Do most of you see us as a playoff team?

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
If Bill Parcells can lead a team as devoid of talent as the 2003-2004 Dallas Cowboys to the playoffs he can sure as hell lead the 2005-2006 Dallas Cowboys to the playoffs.

So yes, I believe we have the talent to make it to the playoffs.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I liked our draft..very much.

But so many people have already annointed these kids as the saviors, without them so much as setting a foot on an NFL field.

We made some great picks in what was generally considered a below average draft. So, while I am optimistic, the chances of even a high draft pick (first few rounds) making it are 50-50. I've already seen people talking about Ware, Spears, Burnett, Canty...Folks, I'd LOVE to see them all pan out. The chances are better than not that they won't.

We are razor thin at WR. And the QB is serviceable at best. I was never a big Jason Ferguson fan.

On the plus side of the ledger, Julius; Witten; Roy in his natural position; a healthy Newman; Rivera and Allen as a guard tandem; and yes, the potential of the rookies.

I'd be happy with a VERY competitive team. We have enough talent to be that. With a few breaks, a few of the young guys panning out, and Bledsoe not being a train wreck at QB, we have a playoff shot.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
No way in H#ll. Actually, since we are in the NFC, we might have a snowball's chance in H#ll.

StarMan2112

Reaction score
I think we're a borderline playoff team. No question we are more talented on both sides of the ball than we've been in years. But there are still question marks. We'll win at least 8 games, but if everything breaks right we could win 10.

The switch to the 3-4 worries me. Zimmer has never coached it and I'm still not sure we have all the personnel we need to run it. I still think we'll end up playing more 4-3 than 3-4.

Bizwah

Reaction score
We're in the same boat as 28 other NFL teams. We're by no means elite, but given the right set of circumstances we could wind up in the playoffs.

Look no further than 2003. I predicted we'd go 5-11 that year. Boy, was I wrong? Why did we do well that year? Circumstances just came together.

We're better this year than we were in 2003.....better than last year definitely. But we could wind up with a 4-12 record depending on injuries, development of other teams, development of players on our team, etc.

On the other hand, we could wind up 12-4 if Manning doesn't develop quickly, if McNabb and TO both get injured, if the NFC West stinks as bad as they look.

Right now, we're an average team. That's the NFL today. I believe most teams are 8-8 teams. What separates teams now is coaching and injuries to your team and your rivals' teams.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Bizwah said:
We're in the same boat as 28 other NFL teams. We're by no means elite, but given the right set of circumstances we could wind up in the playoffs.

Look no further than 2003. I predicted we'd go 5-11 that year. Boy, was I wrong? Why did we do well that year? Circumstances just came together.

We're better this year than we were in 2003.....better than last year definitely. But we could wind up with a 4-12 record depending on injuries, development of other teams, development of players on our team, etc.

On the other hand, we could wind up 12-4 if Manning doesn't develop quickly, if McNabb and TO both get injured, if the NFC West stinks as bad as they look.

Right now, we're an average team. That's the NFL today. I believe most teams are 8-8 teams. What separates teams now is coaching and injuries to your team and your rivals' teams.

So you are conceeding that the Cowboys can only go 12-4 IF Eli is slow to develope and only IF T.O. and McNabb are both injured? Your logic is a little flawed in my opinion.

Now I am not saying the Cowboys are going 12-4 by any means. In fact, highly unlikely. But the Cowboys are a much improved team from 2003 & 2004... if only on paper.

And also, it is likely the Cowboys CAN make the playoffs if Eli plays well and if T.O. and Owens are on the field at the same time.

notherbob

Reaction score
I think the Boys have a good chance at a playoff spot this year, but it's all going to come down to injuries and breaks. It may take them half a season to come together and start playing well. Parcells is going to be giving it his best and I think these players will, too.

This team is very much improved over last year due to a good off-season, but it's all going to come down to Parcells and the decisions he makes and the Grim Reaper. This is a good team coming together and they're going to play well together.

I think Parcells senses opportunity in the form of Philly slipping and NE being re-staffed and wants to be in a position to win if either of them falters.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Fletch said:
So you are conceeding that the Cowboys can only go 12-4 IF Eli is slow to develope and only IF T.O. and McNabb are both injured? Your logic is a little flawed in my opinion.

