DMN Sunday Photos

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Good call. Favre is pretty good as well. Warner not bad.

Still say DeBerg was the best. The way he could put that ball on his hip and fake a handoff was amazing. The camera would be following the runner who was hitting the line meanwhile DeBerg had a WR running free and he would let if fly. Watching the cameras try and find the ball in flight was awesome.

2785.jpg

Notice the ball position. Tight to his body. Maybe a little low for some people, but damn effective for some awesome play action. He was a true magician.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Why someone would think and preach that a still picture tells you nothing is beyond me.

If you referring to what I said about that minicamp picture of Carter and Testaverde, then you're grossly misrepresenting what I said. I didn't say "you can't tell anything from a still picture." I said you couldn't tell what you thought you could tell from THAT still picture. In that instance, both quarterbacks were going through a series of motions. Because they didn't look exactly the same in the photo, you assumed that one of them was doing it wrong, when they simply could have been unsynchronized. In this instance, showing the quarterbacks' ball position as they drop back, it doesn't matter if they're synchronized, because we know how the ball should be held at every point in time during the dropback.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
...I know all this about the ball has some importance, but I can't help but remember Bradshaw talking about this one time and it was hilarious. He did everything you aren't supposed to do with the ball before he threw it, including patting it. He said the coaches used to say "don't do this, don't do that and don't do the other". Well finally he said "heck, I was thinking so much about holding the ball, I forgot what else I was supposed to be doing, so I just went out and played." It all ended up pretty good for him, I guess.

:D

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Good call. Favre is pretty good as well. Warner not bad.

Still say DeBerg was the best. The way he could put that ball on his hip and fake a handoff was amazing. The camera would be following the runner who was hitting the line meanwhile DeBerg had a WR running free and he would let if fly. Watching the cameras try and find the ball in flight was awesome.

I have been pretty impressed with Manning's play action.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Too bad Steve-O couldn't fake out the cops.

Follow this link , click on "Inquiries Online"

Click on "Arrest Inquiry"

For last name, type deberg.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Do we HAVE to argue about this?

Let's just face it....no QB's mechanics are 100% on 100% of the time.

It's a sad day indeed when we argue over a picture.

I see Hos's point and I see Adam's point....but what I don't see is the point in arguing over it.

Sorry for being the voice of reason. :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SoTex said:
2785.jpg

Notice the ball position. Tight to his body. Maybe a little low for some people, but damn effective for some awesome play action. He was a true magician.
I actually think he has it at the right height and the others are too high. Easier to hide and to clutch it to your chest. Henson has the ball at his belly in that pic. Not good.

We originally drafted Steve DeBerg. I always like him. Like I said, a magician with that ball.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
If you referring to what I said about that minicamp picture of Carter and Testaverde, then you're grossly misrepresenting what I said. I didn't say "you can't tell anything from a still picture." I said you couldn't tell what you thought you could tell from THAT still picture. In that instance, both quarterbacks were going through a series of motions. Because they didn't look exactly the same in the photo, you assumed that one of them was doing it wrong, when they simply could have been unsynchronized. In this instance, showing the quarterbacks' ball position as they drop back, it doesn't matter if they're synchronized, because we know how the ball should be held at every point in time during the dropback.
I stand by what I said both times about the pictures and what they reveal about mechanics. Place whatever value upon it that you wish.

You were by no means the only person skeptical and you were very nice about it. No disrespect was felt by me. No attempt by you to ridicule. So don't feel singled out.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk said:
I have been pretty impressed with Manning's play action.
He is overall one of the most technically sound QBs I've ever seen. JMO

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
Do we HAVE to argue about this?

Let's just face it....no QB's mechanics are 100% on 100% of the time.

It's a sad day indeed when we argue over a picture.

I see Hos's point and I see Adam's point....but what I don't see is the point in arguing over it.

Sorry for being the voice of reason. :D
Maybe it's just me Jim, but I didn't think anyone was arguing..............yet.

