Do not resign Dak

Sandyf

Reaction score
Prediction: Sometime in February Dallas resigns Lawrence to a 5 year deal and extends Dak on a 10 year deal. Book it!!!!

Nav22

Reaction score
Dak rather sucked totally in the first half except the opening drive. He missed easy throws, looked lost, and helped kill drives. His second half play was better, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he's done this a lot this season. I believe he can improve, but he has to figure out why he's so cold in the first half of games so often.
Some of those points he scored were basically garbage-time stats because they fell behind so far. It wasn't realistic to expect a comeback. Once the Rams hit 30, the game was over because the defense sucked, but the offense maintained it's scoring woes in the first half. You just can't score 22 in a playoff game against the best offense of the year and expect to win. Most of the blame falls on the coaches and the defense, but Dak gets a share too.

He needs to fix that accuracy and whatever ails him in the first half of games pronto. He can do it. It's mostly mental. I believe that he can do it, but he can't be doing what he did in the first half in playoff games and expect to come back to win.

When you miss easy throw to wide open receivers more than once, there's a problem. When you don't see wide open receivers for a lot of the game, there's a problem. He wasn't flawless, but he did better in the second half. It was a team loss, but he gets a share of the blame. Anyone who says otherwise has an agenda. Flawless... right. I didn't realize he made every throw he attempted. Oh wait, he didn't.

I just don't think he should be signed until he's shown that he's worked on those issues.
I don’t know why simple math is so confounding for some of you people, but let me try again.

22 points in only EIGHT possessions is 2.75 pts per possession. That is VERY good.

In fact, that would’ve been 4th-best in the NFL this season.

We only had 8 possessions (the average is 10) because the D couldn’t get off the field.

The defense was garbage. The run game was garbage. The passing game was the ONLY successful unit Saturday night.

So that means with zero help whatsoever, Dak had the Cowboys down 1 score. Of course, the D couldn’t get a stop to give us a shot at tying the game.

Blaming the QB for playing very well but not well enough to overcome an awful supporting cast is sheer stupidity. It’s what some of you did to Tony Romo his entire career. And now Romo is beloved by nearly all Cowboys fans. He’ll be in the Ring of Honor soon, and deservedly so.

Congrats on not learning a thing from your mistakes, people! “DAK SUX LOL!”

nobody

Reaction score
I don’t know why simple math is so confounding for some of you people, but let me try again.

22 points in only EIGHT possessions is 2.75 pts per possession. That is VERY good.

We only had 8 possessions (the average is 10) because the D couldn’t get off the field.

The defense was garbage. The run game was garbage. The passing game was the ONLY successful unit Saturday night.

So that means with zero help whatsoever, Dak had the Cowboys down 1 score. Of course, the D couldn’t get a stop to give us a shot at tying the game.

Blaming the QB for playing very well but not well enough to overcome an awful supporting cast is sheer stupidity. It’s what some of you did to Tony Romo his entire career. And now Romo is beloved by nearly all Cowboys fans. He’ll be in the Ring of Honor soon, and deservedly so.

Apparently you have reading comprehension issues. I never said "Dak sux." I said that he sucked in the first half besides the opening drive. Anyone with eyes could see it. Nor did I blame the entire loss on him. He was a factor but not the main factors. Some of those points were scored in "garbage time" where there really wasn't a realistic way for the Cowboys to comeback barring ridiculously small odds of something game-changing happening. The most prolific offense in the NFL didn't score a TD every drive. That's not a defense of the defense. They totally sucked in an epic way, but they were at least preventing some TD's, especially at first. Did the offense rise to the occasion in the beginning and keep it close? No. Dak didn't show up to really start playing until the 4th, like he's done several times this year. A lot of that is on Linehan not designing the scheme around Dak's skillset, but he's the QB and the starter who is expect to at least make the easy throws.

Obviously, you've never seen an opposing defense going into "prevent" defense, which is what they did. Dak did very well in the 4th. He's capable of more. Whatever issue he's having in the first half of games this season is mental and something he needs to fix.

