DMN: Sabin: Can Cole Beasley fill Miles Austin's cleats if latter departs?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am all for Cole Beasley being given more opportunities showcasing his receiving and route running skills. While Miles Austin and he may run comparably solid routes, Beasley's has the better set of hands than Austin in my opinion.

Maybe the OP question is unfair to Beasley. Whether it is or is not, I believe a fairer question would be whether the 2014 Austin can adequately fill the cleats of the 2009 half-season version of himself if he were to stay.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Austin's hamstrings are just about as flexible as overcooked hamburger meat. It's gotten to the point where it doesn't take much to tear them badly. It's only a matter of time (and not much of it) nowadays in every season before he goes down with a season-long problem. Let's face it, it's well past time to move on to someone else.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think there is a good chance he stays as well. I think he will do as Free did and take the pay cut. The only way Dallas releases him is if they can sign a solid vet FA or if they draft a promising rookie in May.

That is really the best possible option in that we have a lot less dead money on the cap.

Manster54

Reaction score
Could Beasley fill Miles spot in the training room or the bench? I hope not.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Plan on Miles Austin being a Cowboy in 2014. Garrett still thinks he is a playmaker when healthy. All signs point to him being gone but I'm telling you there is more than an outside chance he stays.

It's not just Garrett. The issue is not his play which when healthy is pretty good. The issue is having Miles on the field playing well without enough health issues to degrade his play. If you want to bring up his production per dollar paid then I'm ok with that. If I were GM I'd ask him to renegotiate his contract and make them reasonable but incentive laden.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Not even a good question. I like Beasley in the slot. I like Miles in the slot. Outside of that there isn't much else in common except their job is to catch the ball and block some.

One of the reasons I was always a big Austin fan was he could play the X, Z, and W. And Beasley is slow and he's....slow. And he's small. Really small.

He's not the fastest, but he has that initial burst that gets seperation. He's got great hands. He makes tough catches. He is a chain mover. He stays relatively healthy for the most part. For the past couple of wasted seasons, can't say that much about Miles can we?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

Yes he's slow for a WR. You can throw out those pro day speeds although I believe his cones. He's not as fast as Miles or Williams. He's not as fast as Dez. But I was just messing around teasing about his speed. His speed is not an issue as he is not asked to use it. It's his quicks that he uses to get separation. He's not especially quick like say McCluster but he's quick enough. He's an asset but he's one dimensional. He cannot play the X, Z and W WR only the W or whatever terminology you wish for a slot wide receiver.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
He's not the fastest, but he has that initial burst that gets seperation. He's got great hands. He makes tough catches. He is a chain mover. He stays relatively healthy for the most part. For the past couple of wasted seasons, can't say that much about Miles can we?

exactly, hes not an open field threat, hes probably not going to score everytime he touches the ball, but he gets you tough yards to move your chains.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

I agree. Miles is the better overall player but it doesn't make any difference if he can't get on the field.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Beasley isn't necessarily slow. In terms of straight line speed, Austin is much faster. In terms of shiftyness (if that's even a word), Beasley is much better. Sadly, Miles is a shell of what he once was, which was really just a flash in the pan considering other WRs...but he was undrafted. I'm in the camp to ditch Miles, but I don't think Beasley is his replacement...Williams would probably be the best hope for that at this point.

I agree. It's called the quicks which he has modestly. But he has enough to get separation. I like the player. Once he catches the ball he's not running away from people so I know he's not fast. But that's not in his bag of tools. You're right about Williams being his likeliest replacement. However, there is no one on this team who can actually replace a healthy Austin. Therein lies the problem. I'd ask Miles to renegotiate his contract and play with an incentive laden contract.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
oh noes, is this turning into another "Coles is all that" come on guys, hes not all that, he catches the ball and sometimes he doesnt, theres no science to this, our team wouldnt miss him if he wasnt there. Hes not going to be a number 1, he might not even be a number 2, and hes certainly not going to be the differnce in a game. So tap the breaks, if hes gone, you wont remember him again and chances are if he does an Amendola than chances were he wasnt going to do it here. I doubt it tho.

There is no mystery or comic book hero here.. HEs another player. Nothing special, nothing important, nothing world beating, another football player.

Do you think the Jags are thrilled they got Laurent Robinson? No, just because he did well in Dallas doesnt automatically mean he ll do well on another team. Sometimes you hit the wave, other times it hits you. Cole can do well here, or the coaches might find another guy and plug him in and he might be better or worse, its the name of the beast.

I like the player more than this. I think he's a good player to put in the game in three WR sets to help pick up a first down. He should probably get a few more snaps but you can't ask him to play much more than some reasonably quick hitters. Are you going to ask this player to give it up across the middle? Are you sending him on a fly either as primary or decoy? He's a situational player.

Fredd

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking.. Miles has done nothing in the last two seasons to even warrant this question.