Pre-emptive strike for when someone does? :D

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I actually think he has it at the right height and the others are too high. Easier to hide and to clutch it to your chest. Henson has the ball at his belly in that pic. Not good.

We originally drafted Steve DeBerg. I always like him. Like I said, a magician with that ball.

I also like his positioning of the football. Very stable and consistent. Easy to repeat. Keeps defenders that get their reads of QB's off balance.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Maybe it's just me Jim, but I didn't think anyone was arguing..............yet.

Pre-emptive strike for when someone does? :D
Well arguing or no, I for one appreciate the education on anything having to do with mechanics, as those of us who obviously never played don't get the opportunity to learn about such things.

Yes, these are the kinds of topics that Mr Mosely insists football fans are
not interested in, I know. :D

It's only a few still photos in isolation, but I think an astute observer/expert can pretty much read them like a medical doctor does an x-ray. There is a golf pro frequents this board who gave me some great insight into some of the little things a golfer can do to improve his game, just from five or six photos. Usually, we have to pay for that kind of experitise.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Well arguing or no, I for one appreciate the education on anything having to do with mechanics, as those of us who obviously never played don't get the opportunity to learn about such things.

Yes, these are the kinds of topics that Mr Mosely insists football fans are
not interested in, I know. :D

It's only a few still photos in isolation, but I think an astute observer/expert can pretty much read them like a medical doctor does an x-ray. There is a golf pro frequents this board who gave me some great insight into some of the little things a golfer can do to improve his game, just from five or six photos. Usually, we have to pay for that kind of experitise.
Poor Matt Mosely. Stuck his foot in pretty deep.

BlueWave

Reaction score
Carter is holding the ball weird. I have never known anyone to have his pinky over the strings. Look at the other three. It's the ring finger. I have always thrown with the ring finger over the strings. That's odd.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
BlueWave said:
Carter is holding the ball weird. I have never known anyone to have his pinky over the strings. Look at the other three. It's the ring finger. I have always thrown with the ring finger over the strings. That's odd.

Lots of quarterbacks put their pinky over the strings. It's just a matter of feel.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
like a golf swing it doesn't really matter how you get there as long as you square up the clubface.

In throwing a football there is one rule you cannot break: the point of the ball must be in direct line to your intended target. Whether you are telegraphing a long arcing throw or sending in a rope directly, the point of the ball must translate to the target.

If you don't believe me try throwing the ball a few degrees off and see whether the flight and the path give you any results.

As for ball in or out, high or low, fingers on stitching or off it all really doesn't matter in regards to the results of the throw. Just scroll through the all the pictures shown in this thread of QBs from Deberg to Manning. Even Acheman's finger on the point of the ball did not deter him from developing a reputation as one of the most accurate passers in the history of the league when it wasn't raining.

There is one other tip I would say is critical to an accurate throw and that would be a firm wrist in the wind up and release phase of the throw. Your wrist needs to trigger forward at the highest point of your release to propel it forward. Your ability to do this with strength determines the speed of your ball along with your arm speed.

Now if you want to improve you throwing technique in order to make you delivery more compact and efficient,avoid throwing injuries on your shoulder, negate fumbles by holding the ball high, close and inline, and releasing consistently for accuracy under any conditions then that's where the majority of the thread here could help you.

For any other weekend warrior, point the ball to your target, firm up that wrist and heave it. You may have a sore shoulder from a awkward throwing motion, but you should get the ball off to your daughter before your wife breaks through your son's protection and sacks you.

As for nicely thrown balls and good positioning, I always thought Fouts was a nice looking QB in terms of ball flight and mechanics. Strongest arm with most efficient throwing motion is by far Ralph "Call me Dieter" Brock. Played with Winnipeg BlueBombers of the CFL before joining the L.A. Rams. Stories of him are legendary - far surpassing what even Favre could do in his prime.

Ex. 1977 for the CBC throws goal line to goal line on Canadian field with one step. In excess of 110 yards in the air. You can still view the video from your local Canadian Library from the NFB ( National Film Board) archives.