CFZ Do fans ever "hang their cleats up"?

Toro9

Reaction score
Rarely, if they're seriously invested. I think it's usually sentimental.

For me, I faintly remember visiting my grandparents in Texarkana, Cowboys playing playoff games and super bowls. I was only 7 their first SB but I remember the atmosphere just with the 10 or so family members we had around. Good stuff.

Then in 2001, I was a bit of pothead but I caredl enough to go to a game with my brother. It was Thanksgiving and we lost against Brian Griese and the Broncos but it was a decent game and it was a memory I'll never forget. My brother died 15 years later at 38 but we always had the Cowboys to tie us back together when we drifted, especially in his last year.

Cowboys for life.

75boyz

Reaction score
My season starts at the opening game coin toss and all the hope ends when I see Prescott take the field.
Priceless!
Although my soda came through my nose reading this.

But thank you anyways buddy.
For real.
I share your pain.
And misery loves company, lol

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
I'm a Cowboys fan who happens to like many of the offseason moves the Cowboys have made this year. Missed out some players I would have to have seen drafted, but other than that, I don't really have much to complain about.

At the same time, I have my doubts about whether the Cowboys have done enough to catch up to the Eagles. The Eagles have been fortunate the past couple of seasons by getting rid of Carson Wentz and finding a sucker team to suck draft capital out of while scoring on their own QB in the 2nd round. So I'm not personally mad at the Eagles for being successful, just bad timing for the Cowboys.

Long story short, I'm optimistic that the Cowboys can get to at least the NFC championship, yet would not be surprised if we don't. I don't really know what the odds are for getting past the Eagles or getting deep into the playoffs or Super Bowl. I just know I am getting close to the end of my ropes. I don't think I can recover from another playoff heartbreak. And yes I felt the same way during the end of the Tom Landry era and hopped right back in when the early 90s Cowboys broke the playoff futility streak and won a few SBs.

But you get to a certain age in life and you can no longer justify being miserable on Sundays or miserable each January. Feeling like you should have spent your Sundays doing more important things. That's kind of where I'm at.

Just curious if other fans relate to that feeling.
100% relate to your feelings.
As long as Jerruh and his clone, stephen, are in control, I will care a little less each season.
Probably time for me to just walk away.
I will never cheer for a different team.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I apologize having to suggest owning up with respect for the current Cowboys, but stereotyping nay sayers don't meet the litmus test for the current Cowboys.

Let's just check on where the money changes hands for trust in this team's performance and talent:

(viewed through the unbiased eyes of the media)

Here were the five most-watched NFL regular-season games in 2022, excluding Thanksgiving:
1. Cowboys-Packers, Week 10 (29.2 million viewers on Fox)
2. Eagles-Cowboys, Week 16 (27.8 million viewers on Fox)
3. Cowboys-Vikings, Week 11 (27.7 million viewers on CBS)
4. Cowboys-Bengals, Week 2 (27.4 million viewers on CBS)
5. Packers-Buccaneers, Week 3 (26.4 million viewers on Fox)
All five of these games took place in the afternoon window (4:25pm ET kickoff) and as you can see the Cowboys are extremely well-represented. Given this information and that FOX had one Cowboys/Eagles game already in the bag, it makes total sense for them to have wanted the Bills game as another opportunity to ride the wave.

Putting all of this together it makes that the Cowboys are in afternoon windows eight times this season no surprise at all, six of which are on FOX specifically.

It pays to be in touch with the Dallas Cowboys. America’s Team. For now. For always.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ted-cowboys-bills-game-massive-rating-numbers

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is the true land mind and if the above doesn't follow as direction, then the land slide is left with:

The Cowboys have two grueling four-game stretches — the first of which includes the Seattle Seahawks and Eagles at home, followed by the Buffalo Bills and the Miami Dolphins on the road. The second stretch starts on the road against the San Francisco 49ers and the Los Angeles Chargers before a bye, then picks back up with a home game against the Los Angeles Rams and a road game against the Eagles.

"When looking at the Cowboys, they had the easiest schedule last year, and how'd that work out? They didn't get hardened, and when they got to the playoffs, they were one and done. You have to be seasoned."

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/n...t-road-to-the-nfc-east-title-dallas-or-philly

CCBoy

Reaction score
On a back burner, is following this on up:

"This defense, the way we've got it structured, a key player with that much lead, that much base, that much strength, that much disruption just from that standpoint as opposed to, let's say, the number of sacks he gets -- that kind of thinking you wouldn't have seen ... from us 10 years ago, nine years ago," Jones said. "But this isn't something we thought of on the draft board tonight. It's something that has been in the making for frankly a couple years.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36309575/cowboy-select-mazi-smith-no-26-pick-nfl-draft

This was the after season analysis behind this ... In McCarthy's three years as Cowboys coach, the Cowboys have ranked 23rd, 19th and 20th in run defense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36309575/cowboy-select-mazi-smith-no-26-pick-nfl-draft

jnday

Reaction score
With age and season after season of failure , I find myself caring less and less. I no longer get upset at Jerry’s circus. I have grown used to it. The days of getting upset about the Cowboys losing are over for me.