Now I am not saying the Cowboys are going 12-4 by any means. In fact, highly unlikely. But the Cowboys are a much improved team from 2003 & 2004... if only on paper.

And also, it is likely the Cowboys CAN make the playoffs if Eli plays well and if T.O. and Owens are on the field at the same time.

No, I'm just saying that there's a ton of variables that go into play during a season.

We're better than 2003 in the fact that we're more talented from top to bottom. But we could wind up with a much worse record. We're much better than we were in 2004 but could wind up with a worse record.

It all depends on our development and the development of others. A lot also depends on injuries.

I can't see what the problem is with what I'm saying. We're just like most other teams. We're average.......The Eagles, Pats, Steelers, Colts are the elite teams in the NFL. They're the only sure fire playoff teams.

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
I think were a playoff team barring a serious injury to a key player. The Defense is substantially better and we have a little younger and a lot stronger arm to lead us. Parcells did quite a bit with a little bit of nothing two seasons ago. I'm not sure how deep, but all things considered we should certainly be in the hunt.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yes, I see the Cowboys as a playoff team.

Philadelphia is in for sure. I just don't see how they can't be. I'll specualte that the other division winners will be Minnesota, Atlanta, and Arizona.

That leaves Dallas, Seattle, Carolina, and perhaps the Giants fighting for 2 spots. I believe we'll finish ahead of the G-men. I don't trust Carolina's QB as far as I can kick a piano. I think Seattle grabs the other spot.

I honestly am looking at 11-5 this year. I think it is very do-able.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I don't see them as a Playoff team, even though I think I picked 9-7 on that seasons prediction thread. I think we'll be lucky to go 8-8 because our defense isn't ready for the 3-4. We should have been building it two years ago, not spend a few draft picks and free agent signings in the hopes that we can miraculously fix it in one offseason. I think a surprising offense is the only thing that will give us a winning record, in particular a reborn Drew Bledsoe and a successful sophmore campaign by Julius Jones.

scottsp

Reaction score
Dallas is one of three, maybe four teams that are on the bubble for a wild card berth. Those teams have made significant upgrades at key positions or should simply improve within.

You also have to factor in those teams that "come out of nowhere." And there will be at least one. There is every season. On the flipside, teams that were thought to be contenders could very well slide into the toilet. We all know that happens as well.

So, the Cowboys have a logistical shot at the postseason, but by no means are they a lock. I have them at 9-7. Where that lands them is anyone's guess.

And as far as all the changes go....hell, Dallas isn't the only one that has went shopping and made upgrades. We don't yet know the extent of turnover. But trust this, the Cowboys aren't alone in terms of all the changes they've undergone.

Besides, those changes were needed. And change was not made to gear this team towards 2006.

Jersey

Reaction score
I'd be embarrassed if we weren''t. With the entire NFC as bad as its been in 10 years, how can we not. We should win 9 games by mistake, 10-12 if we take care of business. Bottom line is, how fast does the defense gel, and Bledsoe throwing 5 more TD's than INT's. But most of all, turnovers on both sides of the ball.

twa

Reaction score
Borderline...However I like the additions and feel with a little luck [along with a sensible mix of 3-4/4-3] we could push the proven SB contenders.

Anything more than contending for a playoff spot will depend on solid production from the newbies.

HOMER ALERT:

I think we have the potential to be as good as any team out there :abuseme: :pray2: :nervous:

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Eddie said:
Funny, go over to the Skins forum and we laugh at them for thinking they're a playoff team.

Unfortunately, when the come over here, they laugh at us for thinking WE are a playoff team.
I laugh at them for things like believing santana moss will be better than Coles, or how Sean Taylor will be better than ed reed, and how he is already better than roy williams, micheal lewis et al.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes we are a playoff team this year. After the 4 division winners, what team does anyone see that is better than us?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
I think more than injuries, breaks, Bledsoe's resurrection, the older players' staying healthy, etc, whether we make the playoff or not will come down to the coaching.

Until Bill has proven he has amassed anything like the quality staffs he put together in the past, I think the answer is 'no'.

Just read today's Jen Floyd piece in which she accurately tags the oline as, on the whole, underachieving. Anytime the 'under' word is relevant, it's as much an indictment of the coaches as the players, probably more so.