Garbage time points are great for stats, but they didn't do jack except pad stats. The entire team lost this game, Dak included. Only complete morons give Dak a complete pass. The offense failed, The defense failed harder, the coaching failed the hardest. 22 points is fine for regular season games against regular teams. Against playoff teams and more than likely SB-bound teams? It won't cut it in today's league. Again though, since you have reading trouble, the defense and coaching were the main culprits. Dak contributed to the failure with his 1st half performance.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

And of those 8 three were 3 and outs, i wonder what the average is for that in the NFL oh wait i know...the worst team in the NFL this season at 3 and outs were the Jags at 24.9% that is very bad we were at 37.5% yesterday, we can all make stats do what we want

irving

Reaction score
And our great o line let zeke get 50 yards. Jesus. The o line was patch all season. What a ridiculous post
Tough game. Defense didn't play well, but that was a given.. Thye played a very good offense and all things considered fought hard. held them to field goals...

End of the day, the game was there to be won. They dared dak to win with his arm. With a more efficient QB we win this game.

This guy has so much more than most QB's the team has all the things in place to make noise except for ... DAK.. One of the best olines, one of the best RB's one of the best defenses, good wo's this guy can't win.. he's a scrub. Resigning him and loosing out on other more important players that we should resign will be imprending mediocracy for this franchise for more years to come. He is the issue.
No disrespect meant to you, but did you watch the game? I'm not here to apologize for Dak, but he clearly was not the reason Dallas lost on Saturday. Dak was 20/32 266yds 1 td, 0 int Elliott 20 car 47 yds 1 td 2.4 avg. Goff 15/28 186 yds 0 td 0 int. CJ Anderson 23 car 123 yds 2 td 5.3 avg, Gurley 16 car 115 yds 1td 7.2 avg. The Rams punted 1 time. The Dallas Offensive line is a shell of it's former self, Goff's stats clearly show the Rams running game was dominant, and took all the pressure off of him to have a big game. How did Goff look against the Bears a few weeks ago? A Bear team with a dominant defense, he threw four interceptions and the run game was none existent. I don't know what the stats say, but chances are a team that punts only once in game probably wins most of the time. The lack of a running game by Dallas and the inability to stop the Rams run game directly lead to the loss. Oh and before you say Dak needed to throw for more yards, that is not possible when Rams defensive line is dominating a make shift Offensive line.

irving

Reaction score
The offense played a part in that though. You just can’t go 5 straight possessions with no points against a mediocre defense (with 3 of those possessions being 4 or less plays) and expect that your defense isn’t going to wilt under that. The D was shaky to begin with, then they were shaky and exhausted by half. If the offense even musters 2 FGs in those 5 wasted possessions we probably have a coin flip game in the end despite the poor effort from the D.
Someone should have told Suh and Donald that they were not supposed to dominate our make shift offensive line. The Rams have a talented defense that underachieved during the season, they obviously played with a chip on their shoulder after hearing all week about the Dallas rushing attack. The Rams punted one time in the game, how many teams win when they only force one punt?

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Very funny how quick fans are to turn on Dak. Dak, Coop, and Gallup were the only ones that showed up on Saturday in all honesty. Yeah Dak had a few bad throws, but so did everyone other QB in the divisional round. He made clutch throws too (the one to Gallup and Coop), and had we won, we wouldn't be dwelling on "Dinkin' Dak" like we are right now. I agree we don't need to extend him yet, but I do want to see him under coaching that will use his abilities to his advantage. Linehan and Moore aren't helping him using his abilities to win the game

