DNA of our SB Teams

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not saying it was solely a great running game that won the Cowboys titles they had great defenses and also had an elite runner in the backfield. I've pointed out many times I don't believe they'll ever win another championship no matter how good the offense is until they have at least a respectable defense that can rush the passer and force some turnovers.

Exactly. Which is why I would think it would be smarter to use the 4th pick on defense or even trade down for more picks to stockpile some defensive talent as opposed to using the 4th pick on a TB.

Because as we saw in 2014, you don't need a Top 5 drafted TB to have a great running game behind this OL.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Exactly. Which is why I would think it would be smarter to use the 4th pick on defense or even trade down for more picks to stockpile some defensive talent as opposed to using the 4th pick on a TB.

Because as we saw in 2014, you don't need a Top 5 drafted TB to have a great running game behind this OL.

We need to go defense with our first pick. I would trade down, get an extra #2 and pull the trigger on a defensive player leaving us with two #2's using one on a QB.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
We need to go defense with our first pick. I would trade down, get an extra #2 and pull the trigger on a defensive player leaving us with two #2's using one on a QB.

what defensive player, after your trade down is going to impact this team like Elliott would?

Sydla

Reaction score
what defensive player, after your trade down is going to impact this team like Elliott would?

No one can say for certain. Maybe Noah Spence is there at 15 and he develops into the elite pass rushing end that some project he might?

Here's what I know. Elliott isn't good enough to make this a SB team, not without a defense. Conversely, I know I can build an elite level running game without investing a Top 5 pick in a TB. Why? Because we did it two years ago.

So with that in mind, if I can trade back, stockpile picks, draft more players, hopefully, on the defensive side of the ball and then trust my OL is great enough to take a talented but not Top 5 pick TB and make him a successful NFL RB, that's the path that's going to get this team to a SB more likely than just drafting a TB at 4 and thinking he's so transcendent as a player that he alone will turn this team into a SB winner.

And of course, your whole premise makes the assumption that Elliott is even that good and makes such a big impact. It's possible he could actually end up being the next Trent Richardson as opposed to the next Adrian Peterson.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
No one can say for certain. Maybe Noah Spence is there at 15 and he develops into the elite pass rushing end that some project he might?

Here's what I know. Elliott isn't good enough to make this a SB team, not without a defense. Conversely, I know I can build an elite level running game without investing a Top 5 pick in a TB. Why? Because we did it two years ago.

So with that in mind, if I can trade back, stockpile picks, draft more players, hopefully, on the defensive side of the ball and then trust my OL is great enough to take a talented but not Top 5 pick TB and make him a successful NFL RB, that's the path that's going to get this team to a SB more likely than just drafting a TB at 4 and thinking he's so transcendent as a player that he alone will turn this team into a SB winner.

what position do you feel we need to address in the draft, that you would pass on a blue chip player in Elliott? and if it's DE...why aren't you banging the drum for Bosa?

Sydla

Reaction score
what position do you feel we need to address in the draft, that you would pass on a blue chip player in Elliott? and if it's DE...why aren't you banging the drum for Bosa?

There are quite a few positions we need to address. CB, S, DE........... I just don't like Bosa as I don't think he'd be an elite pass rusher and I think if you take a DE at 4, that's what he needs to be.

So if QB isn't an option at 4, I'd prefer to move the pick.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
There are quite a few positions we need to address. CB, S, DE........... I just don't like Bosa as I don't think he'd be an elite pass rusher and I think if you take a DE at 4, that's what he needs to be.

qb is an option at 4, preferably Goff....if he's not there....I just don't like Bosa, Buckner, Ramsey or Jack enough to pass on Elliott, hence a small trade down to no later than #6 or #7 that's been my opinion all along. lastly i'm one that wants us to re-sign Hardy to another one year deal as he would be instantly our best DL.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Who's to say what defensive player is going to impact the team the draft is a crapshoot JJ Watt was the 11th pick in 2011. Even if Elliott turns into a great back the Cowboys aren't going to get very far until they fix the defense. In 2014 we had the leagues leading rusher in Murray who broke a franchise rushing record and we couldn't get past the second round of the playoffs because of the defense. The addition of Morris is going to help the running game and most drafts are deep in RBs so we can draft one later. The smart move would be to trade down, pick up an extra #2 and roll the dice on the best pass rusher available.

