Do some Cowboys fans really think one-and-done is the same as missing the playoffs?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Even my secretary who doesn’t watch football AT ALL nor her husband shakes her head at me each year as I walk around telling everyone this year is out year. She says I’m worse than a person in an abusive relationship cause I keep going back for more.
That's disturbingly HILARIOUS,,, also,cause " I's gots to know " is your SECRETARY SEXUALLY ATTRACTIVE?,,, I mean smouldering ,smoking Hottie, ,,if not,,, fer' a mere $32.47 ( Cash, in advance, Friend) my worldly renowned 7 insight steps to overly exemplify yer' Secretary's intriguing Sexualized Services can be expressly dispatched to yer' most needful location,,,o_O

(
just putting it out there, Bro, ya know?:))

slomoxn

Reaction score
That's disturbingly HILARIOUS,,, also,cause " I's gots to know " is your SECRETARY SEXUALLY ATTRACTIVE?,,, I mean smouldering ,smoking Hottie, ,,if not,,, fer' a mere $32.47 ( Cash, in advance, Friend) my worldly renowned 7 insight steps to overly exemplify yer' Secretary's intriguing Sexualized Services can be expressly dispatched to yer' most needful location,,,o_O

(
just putting it out there, Bro, ya know?:))
I don’t know whether she is attractive or not has anything to do with her thinking we’re supporong an owner that is fleecing is. But I’ll say me too is real so I’ll keep it zipped. Lol

MikeT22

Reaction score
Even if we somehow won the Super Bowl, there will be people starting threads complaining moments afterwards and listing stats about why we won't win the following year.

You guys and your little fantasies. It's amazing the stuff some of you make up in your head.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
Im not optimistic about goin far in the playoffs, BUT at least we know we wont be facing Aaron Rodgers, that alone should give us all at least a lil hope.....

75boyz

Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone else but let me try to explain the mindset you're talking about. At least from my perspective. There are seasons where a team can make the playoffs but we all know they're not going anywhere, like the 1999 and 2006 Cowboys, borderline trash and nothing to get excited about. Forget the record, after watching an entire season you know how good that team is and their chances. So it's not really whether or not they make the playoffs, but a fans opinion of their team's realistic chance to do anything in the playoffs.

I share your perspective and wholeheartedly agree that this same perspective applies to this year's team as well as those previous years' teams you mentioned. Totally agree with ya.

Flamma

Reaction score
I share your perspective and wholeheartedly agree that this same perspective applies to this year's team as well as those previous years' teams you mentioned. Totally agree with ya.

Yeah it would take close to a miracle to string 3 straight good games together in the playoffs with this offense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No it shouldnt its let down for sure but really I know many maybe half the NFL teams that would love to have won 3 division titles in 5 years regardless of the playoff results..its not easy and fans who lesson its significance dont understand how hard it is to win in the nfl and then win your division to make the playoffs..

75boyz

Reaction score
Yeah it would take close to a miracle to string 3 straight good games together in the playoffs with this offense.

Yeah, worst playoff QB play I've seen since Tebow with the Broncos and Peytons last year with the Broncos as well. (Well, I mean at least Peytons dee rewarded him with a second ring but people forget how garbage he was that whole year.)

I guess we could miraculously channel our inner '85 Bears defense and win a bunch of games by baseball scores all theway to a trophy...

I dont think we have quite achieved 85 Bear defensive ability yet, so maybe...
NOT!

Lol

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
They do when they were 100% certain that the Cowboys would miss the playoffs...so in order to save face they start with "who cares if we make the playoffs...we have to win the Superbowl!!!" after saying all season that Dallas would win 4 games.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah, worst playoff QB play I've seen since Tebow with the Broncos and Peytons last year with the Broncos as well. (Well, I mean at least Peytons dee rewarded him with a second ring but people forget how garbage he was that whole year.)

I guess we could miraculously channel our inner '85 Bears defense and win a bunch of games by baseball scores all theway to a trophy...

I dont think we have quite achieved 85 Bear defensive ability yet, so maybe...
NOT!

Lol

You pretty much nailed it. I give the game against Seattle a 50/50 shot. That team is not rolling over. If Dallas gets lucky to not have the Saints in the Divisional round, they have a shot at the championship game, slim as it is. But in order to get there or the SB these coaches have to take the training wheels off Dak. Let him sling it down the field. I'd rather we die trying than playing not to lose.