Some of what I want to see in order to have faith in the coaching staff:

Todd Haley (whom I admittedly never cared for) has got to do more than tread water with two vet receivers who could teach him a few things about the position. He's got to DEVELOP Quincy, improve his reception technique, make a consistent performer out of Crayton, and yes, really prove himself thru Crowder, who is reported to have worked very hard this offseason. When there is that much will (I think Randal Williams lacked it) and that much speed/athleticism, it's on the wideout coach to make it happen. Glenn and Johnson are finished products..Haley needs to earn his keep.

Sparano has got to naysay that underachiever critque. Something has to be done to get Flo more consistent, and tho many have given up on Gurode, he's a player that could turn things around with the right coach, as could Tucker. There is way too much talent on hand for the inability to develop a RT to sabatoge it all. Technique, and cohesion..with as many vets on hand the should be no excuse for young players not knowing what to do. Making the oline and run game coordinator the same coach makes sense ...but Sparano has to be up to the task of coordinating both units to max performance. He also has to keep those blitzes off Bledsoe. His backs have to be blitz read savvy to the extreme. It's going to take very smart play to make it work. Johnny Lynn has to teach technique well.

Witten has nowhere near reached his peak, and Pasqualoni has got to find a way to maintain, or even up the rate of progress. David Lee has an opportunity to make a real name for himself with Henson.

If Bill is going to remain the de facto OC, fine, his playcalling could be much worse, but let's see Payton find the right balance for Bledsoe, do better at correcting his bad habits, and in general, prevent Drew from doing to Sean's career what he did to Gilbride's and Zampese's. With Bledsoe's OCs, it's self-preservation that has to kick in...it isn't just Tuna that is going to be taken down by DB if he fails...Sean is only going to survive if he is TOUGH and stands up to both Bill and Bledsoe, who is notoriously resistant to instruction . That might mean recommending Henson or Romo down the line, and working as closely with Lee as possible to get them ready.

Of course the defensive coaches have the greatest task, especially Gibbs and Rogers. It won't be easy under a DC who himself is learning a new scheme. But the key to a successful first year implemention of the 3-4, is I think, having the balls to play with abandon, not being overly rigid, perfectionist, and anal. Mistakes are going to be made, and a lot of them..players out of position, not understanding assignments, rookies messing up, not getting calls right... the only thing that I have noticed keeps a team in a new scheme competitive is maximizing speed and athletic ability coupled with sound tackling technique, knowing there will be over running on plays, and assorted goofs, but compensating for them with exuberance and killer instinct.

I have seen this work..two examples last year in NY under rookie Donnie Henderson when he played several rookies while introducing a 3-4, and a few years back in Baltimore when the cap cost so many good players to the Ravens after their SB year. Billick and Lewis had a free for all kamikaze preseason in which they threw out young players like Will Demps and told them to earn their spots. There was no holding back and they were able to evaluate both individual skills and decide who could be integrated successfully that season, and how fast.

Intangibles like momentum and "excitement" certainly play a large role, tho. You can tell when hesitancy is destroying a defense's opportunity....one player doubting another and all trying to do too much...it takes just the half second to give the O the edge. When you're not sure of what you're doing, (and that is part of the process) I've witnessed it's better to gamble that you will lose less on head strong play than on looking at each other in puzzlement.

I frankly doubt Zim has the temperament to allow young talent and speed to maximize itself, and will be so in fear of losing, that he won't gamble enough to compensate for the mistakes that will come anyway when implementing a new scheme. Even Tuna himself always featured a careful, slower implementation process. "Bend don't break" is the antithesis of what it takes to succeed early on... that's for later, when everyone is secure with his assignments. "I may break as I break on that ball but I will break your head off as I do" might be more in order. ;)

I think we can win, and win quickly in the early season (it will be later season we will have to regroup when DCs have watched film and seen the growing pains and how to combat them) if as the coaches teach, they give the Wares, Spears, Davis's and hopefully Canty's some headway. If the basic tackling skill is there, the vet smarts, and the rookie/young player exuberance can compensate for the mistakes...but I really think allowing the young ones a looser rein than Bill and Zim might fancy will not be a mistake, but the only way to stay competitive early on.

But if our coaches have the sand to play it that way, I do not know.

The coaches need to be worthy teachers, and also have brass ones for us to win, imho.