CFZ Do fans ever "hang their cleats up"?

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Keep drinking the Jonesboys Kool Aid. No it is not hard to have consistent winning.

Those football teams that I named got their winning formula by the simple thing Tex Schramm said years ago on the Dallas Cowboys success/Dynasty of winning... "stability at QB, Stability at Head Coach, and stability at ownership (management)". Football is not rocket science. Jerry Dumbo GM Jones fired a BACK TO BACK Super Bowl Winning Head Coach not years after the winning stopped like Tex should have done when stability at ownership was in jeopardy (see the BUM Bright). He fired Johnson 2 months after winning back to back Super Bowls, when the team was at the rise of what should have been a 20 year dynasty. Poof goes your stability at Head Coach. He fired Gil Brandt, Bob Ackles, and ran off John Wooten VP of Pro Personnel Director of Pro Personnel (since the 1975 Dirty Dozen Draft) and gives himself full dysfunctional owner/GM control. Poof goes your stability ownership/management. Aikman was gone and poof goes stability at QB.

Also, I did not name the Chiefs? They had stability at ownership but not QB, and not Head Coach. Now they do. 3 Super Bowls and 2 Super Bowl wins with same last name at Owner, same Head Coach, and same QB. Not dysfunctional ownership management like Jerry Jones as GM, Owner, and Defacto Head Coach. The Walrus has been the HC for the Cheifs since 2013 and Mahomes as only been in KC since 2017/2018 starting QB.

Get real. Jerry Dumbo GM Jones had fired or ran off 3 HALL OF FAME SUPER BOWL WINNING HEAD COACHES!!!!!!!! No Owner in the History of Team Sports has done that to my knowledge.

Like I said I hung up being the type of Dallas Cowboys fan I was on 3-28-1994. Because the real Dallas Cowboys ceased to exist. No Stability at QB, no stability at Head Coach, and no stability at ownership (unstable and dysfunctional owner/GM/HC same person).
No other team in the superbowl era has had a run like Dallas had going to conference championship games. Back in the early to mid 70's only the 3 division winners plus a WC team made the playoffs, therefore only one win got you to the conference championship game. I still contend that the salary cap has and will keep teams from going on another run like that.

Yes, Jerry fired Jimmy. Jimmy had one foot out the door anyway, flirting with Jax to become their first head coach. I truly believe he antagonized Jerry to the point were he would fire him and he could come off looking like the good guy. Both men have enormous egos and are both to blame for what happened. Don't act like Jimmy was some innocent choirboy in all of that.

The chiefs have been under the same family ownership since their inception. They couldn't win anything with Schottenheimer as HC, despite having some really good teams and somebody named Montana at QB. They couldn't win with superbowl winning coachDick Vermiel. They couldn't win with Andy Reid and a very good QB in Alex Smith. It took them until they found an all time great QB before they got over the hump.

Other than the the 5+ season after Aikman retired, I'd argue that the Cowboys have had the most stability at QB in the superbowl era. Meredith-Staubach-White-Aikman-Romo-Dak. That's 6 QB's that have started over 100 games for Dallas.
Now, Jerry certainly has made some really dumb moves as GM, moves that would have gotten other GM's fired. He obviously deserves the bulk of the blame/criticism for the lack of playoff success since 1995. But I don't blame Jerry for Patrick Crayton dropping a pass that likely would have been a huge gain/TD that would have beaten the Giants. I don't blame him for Romo dropping the snap against Seattle. I don't blame him for the Dez no catch or Murray fumble against GB. I don't blame him for Rogers making a miracle throw to set up a game winning FG. I don't blame him from Jaylon and VanderEsch looking like complete garbage against the Rams run game. I don't blame him for Dak's INT's against SF.

