with him through his cuts. In fact, I have no idea why Austin was taking any snaps away from Beasley. Everyone already knew Austin is a goner and Beasley is the future.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeah, pretty sure slow is something Beasley hasn't been called very often. Not sure about his 40 time but his quickness ensures DBs can't stay with him through his cuts. In fact, I have no idea why Austin was taking any snaps away from Beasley. Everyone already knew Austin is a goner and Beasley is the future.

1) trade back, add 3rd: DE Ealy (Missouri)
2) DT Donald (Pitt) or DT Quarles (SC)
3a) G Yankey (Stanford)
3b) RB Mason (Auburn) or RB Hyde (Ohio State)
4) DT Sam (Missouri)
5) S Dixon (Baylor)
That would be an insanely great draft, but I don't think any of those players will be available at those picks.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
They also need to find a way to use Harris more in certain situations. He is so good in the open field with the ball in his hands. I'm not saying he has the separation ability or route running to be a starting receiver, but like other great returners in the league, it's up to the OC to find creative ways to incorporate him into the offense with a few touches per game, whether it's bubble screens, end-arounds, slants, hitches....anything. If you're a weapon on punt returns, you can be a weapon on offense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They also need to find a way to use Harris more in certain situations. He is so good in the open field with the ball in his hands. I'm not saying he has the separation ability or route running to be a starting receiver, but like other great returners in the league, it's up to the OC to find creative ways to incorporate him into the offense with a few touches per game, whether it's bubble screens, end-arounds, slants, hitches....anything. If you're a weapon on punt returns, you can be a weapon on offense.

They were reported to intentionally limit his snaps on offense because he is so good on Special Teams. He was not only good as a returner, but he was one of the top kick coverage guys also.

Kristen82

Reaction score
I was the one that asked that question actually. The context was if one of Bryant/Williams goes down can Beasley really fill the #2 spot (the "2" was left off for some reason). Wouldn't it prudent to have cheap veteran depth at WR at least, someone like a Robiskie or a reclamation project like Joe Morgan? Brady struggled when his top WR's went down early in the season and he was left with street FA's and late-round draft picks. It's a long shot that'll we'll lose both our top guys but better to be safe than sorry.

joseephuss

Reaction score
No, Beasely can't fill Austin's shoes. He also won't be asked to fill Austin's shoes. He will be asked to work out of the slot and make first downs. He won't be relied upon to line up on the outside or make game changing plays. He is a move the chains guy.

sbark

Reaction score
I see Beasly and Harris able to fill Austins Role in the slot.............

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Please record and FedEx this video to Jason Garrett's office. The lack of understanding around how to utilize Beasley and Murray leaves me with little confidence that he and his staff will figure it out on their own.. Two great weapons that will probably flourish on other teams once the become FAs. Pisses me off just thinking about it.

our stupid coaching staff does not know how to use beasley.

smu did though..

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Only problem is, Austin's hammies won't allow for him to be showcased...He would probably pull one in the first game and be sidelined again for most of the year...

I have nothing against Miles.

I just wish he'd go to some other team to do his comeback.

I'm getting the same way with Lee.

And I just don't understand why we struggle so much developing lbers.

Maybe Ware needs to go back to Lber..

..that would keep him off the LOS and the wear and tear.

And they could flip him from side to side or even bring him up the middle.

..but even with all that..

do you still pay his $12 mil next year and do you look to draft his replacement?

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
If Beasley wants to fill in for Austin he should practice some hamstring injuries in the offseason.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
One of the great qualities Beasley possesses is that his limitations, size and straight line speed, should negate having to overspend on him in the future despite him having a very useful skillset.

I could see him being a long term 3rd or 4th receiver on the team without other suitors rushing in to try and make him a 1st or 2nd option on their squad. Strange as it is to say his limitations create value for the team. The anti-Austin if you will.