Do people really believe there is a better option than Dak this year?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Those that have been to NFC Champ Game...like Keenum, and not Dak? Since we're using silly logic.
and those that were cut off the team for another FA eventhough they were in the NFCCG, that alone tells you the value to the team for getting there.....

and I was talking about coaches....not players....try to keep up

Kevinicus

Reaction score
and those that were cut off the team for another FA eventhough they were in the NFCCG, that alone tells you the value to the team for getting there.....

and I was talking about coaches....not players....try to keep up

I'm well ahead of you, trust me. This is a silly argument.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You are failing to grasp how team football works.

You think Dak is some world beater apparently. You give him a huge contract, you definitely won't get the performance to win a Championship since the rest of the team won't be as good, and he needs a great team around him.
With Keenum, you CAN win with a good team around him, and you have a much better shot of that good team because the contract will be lower.
I don't think Dak is a world beater, if you have read through my posts, I have said, please provide options. and discuss/explain why those options are realistic and better. but many have refused, they just don't want to sign dak. My response is if there are not BETTER options, the option at hand is the best AVAILABLE option, even if we don't like it....

and IMO if there is a year we can give out a few large contracts is this year, with 95 mill of cap space and easily be able to create another 20. I actually am on the side that even if we get to sign Dak, give him a 3 year contract not the longer contract the Jone's has been rumored to want to do.... and lets not handicap ourselves for 6 or 7 years. then we can just go back to the drawing board.

the key is the draft to supplement the FAs and specially our OWN FAs that we have developed over the years...Draft is key. we missed out on 2019 draft. puts us behind a little. 2018, so far has produced Gallup...if LVE returns, then we had a good draft.

I doubt if Keenum will ever find success again. he walked into the perfect situation. I think it has to be the perfect storm around Keenum to have any chance. the year with Minn. it was the perfect storm. strong OL, strong WR, strong Runnign game, Strong TE, Strong strong defense. Minn had a dominant defense in 2016. we don't have any of that and there isn't enough players/right players and draft picks to become dominant. too many holes at DT, DE, Saftey, CB, LB.

there is a reason every team and I mean every team and every GM has let him walk after one year. including Elway who won a superbowl with a half armed QB that had neck surgery at the end of his career....nobody and I mean nobody wanted to keep this guy...yet...here we are people are betting on Keenum. somehow I don't get the warm and fuzzy's

Kevinicus

Reaction score
yes it is a silly argument to think Keenum is worth anything or has any value other than being a backup. fully agree.
Yet he has been to the NFC Championship game. Hell, Grossman has been to a superbowl (it's not fair to Keenum or Dak to compare them to him, though).
He provides the value of being a capable NFL QB. Not great, and not really good. Just capable. Put the right team around him, and it's possible to win the SB. He's not an ideal choice, but a more cost effective one than Dak. That is all. That's a better option.

And to your previous post, I don't think highlighting Elway does anything but make your argument look really really bad. He's been making absolutely terrible QB decisions since Manning (a "duh" decision).

And your "perfect storm" comments fit Dak to a T.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yet he has been to the NFC Championship game. Hell, Grossman has been to a superbowl (it's not fair to Keenum or Dak to compare them to him, though).
He provides the value of being a capable NFL QB. Not great, and not really good. Just capable. Put the right team around him, and it's possible to win the SB. He's not an ideal choice, but a more cost effective one than Dak. That is all. That's a better option.

And to your previous post, I don't think highlighting Elway does anything but make your argument look really really bad. He's been making absolutely terrible QB decisions since Manning (a "duh" decision).

Hell Trent dilfer has won.a super bowl. He is therfore better than.dan Marino. Joe flacco has won two Superbowls. He is a better QB than Steve young and Aaron Rodgers and Brett favre and brees

So if Rodgers and marino belong in HOF then so does Dilfer and flacco

:omg:

kskboys

Reaction score

Keenum's not capable. I usually agree w/ you, but not on this one. Keenum is a clone of Matt Moore. Simply not quite good enough to start. The only way you'd win a super bowl w/ Keenum is to have a D as talented as the 2000 Ravens D. It would have to be that freakishly good. MAYBE the 2015 Broncs. Close one.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Yeah, my head wasn't right. Glad someone bothered to check that. I was digesting something I shouldn't have read while drinking. He went 10-6 in 2015 which brings his total to 53-29-1.