I do blame him for subjecting fans to Dave Campo, Chan Gailey, Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett. I do blame him for brining in Greg Hardy, drafting Taco Charlton and Trysten Hill, etc. But by and large the Cowboys have been a good team for the last 15 years that just hasn't gotten over the hump. And not all the blame falls on "Jerry Dumbo GM Jones".

CWR

Reaction score
Only the pansies. Real fans go hard until this very team causes them a heart attack/stroke, and gives them a premature death.

That's my plan at least.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Losses don't affect me like they use to when I was younger, and I'm only 31 lol, but I stopped taking losses bad when the team quit on wade in 2010. It sucks when they lose, but I get over it real quick now, when I was in . middle and high school, I use to not want nobody to bother me when they lost lol
Poor guy. You missed all of the glory days. But I have to say you are real fan because you've only experienced the bottom of the barrel for Dallas.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm a Cowboys fan who happens to like many of the offseason moves the Cowboys have made this year. Missed out some players I would have to have seen drafted, but other than that, I don't really have much to complain about.

At the same time, I have my doubts about whether the Cowboys have done enough to catch up to the Eagles. The Eagles have been fortunate the past couple of seasons by getting rid of Carson Wentz and finding a sucker team to suck draft capital out of while scoring on their own QB in the 2nd round. So I'm not personally mad at the Eagles for being successful, just bad timing for the Cowboys.

Long story short, I'm optimistic that the Cowboys can get to at least the NFC championship, yet would not be surprised if we don't. I don't really know what the odds are for getting past the Eagles or getting deep into the playoffs or Super Bowl. I just know I am getting close to the end of my ropes. I don't think I can recover from another playoff heartbreak. And yes I felt the same way during the end of the Tom Landry era and hopped right back in when the early 90s Cowboys broke the playoff futility streak and won a few SBs.

But you get to a certain age in life and you can no longer justify being miserable on Sundays or miserable each January. Feeling like you should have spent your Sundays doing more important things. That's kind of where I'm at.

Just curious if other fans relate to that feeling.
For me it’s about adjusting or lowering expectations. I don’t have to be optimistic we are going to win to enjoy watching the games .

I’ve followed my Alma Mater for almost 50 years and they have been a Dormant school most of the time . It’s just takes a different mindset following a non championship caliber school or franchise .

The Cowboys had some glory early and often back in the day but this isn’t the same class run organization we grew up with. But they are my local team so I’ll always follow and root them on regardless how apathetic I become. It’s all part of being a Diehard fan.

Creeper

Reaction score
Good question. I used to be an avid NY Yankees fan. I mean the kind of fan that listened to the radio and kept score along with the game if they weren't on TV. I knew all the players, batting averages and other stats, pitching rotation, top prospects in the minor leagues, who they drafted, who they signed, I was an in the weeds Yankees fan since I was a very young kid. I was an Andy Carey fan in the 50s a Roger Maris fan in the 60s. Get the picture? I played 3rd base in little league because Andy Carey played 3rd base. I took #8 for Yogi Berra because it was the only Yankees player number available to me when unis were handed out.

Today, I could not name a player on the team except Aaron Judge for obvious reasons. I do not follow baseball at all now, not even the world series. I guess you can say I hung up my cleats a long time ago. Why? Barry Bonds's head size for one thing. The entire era of steroids made a mockery of the game I loved since I was a kid. It wasn't just that these players were cheating, it was the spectacle MLB made out of their exploits despite all the suspicions they were cheating. The Mark McGuire/Roger Maris thing was particularly nauseating. There were other factors as well. Baseball games became long and boring. Batters stepping in and out of the box 25 times, adjusting their gloves. Pitchers taking forever to throw a pitch. A lot of the fun and strategy was taken out of the game, things pitchers throwing inside on hitters. Bob Gibson would have quit the league if they imposed some of these rules on him. What a loss that would have been for baseball. Sorry I pitched in High School and I was taught to come inside on certain batters. I was taught to throw at batters if we suspected a squeeze play was on.

