CFZ Do fans ever "hang their cleats up"?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'm a Cowboys fan who happens to like many of the offseason moves the Cowboys have made this year. Missed out some players I would have to have seen drafted, but other than that, I don't really have much to complain about.

At the same time, I have my doubts about whether the Cowboys have done enough to catch up to the Eagles. The Eagles have been fortunate the past couple of seasons by getting rid of Carson Wentz and finding a sucker team to suck draft capital out of while scoring on their own QB in the 2nd round. So I'm not personally mad at the Eagles for being successful, just bad timing for the Cowboys.

Long story short, I'm optimistic that the Cowboys can get to at least the NFC championship, yet would not be surprised if we don't. I don't really know what the odds are for getting past the Eagles or getting deep into the playoffs or Super Bowl. I just know I am getting close to the end of my ropes. I don't think I can recover from another playoff heartbreak. And yes I felt the same way during the end of the Tom Landry era and hopped right back in when the early 90s Cowboys broke the playoff futility streak and won a few SBs.

But you get to a certain age in life and you can no longer justify being miserable on Sundays or miserable each January. Feeling like you should have spent your Sundays doing more important things. That's kind of where I'm at.

Just curious if other fans relate to that feeling.
Oh, I can surely relate, though I'm not quite feel as you do on Sundays. I'm still interested in the team, just don't have any expectations, either to win or to lose. But I still am interested in watching the game before most anything else...

JayFord

Reaction score
I dont mind fans hanging it up or even being critical

i mind fans being willfully ignorant and making outlandish negative statements about Dallas

when you tell me the offense sucked last year (thats dumb)

when you tell me to trade micah (thats outlandish)

when you tell me Diggs is trash because he whiffed on a tackle or he gives up too many touchdowns (thats just nonsense)

when you scream Dan Quinn Needs to be fired (go look at Mike Nolan, then slap yourself)

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Interesting. The only time I ever quit on a team was never because they were bad, but because the game changed to a point that I can no longer watch. For example, I was a life long Yankees fan. I no longer like the sport, nor do I watch the sport. I may have to try to watch some games with the new rules.

If I ever stop watching the Cowboys, it won't be because they're losing. It will be because the game is getting soft and 5 million commercials.

But I want to touch on heartbreak losses in the playoffs for a second. I can't speak for you, but besides super bowl losses, the only playoff heartbreaks I suffered were in this order. 2016, 2014, 2007, 1994, 1982, 1981, 1980, 1979, 1976. Those were all of the years I had hoped for more. Those losses bothered me. I'm not going to be heartbroken over a team I thought had little chance at going anywhere. If they win by some miracle, fantastic. But I'm not going to get heartbroken over a playoff loss that I fully expected. That's just me. But I will admit, any Championship game loss is a heartbreaker. Because you're just one game away.
I hear you. I have lost interest in the NBA, was a big Celtics and Spurs fan, the Celtics back in the Bird/McHale/Parish days and the Spurs way back in the James Silas/George Gervin days.

But the game has evolved (devolved for me) with the "Euro step", the politics, the players picking their own teammates, the lack of passing in the games and the massive contracts for even so-so players (again for me). It's not basketball anymore.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

i mind fans being willfully ignorant and making outlandish negative statements about Dallas

when you tell me Diggs is trash because he whiffed on a tackle or he gives up too many touchdowns (thats just nonsense)

when you scream Dan Quinn Needs to be fired (go look at Mike Nolan, then slap yourself)
Don't forget taking any post about any subject and commenting about Dak (usually negatively) ....

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
In the 60's it was the Packers, In the 70's it was the Steelers,80's 49ers, Cowboys ran the 90's 2000's Patriots. Point is the Cowboys never were the Cream of the crop as far as the league is concerned.

Now as far as I am concerned, they are always was and always will be The Class of the NFL. Even in the 1-15 year !!!!!!

People want to be front runners, and they can't stand it when they are not #1. I get it, I just don't look at football, or lie that way

Like Poppy used to say, "somedays you eat The Bear, somedays the Bear eats you"! OR Huntin ain't fun, when the rabbit has the Gun !

To loose my ish just because my team hasn't won a championship ? NAH ! I'm built a little sturdier than that!

JayFord

Reaction score
In the 60's it was the Packers, In the 70's it was the Steelers,80's 49ers, Cowboys ran the 90's 2000's Patriots. Point is the Cowboys never were the Cream of the crop as far as the league is concerned.

Now as far as I am concerned, they are always was and always will be The Class of the NFL. Even in the 1-15 year !!!!!!

People want to be front runners, and they can't stand it when they are not #1. I get it, I just don't look at football, or lie that way

Like Poppy used to say, "somedays you eat The Bear, somedays the Bear eats you"! OR Huntin ain't fun, when the rabbit has the Gun !