Couldn't agree more, and I actually LIKE Miles...if I thought he could play an entire season, I would WANT him in the slot...but alas, the cost is prohibitive for the serious lack of production

JUST SAY NO!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, and I actually LIKE Miles...if I thought he could play an entire season, I would WANT him in the slot...but alas, the cost is prohibitive for the serious lack of production

JUST SAY NO!

I don't agree but I do agree his lack of production and injuries are a HUGE problem for us and him. He has to get on and stay on the field while doing as expected. I think you can do this IF he renegotiates his contract with heavy incentives to make his money. And I suspect that is a problem for the cap. You'd have to ask Adam or someone about incentive likely to be made.

Fredd

Reaction score
I don't agree but I do agree his lack of production and injuries are a HUGE problem for us and him. He has to get on and stay on the field while doing as expected. I think you can do this IF he renegotiates his contract with heavy incentives to make his money. And I suspect that is a problem for the cap. You'd have to ask Adam or someone about incentive likely to be made.

oh, I wouldn't mind him staying for some type of Free-esque pay cut, but every player has the help the team in some way...his cost is KILLING the team with him giving nothing else in return...this team would take off offensively if he was healthy for a full season...who would you guard?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
oh, I wouldn't mind him staying for some type of Free-esque pay cut, but every player has the help the team in some way...his cost is KILLING the team with him giving nothing else in return...this team would take off offensively if he was healthy for a full season...who would you guard?

Oh, yeah. You just get killed my depending and paying players not producing. And yes a healthy productive Austin would make this offense more productive.

Fredd

Reaction score
The thing is, when he is healthy, he would demand a double-team once he gets hot in the slot...if they don't, he burns you...so, take him away, and assuming that Dez is doubled, then Witten has 10/110/2 td....try to take all 3 away then Murray is gashing you for 7 yds a pop....my God, I think I am getting excited!!!! (better calm down)

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Sabin: Can Cole Beasley fill Miles Austin's cleats if latter departs?

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/incoming/20140104-ns_29cowstock05gm_35008222.jpg.ece/BINARY/w620x413/NS_29COWSTOCK05GM_35008222.JPG

Published: 09 January 2014 09:12 PM

Cowboys beat writer Rainer Sabin answered questions in a chat Wednesday. Here are some highlights.

Question: If we let Austin go, will we draft a WR or sign a FA as we won't have much left behind Bryant and Williams. One of those guys goes down, not sure Beasley can take on the # duties. Thanks!

Rainer Sabin: I don't know about that. I like Beasley. In fact, I like him a lot. I think he should have been used more than he was this season. He's very reliable, and he creates separation off the line of scrimmage almost immediately. He's very difficult to defend. He's not necessarily going to make the big 80-yard catch. But he will move the sticks on third down.

Question: Cowboys almost there 3yrs running only thing is this yeari think we were a lot closer than the previous2. What besides being healthy can we do? Is this the year we cut ties with people to draft big or do we trade picks for players?

Rainer Sabin: The Cowboys are in a difficult position because of the salary cap. They don't have much flexibility and veteran acquisitions will be limited. I think the Cowboys need quantity and much as quality in the draft. By trading up they give up picks and the Cowboys need good players to reinforce the depleted units on the team that include the defensive line and linebacker corps.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...l-miles-austin-s-cleats-if-latter-departs.ece

The answer to me is.. NO.

We have not been able to develop anybody quickly enough to help so far.

We need to draft more WR help this year.

I mean we have seen the Robinson's come and go..

heck..we had Danny Amendola..remember?

And Crayton was mis-used as was Hurd and never achieved what was expected.

Let's not talk Roy Williams and the Detroit trade that set us back 5 years at WR.

So no..another position this team must address now.

I'm also concerned with Dez's back going forward and we could lose him anytime.

So now what?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Read that Jerry is working on Austin contract restructuring. Means he won't be gone like we all think he should be. Jerry is too loyal to a fault and so willing to give money away. Deion, Ratliff, Spencer, and now looks like Austin as well.

Jerrah is nothing if he's not optimistic.

It's like he decides these guys he pins his hope on such as an Austin

..or MBIII

or Julios Jones

or Felix Jones

.. are going to get better with age and injury and then Pays Them More..

The old boy must be going insane.

Is there a doctor in the house..please?

Anybody?

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
I don't feel like there is a single game this season that we lost, that we would have won with a healthy Miles. I don't think he's that much of a difference maker at this point.

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
The Bease is like a short-range Golden Richards.

Now, do we want the coltish and healthy Bease with an upside or an experienced and often-injured Austin who costs a lot more?
Hmmm.

The Bease seems the logical alternative.
Maybe we could unload Austin for a 4th or 5th-round pick in 2015? I think we could if we properly showcase him in the preseason?

Dang, I'm good.

Only problem is, Austin's hammies won't allow for him to be showcased...He would probably pull one in the first game and be sidelined again for most of the year...