I have asked myself if I could give up on football the same way. I think the answer is yes, in conditions get worse. Some of the nonsense they did in baseball they are doing in football. The games are too long, there are too many commercial breaks, and it has gotten too expensive. We support this sport with our attention and money and what have WE gotten for it? Games in Europe and Asia? NFL Sunday Ticket for $350? The NF looks at us like a giant piggy bank. That is their prerogative. I have loved the Cowboys since the late 1960s but I think everyone has limits to what they will tolerate. I think if the NFL is not careful they will lose a lot of fans. Baseball lost popularity for a long time. It is coming back a little now but it has taken a long time and a new generation of fans. I think football can lose fans the same way if they do not provide a product fans love to watch.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
No other team in the superbowl era has had a run like Dallas had going to conference championship games. Back in the early to mid 70's only the 3 division winners plus a WC team made the playoffs, therefore only one win got you to the conference championship game. I still contend that the salary cap has and will keep teams from going on another run like that.

Yes, Jerry fired Jimmy. Jimmy had one foot out the door anyway, flirting with Jax to become their first head coach. I truly believe he antagonized Jerry to the point were he would fire him and he could come off looking like the good guy. Both men have enormous egos and are both to blame for what happened. Don't act like Jimmy was some innocent choirboy in all of that.

The chiefs have been under the same family ownership since their inception. They couldn't win anything with Schottenheimer as HC, despite having some really good teams and somebody named Montana at QB. They couldn't win with superbowl winning coachDick Vermiel. They couldn't win with Andy Reid and a very good QB in Alex Smith. It took them until they found an all time great QB before they got over the hump.

Other than the the 5+ season after Aikman retired, I'd argue that the Cowboys have had the most stability at QB in the superbowl era. Meredith-Staubach-White-Aikman-Romo-Dak. That's 6 QB's that have started over 100 games for Dallas.
Now, Jerry certainly has made some really dumb moves as GM, moves that would have gotten other GM's fired. He obviously deserves the bulk of the blame/criticism for the lack of playoff success since 1995. But I don't blame Jerry for Patrick Crayton dropping a pass that likely would have been a huge gain/TD that would have beaten the Giants. I don't blame him for Romo dropping the snap against Seattle. I don't blame him for the Dez no catch or Murray fumble against GB. I don't blame him for Rogers making a miracle throw to set up a game winning FG. I don't blame him from Jaylon and VanderEsch looking like complete garbage against the Rams run game. I don't blame him for Dak's INT's against SF.

I do blame him for subjecting fans to Dave Campo, Chan Gailey, Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett. I do blame him for brining in Greg Hardy, drafting Taco Charlton and Trysten Hill, etc. But by and large the Cowboys have been a good team for the last 15 years that just hasn't gotten over the hump. And not all the blame falls on "Jerry Dumbo GM Jones".
You and many fans are just drunk on the Jonesboys Kool Aid thinking that you are really watching Jerry Jones trying to Win Super Bowls. 27 years is not helping your case. Jonesboys fans just give Excuses Excuses Excuses.

Well I blame Jackie Smith for dropping a football thrown in his chest when he is suppose to be a Hall of Fame TE because I am a true Dallas Cowboys fan. He did not play for the Cowboys after that Super Bowl drop. He did not stay on with the Cowboys as a receiver coach like Ditka (HOF TE that caught a TD in a Cowboys Super Bowl). My standards are high because the Dallas Cowboys standards were high. You know how the Real Dallas Cowboys went to all those Conference Championship games? Because the goal every year was not to make the playoffs or get the the Conference Championship game. It was to go to the Super Bowl. Like Jimmy Johnson said..."we're going to make the playoffs". That is true Dallas Cowboys leadership, standard, and the Cowboys way.