You have Buckner and Lawson a couple of DEs rated in the top 12 that could impact this team. With Hardy done in Dallas and the jury still out on DLaw and with Gregory's future looking clouded from all the smoke from pot we need a formidable pass rusher to help improve the defense. DLaw's effectiveness will likely be reduced with Hardy gone he didn't have a single sack during the regular season his rookie year without Demarcus Ware having to be accounted for so it's imperative that we address the DE position high in the draft. To get turnovers and get our defense off the field on 3rd down we need to harass the QB.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Who's to say what defensive player is going to impact the team the draft is a crapshoot JJ Watt was the 11th pick in 2011. Even if Elliott turns into a great back the Cowboys aren't going to get very far until they fix the defense. In 2014 we had the leagues leading rusher in Murray who broke a franchise rushing record and we couldn't get past the second round of the playoffs because of the defense. The addition of Morris is going to help the running game and most drafts are deep in RBs so we can draft one later. The smart move would be to trade down, pick up an extra #2 and roll the dice on the best pass rusher available.

You have Buckner and Lawson a couple of DEs rated in the top 12 that could impact this team. With Hardy done in Dallas and the jury still out on DLaw and with Gregory's future looking clouded from all the smoke from pot we need a formidable pass rusher to help improve the defense. DLaw's effectiveness will likely be reduced with Hardy gone he didn't have a single sack during the regular season his rookie year without Demarcus Ware having to be accounted for so it's imperative that we address the DE position high in the draft. To get turnovers and get our defense off the field on 3rd down we need to harass the QB.

all fair points....but like you said the draft is a crap shoot...we could make a small trade down and still get Elliott, which leaves the rest of the draft to look and find some defensive players....i mean that is an option also.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's hilarious to watch people talk about Elliott as if he's this transcendent player that will hoist a franchise on his back and take them to a SB. LOL.

And then they run for the hills when you confront them with how stupid it would be to pay more money for that guy than you would have for a top, proven NFL running back like Lamar Miller while giving up the #4 overall pick to do it.

Asinine.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
all fair points....but like you said the draft is a crap shoot...we could make a small trade down and still get Elliott, which leaves the rest of the draft to look and find some defensive players....i mean that is an option also.

As much as I've preached we have to improve the running game getting back to what we did in 2014 we desperately need defensive help. Picking in the top 5-10 gives us an opportunity to land an impact defensive player. Elliott could end up being a great back or he could end up being another Blair Thomas. We landed Emmitt with the 17th pick and found Murray in the 3rd round. Marion Barber was a 4th round pick so the Cowboys have had some luck finding backs later in the draft. I believe the pickup of Morris has the potential to be our best move in free agency in quite some time. I think he's a better runner than McFadden and the combination of the two could give us a pretty solid running game if we can add a short yardage back to help us move the chains on 3rd and short.

The Cowboys have had two excellent offensive teams in 2007 and 2014 get knocked out of the playoffs due to the defense primarily the lack of a consistent pass rush. If Elliott was being compared to Adrian Peterson I would be on board selecting him but with all the holes the Cowboys have on defense #4 overall is too high to take an RB. We had a solid RB who fit our team and Jerry allowed him to walk because he doesn't value RBs like he once did. Last season may have changed his view of the RB position but I'll be surprised if he takes a back with the 4th overall pick the way he's devalued the position.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Our DNA has always been, a strong running game, time of possession, mistake free, keep away football....we should go back to featuring the run, with some play action passes down the field....we need to get back to what has worked for this team, and quit trying to copy cat other teams. we have most of the pieces in place....except for our Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith....It's time to get the stud RB this franchise needs. Draft Elliott and lets get this thing rolling. It's not rocket science.

