LA works a drill

0801allen.jpg

Eddie keeps his eye on the ball

0801george.jpg

Julius delivers the H2O

0801jones.jpg

The QBs line up for a drill

0801qbs.jpg

Vinnie spins the ball (he is very good at this)

0801vinny.jpg

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Vinnie spins the ball (he is very good at this)

We've got a guy (TE) on my semi-pro team that can do that. I can't even do it with a basketball, much less an oval shaped football. :mad:

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Rack said:
We've got a guy (TE) on my semi-pro team that can do that. I can't even do it with a basketball, much less an oval shaped football. :mad:
He has done it every training camp I can remember
Vinnie.JPG

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
The QBs line up for a drill

0801qbs.jpg
Bad form by Drew. Way too low. I hate seeing that. The other 3 are doing it perfect. I hope Sean Payton chewed his rear end off.

That's all I will say. "You can't tell anything from a still picture." :rolleyes:

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Bad form by Drew. Way too low. I hate seeing that. The other 3 are doing it perfect. I hope Sean Payton chewed his rear end off.

That's all I will say. "You can't tell anything from a still picture." :rolleyes:
LMAO, ok point proven, but come on, how can we know one fourth of a second later that ball wasn't up there?

Is a drill the Rockettes, everything synchronized to the nanosecond?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
LMAO, ok point proven, but come on, how can we know one fourth of a second later that ball wasn't up there?

Is a drill the Rockettes, everything synchronized to the nanosecond?
It is supposed to be, yes. Speed makes a difference in football.

Okay, I will say one more thing about that picture. Notice the attitude of the football among the other 3 guys. Vinny's is flat against his chest, Q and Tony have their's pointed outward.

Pop quiz...which way makes more sense to you and why? :D

It may seem like a little thing, but it's not.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Okay, I will say one more thing about that picture. Notice the attitude of the football among the other 3 guys. Vinny's is flat against his chest, Q and Tony have their's pointed outward.

Rhetorical question... ;)

The ball has to be brought back perpendicular to the throwing target... it is easier to do from the flat position...

kmd24

Reaction score
Well, I'd guess Vinny's the one who's got it right. Probably easier to get the ball stripped with it pointing out?

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Vinnie's is in the perfect position to cock and release the ball quickley, and it's harder for the defense to strip the ball???

Okay, I give up.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
was doing this summer.

Guess this is one of them

Thanks for pics - good stuff

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
The ball position shown by Vinny suggests he would be less likely to fumble. It also would be least likely to tip off a defender of the QB's intentions. Vinny could pass, run or hand off with this position. (play action) JMO. :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kmd24 said:
Well, I'd guess Vinny's the one who's got it right. Probably easier to get the ball stripped with it pointing out?
We have a winner.

Take your hands and hold an imaginary ball out in front of you like Vinny and like Q and Tony.

Which one has pressure on the wrists? Which one is more relaxed?

Now imagine yourself being hit. Vinny's way the ball is already up against the body a little bit. Easier to protect.

The more the defender can see of the ball, the easier he can strip it.

Make sense?

Of course not, "you can't tell anything from a still picture." :rolleyes:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LeonDixson said:
Vinnie's is in the perfect position to cock and release the ball quickley, and it's harder for the defense to strip the ball???

Okay, I give up.
Correct.

Try the suggestion with the wrists and the imaginary ball that I said last post. You can feel a difference.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Okay, I just picked up my husband's football and ludciously tried to imitate the grip with my pathetically small hands that measure 6 and a 7/8 inches from wrist to end of middle finger. :D

Holding the ball closer to my chest (that's not quite the same either) gave me a feeling greater of control over the ball (which for me is way too unwieldy to throw more than a few feet), and I THINK my release would be both faster and truer. The other way loses me some time and I have to sort of re-position the ball.

Did I pass, Teach?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Rhetorical question... ;)

The ball has to be brought back perpendicular to the throwing target... it is easier to do from the flat position...
Another good point. By pointing the ball outward you have to turn the wrist back in when you bring the ball up.

Little things like this is why Dan Marino had such a quick release.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Okay, I just picked up my husband's football and ludciously tried to imitate the grip with my pathetically small hands that measure 6 and a 7/8 inches from wrist to end of middle finger. :D

Holding the ball closer to my chest (that's not quite the same either) gave me a feeling greater of control over the ball (which for me is way too unwieldy to throw more than a few feet), and I THINK my release would be both faster and truer. The other way loses me some time and I have to sort of re-position the ball.

Did I pass, Teach?

Just because of the imagery you get an A from me :D