In regard to KC (which again was not my example), I guess you never heard of Hank Stram, Len Dawson, and Willie Lanier. To show how much of that Jonesboys juice is in you, Drew Pearson during his draft pick announcement 2 weeks ago acknowledge the great Otis Taylor. You don't remember Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas. The only lull in KC history was the 1974-1985. Again, what has Jerry Dumbo GM Jones and the Arlington Jonesboys giving you in 27 years? It ain't Dallas Cowboys football. The Dumbo GM just drafted the first DT in the 1st round since 1991. The first draft pick ever by the Dallas Cowboys was a DT. You win football games starting in the trenches with Defense (Lilly, Jones, White, Jeffcoat, Maryland).

I have two things to say to Arlington Jonesboys and Jonesboys fans...

To critics criticizing me about the Arlington Jonesboys and Jonesboys fans...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Good question. I used to be an avid NY Yankees fan. I mean the kind of fan that listened to the radio and kept score along with the game if they weren't on TV. I knew all the players, batting averages and other stats, pitching rotation, top prospects in the minor leagues, who they drafted, who they signed, I was an in the weeds Yankees fan since I was a very young kid. I was an Andy Carey fan in the 50s a Roger Maris fan in the 60s. Get the picture? I played 3rd base in little league because Andy Carey played 3rd base. I took #8 for Yogi Berra because it was the only Yankees player number available to me when unis were handed out.

Today, I could not name a player on the team except Aaron Judge for obvious reasons. I do not follow baseball at all now, not even the world series. I guess you can say I hung up my cleats a long time ago. Why? Barry Bonds's head size for one thing. The entire era of steroids made a mockery of the game I loved since I was a kid. It wasn't just that these players were cheating, it was the spectacle MLB made out of their exploits despite all the suspicions they were cheating. The Mark McGuire/Roger Maris thing was particularly nauseating. There were other factors as well. Baseball games became long and boring. Batters stepping in and out of the box 25 times, adjusting their gloves. Pitchers taking forever to throw a pitch. A lot of the fun and strategy was taken out of the game, things pitchers throwing inside on hitters. Bob Gibson would have quit the league if they imposed some of these rules on him. What a loss that would have been for baseball. Sorry I pitched in High School and I was taught to come inside on certain batters. I was taught to throw at batters if we suspected a squeeze play was on.

I have asked myself if I could give up on football the same way. I think the answer is yes, in conditions get worse. Some of the nonsense they did in baseball they are doing in football. The games are too long, there are too many commercial breaks, and it has gotten too expensive. We support this sport with our attention and money and what have WE gotten for it? Games in Europe and Asia? NFL Sunday Ticket for $350? The NF looks at us like a giant piggy bank. That is their prerogative. I have loved the Cowboys since the late 1960s but I think everyone has limits to what they will tolerate. I think if the NFL is not careful they will lose a lot of fans. Baseball lost popularity for a long time. It is coming back a little now but it has taken a long time and a new generation of fans. I think football can lose fans the same way if they do not provide a product fans love to watch.
Your issue isn’t necessarily with disgust or losing interest in your favorite team . It’s with the entire league or sport. I think that’s a separate issue although in the end it is still hanging up the cleats .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Poor guy. You missed all of the glory days. But I have to say you are real fan because you've only experienced the bottom of the barrel for Dallas.
This is a great point . Fans who didn’t grow up in our championship glory eras only have this era to use as their basis.

I see it in the youth in our family who haven’t seen a Cowboys championship yet still carry the fan torch . It reminds me of when I was a kid in the 60’s before we had a winning season.

And it’s really what fandom is all about following your local team or one you grew up with. Winning championships shouldn’t define who you are as a fan but merely gravy.

Years ago when I was a season ticket holder and attended road games as well with the Dallas Cowboys Travel Club I became acquainted not only with Cowboy fans from around the country but some great opposing fans as well. Fans of Dormant teams like in Detroit for example are some of the greatest fans . That is the definition of Diehard.

