News: DMN: Terrell Davis says underachieving DeMarco Murray 'running to darkness'

fffiasco

Reaction score
Murray's thoughts on the 48 yard run...

“I could’ve just walked into the end zone, but I definitely made a mistake,” Murray said. “I thought the guys were so far in front of me I wouldn’t be able to out run them, but things happen. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again. I messed up on that one.”

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Funny how TD and crew had exactly one play to demonstrate him running to darkness.

And then the play posted in this thread showed MMA gaining 48 yards after being hit twice in the backfield.

At the very least I think it'd be fair to say he creates as many yards as he "leaves on the field."

And guys he was a 3rd rounder and runs a 4.37. He owns the Cowboys single game rushing record playing behind a horrendous line.

I have heard almost no criticism of the guy (non injury related) until really in this thread.

Love seeing these anti-player bandwagons form spontaneously. Always comical.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
i'd say he is, i cant name 15 better runners. but anyway he in that ball park not top 10 or top 5 like other have said

he'll be a top15 back if he makes it a full season, don't see him even coming close to top10 much less top 5

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
Definitely an anti-player bandwagon when someone finds a possible weakness in one of our players.

It's definitely comical and totally reasonable to call fans in this thread out as not liking their players because they don't think they're OMG GUISE #1 RUNNINGBAK IN DA LEAGUE.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
He was a different runner his rookie year. He has chosen to become a guy who puts his head down to get the tough yards and at times he has his head down looking for contact.This is the reason I was exstatic Peete was shown the door. He needs to get back to running to day light like he did in college.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
this is where I rank him
ADP
Muscle Hamster
Foster
JC
Spiller
Lynch
Rice
McCoy
Richardson
Morris
Forte
CJ
Ridley
MJD
Wilson
Gore
Murray

Bush, Miller,Lacy could push him even lower especially if he doesn't make it all season

iceman117

Reaction score
this is where I rank him
ADP
Muscle Hamster
Foster
JC
Spiller
Lynch
Rice
McCoy
Richardson
Morris
Forte
CJ
Ridley
MJD
Wilson
Gore
Murray

Bush, Miller,Lacy could push him even lower especially if he doesn't make it all season

i agree with where you got him pretty much except david wilson.... and Murray could also pass a good chunk of those guys with a strong season of his own especially the older guys

Reactions: BAZ

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
He's been overrated by the fan base. Some people talk about him like he's a top 5 back in the league.

He's a pretty solid back when he's healthy.

Don't really think it's over rating the guy. Did you not see what our running game was without him last season? Him being out changed every thing we had to do on offense. NOBODY thinks he is a top 5 back, but with a better run blocking o line he is a more than capable starter in the NFL.

cannonball44

Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager
Reaction score
What has made DeMarco special for us is basically what made Marion Barber special for us: the ability to break tackles. When your OL sucks arse and you have to immediately break tackles before getting to the original LOS, the "daylight" thing becomes a secondary consideration, he makes his own holes when none are there. It's basically the same kinda thing that made Romo our guy instead of Drew "feet of stone" Bledsoe.

Romo doesn't have a golden arm and Demarco doesn't have great vision, but what they do have is absolutely necessary for a Jerry Jones managed roster.

BRAVO!!!

BRAVO!!!

ENCORE!!!

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Don't really think it's over rating the guy. Did you not see what our running game was without him last season? Him being out changed every thing we had to do on offense. NOBODY thinks he is a top 5 back, but with a better run blocking o line he is a more than capable starter in the NFL.

While I agree with what you said, with our rich history of great RBs, why are we settling for a capable starter at RB with better run blocking.

Noway to get around it, its a put up or shut up year for Murray.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
It's easy to judge a runningbacks vision on a replay because you use hindsight. A running back has to make those decisions in the present or future tense. Every runningback leaves yards on the field.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
You ever hear of the term used by police (and others): people have the tendencies in a stress situation to "Fight or Flight".

Murray has a lot more "Fight" than "Flight".

For better or worse.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
While I agree with what you said, with our rich history of great RBs, why are we settling for a capable starter at RB with better run blocking.

Noway to get around it, its a put up or shut up year for Murray.

Because unless you have an AD...it makes a lot more sense to churn at the position with mid round picks.

risco

Reaction score
Murray's thoughts on the 48 yard run...

“I could’ve just walked into the end zone, but I definitely made a mistake,” Murray said. “I thought the guys were so far in front of me I wouldn’t be able to out run them, but things happen. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again. I messed up on that one.”

Like Murray's comment- at least he knows what he did and hopefully he sees daylight better.

slomoxn

Reaction score
soooooo, Murray is being criticized for avoiding three defenders in the backfield and then gining 48 yards??? I understand that sometimes he does not see the daylight but can we at least give him creditt for running for positive yards behnd a crappy oline? This is definitely a case of taking he good with the bad, postively thinking he can learn from his mistakes.