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Very funny how quick fans are to turn on Dak. Dak, Coop, and Gallup were the only ones that showed up on Saturday in all honesty. Yeah Dak had a few bad throws, but so did everyone other QB in the divisional round. He made clutch throws too (the one to Gallup and Coop), and had we won, we wouldn't be dwelling on "Dinkin' Dak" like we are right now. I agree we don't need to extend him yet, but I do want to see him under coaching that will use his abilities to his advantage. Linehan and Moore aren't helping him using his abilities to win the game
This isn't 2016 anymore hell you talking about quick to turn. You Pom Pom types need to get with reality Dak is avg at best but keep thinking he some type of awesome QB. Dak fools sheeps by not turing the ball over but he really doesn't do jack to help you win most times either. Why didn't Mr Clutch tie the game up in the fourth when he had a chance to? Dak isn't the biggest reason for the loss on Saturday at all but his style of play is only good when you're ahead. I know folks will hit me with some come back numbers but where was that at in the biggest game of the year?

aikemirv

Reaction score

Based on the situation Dak was in he did NOT play a good game. He was the reason we did not score more points in the first half. He was completely off on passes and made bad decisions. I don't care what stats you put out there about pts per possession, what matters is this game and his opportunities. Next gen stats had him at an expected completion percentage of 75%. If you watched the game and saw how open our WR's were, you know this is a fact and not some arbitrary stat.

He blew the 3rd and 5 to Cooper and he absolutely blew the 4th and 1. He was responsible for missing those wide open guys. If he were throwing into tight coverage all day then 20-32 for 266 is a decent performance but you know, watching the game, that he missed opportunities plain and simple! Because as everyone knows - he is inaccurate - it was on full display Saturday!

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
This isn't 2016 anymore hell you talking about quick to turn. You Pom Pom types need to get with reality Dak is avg at best but keep thinking he some type of awesome QB. Dak fools sheeps by not turing the ball over but he really doesn't do jack to help you win most times either. Why didn't Mr Clutch tie the game up in the fourth when he had a chance to? Dak isn't the biggest reason for the loss on Saturday at all but his style of play is only good when you're ahead. I know folks will hit me with some come back numbers but where was that at in the biggest game of the year?

All I'm saying is Dak has potential. I'm not saying he's gonna be the greatest freaking QB of all time. Hell he probably won't even touch Matt Ryan when it comes to playing, but you guys are being too rough.

I look at it like this. Rookie QB's are like babies. They're in a new world and they need guidance (coaching). Jared Goff was a bust his first year, but once Sean McCoy came in, Jared Goff went OFF. Brady had Belichick to help develop him. Dak is stuck with Garrett and Linehan. In his 2016 season, Romo could be seen on the sidelines helping guide Dak on plays and what to do. Once Romo was gone after our 13-3 season, we went downhill. You CANNOT tell me coaching doesn't make a difference. If Dak had someone like McVay or Belichick, he'd be fine and everyone would still be raving over him, but no. He has Garrett, Lineman and Moore. That's like a little kid having ignorant parents and the kid has to learn everything on their own.

Then don't get me started on unrealistic expectations. EVERYONE compares and expects their QB to be like Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, etc. Dak is easily middle of the pack (16,17th best QB), but your mind is obviously fogged up by these gunslinging QB's that you aren't even looking at Dak's strengths. Mahomes is an anomaly and QB's like him aren't found so easily. Yeah Dak isn't a great QB, but he isn't a bad one either. Stop this stuff

Nav22

Reaction score
Apparently you have reading comprehension issues. I never said "Dak sux." I said that he sucked in the first half besides the opening drive. Anyone with eyes could see it. Nor did I blame the entire loss on him. He was a factor but not the main factors. Some of those points were scored in "garbage time" where there really wasn't a realistic way for the Cowboys to comeback barring ridiculously small odds of something game-changing happening. The most prolific offense in the NFL didn't score a TD every drive. That's not a defense of the defense. They totally sucked in an epic way, but they were at least preventing some TD's, especially at first. Did the offense rise to the occasion in the beginning and keep it close? No. Dak didn't show up to really start playing until the 4th, like he's done several times this year. A lot of that is on Linehan not designing the scheme around Dak's skillset, but he's the QB and the starter who is expect to at least make the easy throws.