75boyz

Reaction score
You pretty much nailed it. I give the game against Seattle a 50/50 shot. That team is not rolling over. If Dallas gets lucky to not have the Saints in the Divisional round, they have a shot at the championship game, slim as it is. But in order to get there or the SB these coaches have to take the training wheels off Dak. Let him sling it down the field. I'd rather we die trying than playing not to lose.

I hear ya but when the analysts point out replay after replay of missed opportunities not taken its just in my opinion that it's not the coaches letting him sling it, it's his own physical inability to consistently throw it.
The Plays are there to be made every week. It's up to HIM to throw it, not the coaches.
Just my opinion of course.

Could the offense be less predictable? Of course, but the missed opportunities that are there are more a problem and a product of an incapable NFL thrower.

To plagiarize another poster's comment (my apologies) " I feel sorry for Linehan, he has to re invent the game of football just to make Dak look good."

Best and most accurate summary of Dak I've read here all year and I totally agree with.

P.S. But even with as garbage as the quarterback play is, with this defense and Zeke, I like our chances against every single NFC team except New Orleans in New Orleans as well. f Philly gets in, not totally sold on beating them a third time if it came to it as well.

Nice post bro

Last edited:

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Not sure why the one-and-doners even bother watching the rest of the games since they've already given up. Maybe they should head over to the Roster or Draft zones to start talking offseason.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Seems like a prime example of Sour Grapes, but very often on this message board and elsewhere you will see some Cowboys fans saying, "Oh well, even if we make the playoffs, we'll just be one-and-done, so it makes no difference."

Sure, maybe they are hoping that the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs, so that Garrett and Linehan are fired. That is a rational motive, and I hope to see the Clap and Linehan both gone - but that isn't what these fans are saying; they're saying anything less than a Super Bowl championship, is all equal in terms of failure.

Don't know how many fans think this way, but IMHO there is a very clear difference between failure to make the playoffs, and making the playoffs but losing the first playoff game. The latter is still more of a success than the former. Otherwise, are people arguing there literally is no difference, success-wise, between 2015 and 2016?
not anything less that a superbowl. but maybe win a playoff game. maybe two. maybe play in the championship game...... its not about winning a weak division by default.....

Flamma

Reaction score
Not sure why the one-and-doners even bother watching the rest of the games since they've already given up. Maybe they should head over to the Roster or Draft zones to start talking offseason.

Every one of those one and doners want to see the Cowboys stomp their opponents. They're not even pessimists. They're realists unlike those that suck in helium and then try to sound threatening. Just like the Buffalo Bills that made the playoffs last year, they had their rah rah crowd too, but most people understood that playoff game was just unnecessary roughness that would lead to their quick exit.

Now if what my man 75boyz said is true, that this is all on Dak, that's troubling. That's the worst case scenario. I thought the coaching staff ran this type of gameplan. But if Dak himself is choosing not to take chances down the field, we're in trouble.

75boyz

Reaction score
Every one of those one and doners want to see the Cowboys stomp their opponents. They're not even pessimists. They're realists unlike those that suck in helium and then try to sound threatening. Just like the Buffalo Bills that made the playoffs last year, they had their rah rah crowd too, but most people understood that playoff game was just unnecessary roughness that would lead to their quick exit.

Now if what my man 75boyz said is true, that this is all on Dak, that's troubling. That's the worst case scenario. I thought the coaching staff ran this type of gameplan. But if Dak himself is choosing not to take chances down the field, we're in trouble.

I'm no more credible than any other armchair GM but Kurt Warner's piece on Daks inability to pull the trigger and what my eyes tell me along with Aikman's weekly critiques are enough to convince me.
Play design or not, wasn't it a pseudo audible or whatever you want to call it that produced the Cooper bomb against Philly? He just is NOT the 4th quarter Philly Dak all the time. That was an outlier.

He is what he is.

Tape don't lie.

slomoxn

Reaction score
Even if I have faith in the team stepping up, I have no faith in these coaches. The coaches are the main reason this team has not won in their playoff attempts. Not capable of getting to the next level required to win in the playoffs. I believe the team itself is though.

GMO415

Reaction score
Seems like a prime example of Sour Grapes, but very often on this message board and elsewhere you will see some Cowboys fans saying, "Oh well, even if we make the playoffs, we'll just be one-and-done, so it makes no difference."
Considering we have to play a 1st place schedule next year including NO and LA, we better win it all this year, because I doubt if it happens next year.