News: DMN: Terrell Davis says underachieving DeMarco Murray 'running to darkness'

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
This is how the article originally opened. This part was later deleted from the OP, and this kind of stat is usually dismissed out of hand (as the writer did here), but there are probably better stats that can be used to measure the importance of the running game.

Over Romo's career, in games that are close through three quarters (7-point margin or less) the Cowboys are 20-11 (.645) when they score a rushing TD, and 14-18 (.438) when they don't. These are close games only, so it's not a stat that's skewed by a team having a big lead and then playing it safe by running the ball and scoring against an already beaten defense. In those same games, the Cowboys are 29-24 (.547) when they score a passing TD, and 5-5 (.500) when they don't.

The Cowboys have been almost 50% more likely to win a close game when they score a rushing TD, and only 9% more likely to win when they score a passing TD.
I would have to see this analysis over a much larger sample size. Here, just a couple games go the other way and it tells a different story.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
He was going to be caught by 3 guys faster than he is. And are we really criticizing him on that run where he turned a 2 yard loss into a 48 yard gain?

Unbelievable.

Its not the point.

This franchise is searching for a good Rb since Emmit left for Arizona. Now they found someone who is able to run straight without stumbling over his own feet and everybody is overhyping like they found AP the 2nd.

Point is to stay realistic. And fact is Murray is a good back but right now nothing special.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
All these observations, along with the injury issues, is why he lasted until we selected him. The "mystery" is solved.

I am not a big fan of Randle's but I am glad we took him. He provides very much the same kind of game as Murray does and makes it so it is not crucial we worry about re-signing him, if at all.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
He was going to be caught by 3 guys faster than he is. And are we really criticizing him on that run where he turned a 2 yard loss into a 48 yard gain?
Unbelievable.

This...

People never cease to amaze me.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Its not the point.

This franchise is searching for a good Rb since Emmit left for Arizona. Now they found someone who is able to run straight without stumbling over his own feet and everybody is overhyping like they found AP the 2nd.

Point is to stay realistic. And fact is Murray is a good back but right now nothing special.

If you're looking for AP, draft an AP like RB. We're getting amazing value for a third round draft pick.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
If you're looking for AP, draft an AP like RB. We're getting amazing value for a third round draft pick.

Did you understand what my post was about ? I dont think so.

I guess you feel offended because you are an Murray lover. Which you shouldn't because i had no intension to say something negative about him. And in fact i did not.

But if it makes you feel better i can speak about him like all the others do: he was, is and will be the greatest RB the world will ever witness. Feeling better now ?

Deep_South

Reaction score

True, certainly a bit more value than our recent third round picks Jason Williams, Robert Brewster, and James Marten.

fatboygixxer

Reaction score
Murray's thoughts on the 48 yard run...

“I could’ve just walked into the end zone, but I definitely made a mistake,” Murray said. “I thought the guys were so far in front of me I wouldn’t be able to out run them, but things happen. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again. I messed up on that one.”

Honestly, I still think he was out of gas..looks much better for a young player to say he made a mental mistake than to state he couldn't finish the run.. No way any NFL running back would cut it inside with the whole field in front of him. He knew he couldn't outrun them and just delivered contact first..He also delivered one heck of a blow and had to completely change direction, Great run but he was clearly worn out at the end.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Its not the point.

Who are these people calling him special?

Who are these mythical people that everyone keeps referencing?

They aren't in this thread.

They haven't been posting recently.

You're arguing against a point that hasn't been made. Certainly not by the majority.

gdogg24

Reaction score
And here we go; another Cowboys RB about to be declared a pile magnet by the fan base.

is that train ever late? I think he's better than Barber, Choice and Felix were I mean it's all about healthy to me he's a good player a smart player he changes what we can do offensively now stay on the dang field.

newlander

Reaction score
Interesting take on Murray's running style.

Can't say I disagree.

Me either and I've felt that way for awhile now MW....the kid is raw but in fairness, the line he's run behind has been SO dang bad I haven't had the heart to rip into him too much. He still has a big upside IMO though.....

gdogg24

Reaction score
Me either and I've felt that way for awhile now MW....the kid is raw but in fairness, the line he's run behind has been SO dang bad I haven't had the heart to rip into him too much. He still has a big upside IMO though.....

I really want to see him get a full games work in behind this zone blocking scheme

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
this is where I rank him
ADP
Muscle Hamster
Foster
JC
Spiller
Lynch
Rice
McCoy
Richardson
Morris
Forte
CJ
Ridley
MJD
Wilson
Gore
Murray

Bush, Miller,Lacy could push him even lower especially if he doesn't make it all season

I think he should pass Gore, Chris Johnson, and MJD this year. I think he's already better than Wilson. I also think Rice will really fall off this year (just a hunch) so in my estimation he'll be around 10th after this year.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Am I the only one who say that all 3 of those defenders were going to catch him in 1 or 2 steps?

Vision? He was running in a straight line.

Talk about confirmation bias.

Yes. You are the only one. Dez was I. Front and murry should have scored.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Am I the only one who say that all 3 of those defenders were going to catch him in 1 or 2 steps?

Vision? He was running in a straight line.

Talk about confirmation bias.

Did you notice how he stopped running in a straight line and turned into the defenders. That's what TD means by "running to darkness"

Lonestar94

Reaction score
I think he should pass Gore, Chris Johnson, and MJD this year. I think he's already better than Wilson. I also think Rice will really fall off this year (just a hunch) so in my estimation he'll be around 10th after this year.

Uh, no. Gore and MJD are extremely underrated and Chris Johnson has rushed for 2k yards, Murray hasn't come close to that and don't think he ever will. Who is Wilson?

Fredd

Reaction score
I can't wait for the season to start to actually have something legit to talk about...people want to complain for the sake of complaining

* "Romo can't win win in the playoffs, remember when he fumbled the hold? see? I told you!"
* "Murray is not good, he only ran for 48 yards on one play"
* "Why can't we build from the trenches out? I would rather not have all of the skill and defensive players that we have, I want more OL and DL (oh wait, we did draft two OL in the 1st in the last 3 season - screw it, I want to complain)"

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
3rd round pick who is averaging 4.8 yards per carry is underachieving ......... yea ....... ok