Obviously, you've never seen an opposing defense going into "prevent" defense, which is what they did. Dak did very well in the 4th. He's capable of more. Whatever issue he's having in the first half of games this season is mental and something he needs to fix.

Garbage time points are great for stats, but they didn't do jack except pad stats. The entire team lost this game, Dak included. Only complete morons give Dak a complete pass. The offense failed, The defense failed harder, the coaching failed the hardest. 22 points is fine for regular season games against regular teams. Against playoff teams and more than likely SB-bound teams? It won't cut it in today's league. Again though, since you have reading trouble, the defense and coaching were the main culprits. Dak contributed to the failure with his 1st half performance.
Nonsense.

LOL “garbage time”? Garbage time is reading your posts.

A TD with over 2 minutes left while keeping all 3 timeouts to cut the lead to a 1-score game isn’t “garbage time”, genius. That’s called giving your team a chance to win.

My God, learn football.

You’re still stuck on this 22 points thing as if that’s not a lot of points in 8 possessions.
Again: that would’ve been the 4th-best scoring offense in football on a per-possession basis.

MATH! YAY!

This despite zero run game and a terrible defense. Dak played a very good game and the numbers all reflect that. He’s the one guy who shouldn’t be blamed. Smart people know that.

“Dak didn’t show up until the 4th” LOLLLL yeah except for that 85-yard TD drive in the 3rd quarter, Bozo.

Keep embarrassing yourself.

Nav22

Reaction score
And of those 8 three were 3 and outs, i wonder what the average is for that in the NFL oh wait i know...the worst team in the NFL this season at 3 and outs were the Jags at 24.9% that is very bad we were at 37.5% yesterday, we can all make stats do what we want
They has 2 of those, not 3, liar.

Nav22

Reaction score
Based on the situation Dak was in he did NOT play a good game. He was the reason we did not score more points in the first half. He was completely off on passes and made bad decisions. I don't care what stats you put out there about pts per possession, what matters is this game and his opportunities. Next gen stats had him at an expected completion percentage of 75%. If you watched the game and saw how open our WR's were, you know this is a fact and not some arbitrary stat.

He blew the 3rd and 5 to Cooper and he absolutely blew the 4th and 1. He was responsible for missing those wide open guys. If he were throwing into tight coverage all day then 20-32 for 266 is a decent performance but you know, watching the game, that he missed opportunities plain and simple! Because as everyone knows - he is inaccurate - it was on full display Saturday!
LOL he blew the 4th and 1? You mean the handoff to Zeke? LOLLLLLLLLL

You clowns don’t know football, it’s as simple as that. “WHY DIDN’T DAK PLAY A FLAWLESS GAME????”

People like you used to blame Romo for not bailing out his weak supporting cast too. Dak’s in great company.

I look forward to his contract extension and feasting on the tears of our know-nothing fans when that happens.

aikemirv

Reaction score
LOL he blew the 4th and 1? You mean the handoff to Zeke? LOLLLLLLLLL

You clowns don’t know football, it’s as simple as that. “WHY DIDN’T DAK PLAY A FLAWLESS GAME????”

People like you used to blame Romo for not bailing out his weak supporting cast too. Dak’s in great company.

I look forward to his contract extension and feasting on the tears of our know-nothing fans when that happens.
Yeah, he blew it, audible to the sneak and hit that 2 yard gap - it ain't rocket science!

Philmonroe

Reaction score
All I'm saying is Dak has potential. I'm not saying he's gonna be the greatest freaking QB of all time. Hell he probably won't even touch Matt Ryan when it comes to playing, but you guys are being too rough.

