Twitter: DMN - Sources: Cowboys will exercise 5th year option on C Travis Frederick

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
This is a conversation about the OL, not any other position on the team. The team is excellent at landing some good quality UDFA but La'el Collins is not a "find", he is a gift.

I am simply stating the FACT that the FO should not receive credit for building an OL with essentially essentially four first round picks. If I spend four first round picks on any position, it better be great. I can maybe give them credit for Frederick since most did not see him worthy of being drafted that high. I credit them with being patient and building the position, not so much for talent evaluation. Most every team knew Collins, Smith and Martin were going to be studs.

Geez...I am one of the more optimistic fans on here and have been called out on it before but I discredit the FO on one minor detail and the hounds are released on me? Wow, now I know how some other posters must feel.
Your premise for "credit" assumes that all teams rate players the same. You are judging based on the media rating. The Frederick pick should show you that they stick to their own evaluation and pick players they see fit. They get lots of credit for this. The media, and many fans for that matter wanted Johnny Football. The front office stuck to their board, and we got Z. Martin. Just because someone is projected to be a first round pick doesn't mean they will end up as a great or even a good player.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Thou shall not criticize any move, player, coach...ever
Silly comment. If you are going to say that the front office gets no credit for picking players projected to go in the first round that turn out good, they should also get no blame for picking players in the first round that bust, like Morris Claiborne.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Silly comment. If you are going to say that the front office gets no credit for picking players projected to go in the first round that turn out good, they should also get no blame for picking players in the first round that bust, like Morris Claiborne.

He is just exaggerating the point that spending 4 #1s on the OL better produce a great OL.

But it also why we have holes at the other skill positions. It isn't rocket science.

But even if you criticize a little around here all the homers get worked up and try to silence you.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I hope you're not crediting the front office for hitting on UDFA by acquiring La'el Collins. Collins is essentially a first round pick by draft grade.

He also had interest from several teams after the draft and as a 1st round talent chose the Cowboys. So you tell me, who do you give the credit to?

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I don't disagree at all. I am happy they made the investment, it would just be nice if they could find some talented, franchise caliber players at other points in the draft besides just round 1. I know round one is where you typically find your best players but a lot of the better teams can find a player here and there all throughout the draft to become a great player.

That's a fair point, robjay, but if it were easy everyone would be doing it. Also, to be fair no team does it on a consistent basis. We can all point to isolated incidents but no team is out there churning 5th round players into solid contributors on a regular basis.

With that being said, I would settle for knocking a few 2nd and 3rd rounders out of the park, for a change.

robjay04

Reaction score
He also had interest from several teams after the draft and as a 1st round talent chose the Cowboys. So you tell me, who do you give the credit to?

I give credit to Jerry Jones. He has always been excellent and recruiting players to play for us. Persuasion has never been an issue, plus when money is not involved, playing for the Cowboys stands out to young players. My point is Collins is a gift, not a find like most UDFA talent.

Section446

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how we're going to hold onto all our OL's.