Creeper

Reaction score
Your issue isn’t necessarily with disgust or losing interest in your favorite team . It’s with the entire league or sport. I think that’s a separate issue although in the end it is still hanging up the cleats .
The only way I would hang up my cleats on Dallas would be if I dropped the NFL out of my life entirely. There is no way I could see myself laving Dallas as a fan and yet still being interested in football.

Big_D

Reaction score

162 games every night of the week through the best part of the year. I hung up my baseball cleats 2 decades ago and it was the best move ever. Haven't watched a single pitch. Don't care at all. Football once a week is a different story. Although I was ready to hang up the cleats if Garrett was kept in 2020. That would've definitely been the straw.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Diehard fans don’t hang up their cleats. They may become frustrated, emotionally depleted , even becoming apathetic but in general it’s casual fans who are more likely to waver or wander often hopping on and off if their team isn’t having success.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Yea, I didn't become a die hard fan until the 2005 season, I think I was in 7th grade at the time

mrmojo

Reaction score
162 games every night of the week through the best part of the year. I hung up my baseball cleats 2 decades ago and it was the best move ever. Haven't watched a single pitch. Don't care at all. Football once a week is a different story. Although I was ready to hang up the cleats if Garrett was kept in 2020. That would've definitely been the straw.
Agree, I couldnt tell you who won the World Series in the last 10 years, same goes for the NBA, but since 1970 the Cowboys have always been my #1 team in any sport, so that will last till I die.

Big_D

Reaction score
Agree, I couldnt tell you who won the World Series in the last 10 years, same goes for the NBA, but since 1970 the Cowboys have always been my #1 team in any sport, so that will last till I die.

I like playoff hockey and a college football game here and there, that's about it as far as watching other sports. It's strictly just Cowboys football.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
"Hanging up your cleats"...or .might be better thought as hanging up the jockstrap.. You could use it as a bird feeder as well. :muttley:

but, anywhoo...i was a Cowboys fan way before this goober came along and he ain't gonna take that from me just because he has control of the team right now Although after 27 years, he certainly is making it challenging.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I'm a Cowboys fan who happens to like many of the offseason moves the Cowboys have made this year. Missed out some players I would have to have seen drafted, but other than that, I don't really have much to complain about.

At the same time, I have my doubts about whether the Cowboys have done enough to catch up to the Eagles. The Eagles have been fortunate the past couple of seasons by getting rid of Carson Wentz and finding a sucker team to suck draft capital out of while scoring on their own QB in the 2nd round. So I'm not personally mad at the Eagles for being successful, just bad timing for the Cowboys.

Long story short, I'm optimistic that the Cowboys can get to at least the NFC championship, yet would not be surprised if we don't. I don't really know what the odds are for getting past the Eagles or getting deep into the playoffs or Super Bowl. I just know I am getting close to the end of my ropes. I don't think I can recover from another playoff heartbreak. And yes I felt the same way during the end of the Tom Landry era and hopped right back in when the early 90s Cowboys broke the playoff futility streak and won a few SBs.

But you get to a certain age in life and you can no longer justify being miserable on Sundays or miserable each January. Feeling like you should have spent your Sundays doing more important things. That's kind of where I'm at.

Just curious if other fans relate to that feeling.
Bye

T-RO

Reaction score
Fans of Dormant teams like in Detroit for example are some of the greatest fans
I sure validate that claim. The Lions have become one of my "football girlfriends" and I've spent no small amount of time on a Lions chat forum the past few months.

They haven't won a single playoff game in 31 years. But they are a smart and passionate bunch. It's been fun to hang with them a bit.

T-RO

Reaction score
You say, "Yes", I say, "No"
You say, "Stop" and I say, "Go, go, go"
Oh, no!​
You say, "Goodbye" and I say, "Hello, hello, hello"
I don't know why you say, "Goodbye", I say, "Hello, hello, hello"
I don't know why you say, "Goodbye", I say, "Hello"​

-McCarthy/Lennon