I look at it like this. Rookie QB's are like babies. They're in a new world and they need guidance (coaching). Jared Goff was a bust his first year, but once Sean McCoy came in, Jared Goff went OFF. Brady had Belichick to help develop him. Dak is stuck with Garrett and Linehan. In his 2016 season, Romo could be seen on the sidelines helping guide Dak on plays and what to do. Once Romo was gone after our 13-3 season, we went downhill. You CANNOT tell me coaching doesn't make a difference. If Dak had someone like McVay or Belichick, he'd be fine and everyone would still be raving over him, but no. He has Garrett, Lineman and Moore. That's like a little kid having ignorant parents and the kid has to learn everything on their own.

Then don't get me started on unrealistic expectations. EVERYONE compares and expects their QB to be like Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, etc. Dak is easily middle of the pack (16,17th best QB), but your mind is obviously fogged up by these gunslinging QB's that you aren't even looking at Dak's strengths. Mahomes is an anomaly and QB's like him aren't found so easily. Yeah Dak isn't a great QB, but he isn't a bad one either. Stop this stuff
He's at his potential already. Nobody is being too rough you just want to coddle Dak and some don't that's the only difference. You CANNOT tell me talent don't make a difference. If Dak was more accurate and made more of,the plays that are their to make he wouldn't be as polarizing of a figure as he is. He might be better with better coaching and I won't argue that but he'd also be better if he actually was better as a passer. My mind is fogged up because I want a QB to pass better? You got me on that one my man guilty as charged. I said he was avg at best and funny you said he's about middle of the pack aka avg so what the hell are you talking about regarding me saying he's bad? Get out of your feelings.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
They has 2 of those, not 3, liar.

Excuse me sorry i went back and looked they had two 3 and outs and a 4 play drive....lol, at any rate 2 of 8 is 25% that still makes them worse than the worst team in the NFL this season at 3 and outs

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
He's at his potential already. Nobody is being too rough you just want to coddle Dak and some don't that's the only difference. You CANNOT tell me talent don't make a difference. If Dak was more accurate and made more of,the plays that are their to make he wouldn't be as polarizing of a figure as he is. He might be better with better coaching and I won't argue that but he'd also be better if he actually was better as a passer. My mind is fogged up because I want a QB to pass better? You got me on that one my man guilty as charged. I said he was avg at best and funny you said he's about middle of the pack aka avg so what the hell are you talking about regarding me saying he's bad? Get out of your feelings.

I'm not going to continue this argument with you anymore. I bet you weren't saying this [explicit] in 2016 when he was a rookie. I agree with you on him needing to be a better passer, but I fail to understand how I am coddling him when I said all he needs is a better QB? Is it coddling a little boy/girl if I were to say that he/she needs better parents? Dak has shown that he can throw deep. He has MADE passes like it before. He doesn't DO IT because A. His QB coach sucks [explicit] and probably doesn't teach him the mechanics of doing so, and B. His OC doesn't let him take such risks. Regardless of what you say next, hasta la vista. Dak is staying with this team rather you like it or not, and we have to deal with it. Might as well look at the positives rather than the negatives.

May I ask, what do you suppose we do with the QB position? Drafting one with the 58th pick is no easy task. Rush sucks. I don't understand why you're complaining when there really is no solution to our "problem" besides sticking with him and hoping he gets better instead of complaining.

csirl

Reaction score
I tired of seeing people trott out Daks stats as proof he is a good QB. All the stats say is that Dak is very good at executing the particular plays called for him by Linehan.

Yet we get lots of complaints about Linehan's limited vanilla playbook. How Linehan doesnt open it up etc.

The elephant in the room here is that because Dak has limited skills, Linehan has a limited playbook.

The fact that it looks like the team is retaining Linehan in spite of offensive limitations and heavy criticism this year suggests that the team thinks he's done a good job in maximising offensive output with a limited QB. And credit to Dak, he does his best.

And the eye test doesnt lie. We can all see the limitations. It's actually disheartening seeing other QBs being able to do things we cant. Dont settle for mediocre - the team should be trying to upgrade the QB position.

Big_D

Reaction score
I agree.. Cowboys definitely need to find a better long term solution. Prescott doesn't look like he's worth an extension.