Yeap, run the damn ball, and a good rested defense will be running alL over the field.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bosa's my consolation prize if we can't get lucky or can't get a good trade worked out, but he's a pretty good consolation prize. He might not be an elite rusher, but he's the kind of guy who draws a lot of attention that's going to help everybody else out.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
It's hilarious to watch people talk about Elliott as if he's this transcendent player that will hoist a franchise on his back and take them to a SB. LOL.

Never mentioned SB. But yeah.

Better chance with him than any of the others.

Grab a DE and hope he gets six sacks as a rookie? Take a DT and hope he can disrupt a handful of plays? Pray we get a QB that will hopefully be ready by year two? Let's take a CB/S and hope they make an impact... what, 3 or 4 picks as a rookie? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O

Zeke is primed to start now and get perhaps double digit touchdowns, possibly over a 1000 yards and then some?

It's called instant over hopefully. :cool:

Last edited:

CowboyChris

Reaction score

Grab a DE and hope he gets six sacks as a rookie? Take a DT and hope he can disrupt a handful of plays? Pray we get a QB that will hopefully be ready by year two? Let's take a CB/S and hope they make an impact... what, 3 or 4 picks as a rookie? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O

Zeke is primed to start now and get perhaps double digit touchdowns, possibly over a 1000 yards and then some?

i agree with most of your points, except if we have a chance at Goff or Wentz at #4....given the status of our QB position, i just can't pass on that deal. but as for Elliott....he is in my opinion a superstar in this league, and if you pair that up with Dez....lookout

coult44

Reaction score
I'd say the Cowboy Way is great QB play. If we've got that, with this OL, we've got a running game. Let's fix the defense and add a mid-round RB and get back to where we're supposed to be that way.

We've had great QB play with Romo for how many years, with how many championships? We had great QB play from Danny White with how many championships? I agree with OP about formula, don't know about E2 at four. It won't bother me, but we need QB if Goff or Wentz is there. Like Ramsey and Jack too.

coult44

Reaction score
Inlo
Well put. Zeke would be an immediate impact/superstar. If Jerry, Stephen, Will, and Jason don't see that, then take your Ramsey, Bosa, or bum knee Jack and win a few more games.

If you want the homerun hitter, a guy that can catch and block as well, then get him at four. That's almost three positions for one pick, and guaranteed wins.

Kind of a no-brainer.

I have no argument about E2, but don't sleep on Jack. How many guys bounce back strong now from his injury? So many even on our team..

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Our DNA has always been, a strong running game, time of possession, mistake free, keep away football....we should go back to featuring the run, with some play action passes down the field....we need to get back to what has worked for this team, and quit trying to copy cat other teams. we have most of the pieces in place....except for our Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith....It's time to get the stud RB this franchise needs. Draft Elliott and lets get this thing rolling. It's not rocket science.

The 92 team had Woody come onto the scene as a dynamic new nickel cover guy as a converted LB; he went with first round pick corner Kevin Smith. We had acquired Tolbert, Maryland, Jones, Norton, and Casillas. The key was moving Jeffcoat to the bench by acquiring Haley.

We already now run the ball more than anyone else and at a high efficiency. We need to pass the ball better. Will Fuller helps this offense more than Zeke Elliott. Most overrated prospect since DeCastro on this board.

Sydla

Reaction score

The problem with your theory is this team isn't competing for a SB next year anyway even with Elliott. He's not good enough to carry this team to the SB.

perrykemp

Reaction score

Honestly, who cares what the DNA of the Cowboys was 21 years ago?

It has no more bearing on the modern Cowboys than the DNA of any whatever NFL team won the Superbowl 15, 10, 5 years or even last year.

There are lots of ways to win a Superbowl. I'll take ANY of them.