To loose my ish just because my team hasn't won a championship ? NAH ! I'm built a little sturdier than that!
Im a Cowboys, Orioles, Knicks, University of Maryland (all sports) Capitals, and Defenders fan

Atleast the caps got one in 2018 and the defenders can get one sunday but the rest?

its been a ROUGH 25+ years

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
I'm a Knicks Fan , so I know about championship Droughts, but every year I'm back rooting like its 71 all over again. Ewing, Reed, De Bucsher, Dollar Bill Bradley,Sugar Ray Richardson, Clyde, Earl The Pearl

Starks, Mello. Now It's Brunson and Randle, I still love the Knicks, always will. Like the Cowboys, I'll always love football, i'll always love the Cowboys

Ain't been a rough 25 years for me. I'm blessed. I have seen some of the most famous athletes the world has produced perform.
Im a Cowboys, Orioles, Knicks, University of Maryland (all sports) Capitals, and Defenders fan

Atleast the caps got one in 2018 and the defenders can get one sunday but the rest?

its been a ROUGH 25+ years

Motorola

Reaction score

JayFord - any "fans" that put forth those posts here in CZ are just trolls that are not Cowboys Fans.
Although they have access to create threads and post comments - its behooves us all to ignore them by not responding.
It's hard to do sometimes...but make the effort to do so.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
The Pariots of the last 20 years would disagree.
They have been really good for a long time and are definitely an outlier. But I feel pretty confident in my opinion, so I'll still stick with my comment that the salary cap era virtually eliminates the dominate teams of the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's. Parity is the new norm, but one can dream I guess.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm a Cowboys fan who happens to like many of the offseason moves the Cowboys have made this year. Missed out some players I would have to have seen drafted, but other than that, I don't really have much to complain about.

At the same time, I have my doubts about whether the Cowboys have done enough to catch up to the Eagles. The Eagles have been fortunate the past couple of seasons by getting rid of Carson Wentz and finding a sucker team to suck draft capital out of while scoring on their own QB in the 2nd round. So I'm not personally mad at the Eagles for being successful, just bad timing for the Cowboys.

Long story short, I'm optimistic that the Cowboys can get to at least the NFC championship, yet would not be surprised if we don't. I don't really know what the odds are for getting past the Eagles or getting deep into the playoffs or Super Bowl. I just know I am getting close to the end of my ropes. I don't think I can recover from another playoff heartbreak. And yes I felt the same way during the end of the Tom Landry era and hopped right back in when the early 90s Cowboys broke the playoff futility streak and won a few SBs.

But you get to a certain age in life and you can no longer justify being miserable on Sundays or miserable each January. Feeling like you should have spent your Sundays doing more important things. That's kind of where I'm at.

Just curious if other fans relate to that feeling.
Not real fans.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I hung my cleats up during the Garrett era, but I took them off the wall again once we got an actual, competent NFL coach who isn't an insufferable phony d-bag.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good for you. Good place to be.
Sounds like you're overcoming your addiction to the dopamine hits of the trivial and unproductive. Here's hoping you escape. The world will be a better place.

Sportsball is the opiate of the masses.
Along with social media.
Serotonin Surge every Sunday. :muttley:

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven’t been upset by a loss in over 20+ years. A lot of it is related to knowing we don’t have a QB to win it all and we haven’t, and still don’t have a QB to win it all so I don’t sweat it. I get 5 million more times upset when my fantasy football team loses.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
it was an unreasonable expectation for this organization to continue with that NFCCG streak. The salary cap has made that a near impossibility. Teams in every sport have had dominant stretches and then have struggled to get back to that level. Look at the Chiefs. Took 50 years for them to finally win a 2nd superbowl. The vikings went to 4 superbowls in the 70's and haven't been a threat to get back since (other than a season or two in there). The Packers stunk in the 70's and 80's. Patriots have been awful for the majority of their existence.

In baseball, the A's, Reds and Pirates were three of the best teams in baseball in 70's. Now look at those franchises. Basketball, the bulls were terrible until Jordan arrived. Then went back to being nearly being unwatchable after he left. The lakers and Celtics are really the only two teams in that league that have been good in nearly every decade.
Keep drinking the Jonesboys Kool Aid. No it is not hard to have consistent winning.

Those football teams that I named got their winning formula by the simple thing Tex Schramm said years ago on the Dallas Cowboys success/Dynasty of winning... "stability at QB, Stability at Head Coach, and stability at ownership (management)". Football is not rocket science. Jerry Dumbo GM Jones fired a BACK TO BACK Super Bowl Winning Head Coach not years after the winning stopped like Tex should have done when stability at ownership was in jeopardy (see the BUM Bright). He fired Johnson 2 months after winning back to back Super Bowls, when the team was at the rise of what should have been a 20 year dynasty. Poof goes your stability at Head Coach. He fired Gil Brandt, Bob Ackles, and ran off John Wooten VP of Pro Personnel Director of Pro Personnel (since the 1975 Dirty Dozen Draft) and gives himself full dysfunctional owner/GM control. Poof goes your stability ownership/management. Aikman was gone and poof goes stability at QB.

Also, I did not name the Chiefs? They had stability at ownership but not QB, and not Head Coach. Now they do. 3 Super Bowls and 2 Super Bowl wins with same last name at Owner, same Head Coach, and same QB. Not dysfunctional ownership management like Jerry Jones as GM, Owner, and Defacto Head Coach. The Walrus has been the HC for the Cheifs since 2013 and Mahomes as only been in KC since 2017/2018 starting QB.

Get real. Jerry Dumbo GM Jones had fired or ran off 3 HALL OF FAME SUPER BOWL WINNING HEAD COACHES!!!!!!!! No Owner in the History of Team Sports has done that to my knowledge.

Like I said I hung up being the type of Dallas Cowboys fan I was on 3-28-1994. Because the real Dallas Cowboys ceased to exist. No Stability at QB, no stability at Head Coach, and no stability at ownership (unstable and dysfunctional owner/GM/HC same person).