Andy Dalton
2011 9-7
2012 10-6
2013 11-5
2014 10-5-1
2015 10-6

Thanks! I'm always happy when my numbers are rechecked, and glad to clarify any mistakes!
I think 2015 he got injured and didn't finish off the season. AJ McCarron stepped in and that was the infamous Burfict hit to AB. @garyo1954

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Keenum's not capable. I usually agree w/ you, but not on this one. Keenum is a clone of Matt Moore. Simply not quite good enough to start. The only way you'd win a super bowl w/ Keenum is to have a D as talented as the 2000 Ravens D. It would have to be that freakishly good. MAYBE the 2015 Broncs. Close one.
The dude spent 4 years ragging on Prescott making $4 million over 4 years and then wants to go to bat for Keenum having value and being capable of winning it the right team is around him. It’s why I can’t respect anything these Dak haters have to say. And then they get defensive when you are as critical of their pet cat QBs as they are of Dak.

plymkr

Reaction score
Every day I read a new thread about that QB who is going to somehow make us look like a genius for not signing Dak.

-- Matthew Stafford? Didn't anyone learn with Aikman what happens to an immobile QB over 30 with a bad back?
-- Teddy Bridgewater? How many games has he proven himself in his career since 2015? You realize he never threw more than 14 TDs a year before his injury?
-- Philip Rivers? He almost threw more interceptions than TDs in his worst year ever. He was booed out of the stadium by his own fans his last game!
-- Tom Brady? He turns 43 this year! I repeat, he turns 43! I didn't even trust myself jumping off my truck tailgate at 43. Nevermind a QB in the NFL!
-- Insert whichever QB is the flavor of the moment.

Here we have a 26 year old QB about to enter the prime of his career. Except for one sophomore slump, he has pulled in terrific numbers and wins every year. I won't post the repeat stat threads that show how Dak lines up well against all the recent great QBs in most significant stats and wins numbers. He's not a choker in the Playoffs. He just got done with a record year on a team that had given up on its head coach, and oh yeah, he tried to close it out with more than one significant injury. We'll never see him in a rape or wife beater headline, we'll never see the team give up on him or him isolate them with his primadonna act. He IS high grade quality individual, tough as nails, and this is about as safe a contract as you can gamble on.

You want to rally against him because he won't sign for the same as the last QB free agent? Fine. But look at the competition above. His agent isn't stupid. Someone will pony up $40 million a year for Dak. He is the only one on the list who guarantees you 7 years of a franchise QB.

If you want to have a serious QB debate, why not talk about some 2nd-4th round draft pick bargains that could become the next... gulp... Dak! Just in case we have to franchise him and it goes south. I look forward to someone telling me who that next hidden draft pick is who could play Tony Romo into retirement.
Let me think about it in the shower and I'll get back to you.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep Dak at all costs!
Love the fact with him at the helm we can only beat dog teams and continuously lose to good teams!
Also falling behind in every game pretty much is awesome!!
Dak first as without him the Star is a non-factor!!!:banghead:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The pot calling the kettle black

Keenum went to NFCCG thus he is better than Dak....your logic

Same logic
Dilfer won a Superbowl thus he is better than marino...strawman logic

Hmmmmmm
Another strawman. That is not, and never has been my argument. I've made that VERY clear. The only time I mention it is when you try and say he (going back to the QBs win idea) can't win, even though he was the starter on a more successful team than Dak has ever been on.

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
That's fair. He's far from ideal, and you definitely need a very good team around him. But, I think you need the same for Dak. With Keenum, you at least have the extra financial resources to try and achieve that. Neither would be my choice. But if I am picking one for the short term, until we can find the QB we really want, I'd take Keenum and the money.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's fair. He's far from ideal, and you definitely need a very good team around him. But, I think you need the same for Dak. With Keenum, you at least have the extra financial resources to try and achieve that. Neither would be my choice. But if I am picking one for the short term, until we can find the QB we really want, I'd take Keenum and the money.
If I can get Keenum for around 5 mil, I might do the same. Tough choice.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Keep Dak at all costs!
Love the fact with him at the helm we can only beat dog teams and continuously lose to good teams!
Also falling behind in every game pretty much is awesome!!
Dak first as without him the Star is a non-factor!!!:banghead:
so with dak we have fallen behind in every game pretty much....as you said...right..you did say every.....

and we haven't beaten any good teams.....right? that's what you said..continuously lose to good teams...right?