Do some Cowboys fans really think one-and-done is the same as missing the playoffs?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
What? No Cowboys fan is rooting to be one and done just because it's normally the case.

If we made the playoffs and lost early it'd be nice if we built off of it, but we never do.

'07 - Homefield advantage one and done....
'08 - missed playoffs
'09 - Win wildcard game and then lose to Vikings ...
'10 - Wade is fired mid-season and we miss playoffs
'11 - Lose season finale 'win or go home' game
'12 - Lose season finale 'win or go home' game
'13 - Lose season finale 'win or go home' game
'14 - Win wildcard then lose to GB
'15 - Miss playoffs
'16 - Homefield and then one and done
'17 - Miss playoffs
'18 - ?

Starting in Garrett's first full year in 2011 we've had 6 do or die 'win or go home' games (playoffs or season finale) and we're 1-5 in them.

No one is rooting for that, it's just fact.
No but they're just complaining about it in advance, complaining about something that hasn't even happened yet. We have 2 games before the playoffs even start, but there are people that have been complaining about this team all season, not previous teams or other years being one and done this year. You have already started complaining for next year because it's a foregone conclusion in your mind that we will always suck.

I have never seen any fan base complain as much as this one, even after we win a game or have a winning streak. They'll complain about anything and everything and then they'll complain about things that even haven't happened or didn't happen. I guess if people keep complaining that we will will lose, they will eventually be right and perhaps they find some kind of solace in that. We make the playoffs and anything can still happen. If I've learned anything about football, it's anything can happen, especially after watching this whole season, no team looks invincible and all have had bad moments. Even if we somehow won the Super Bowl, there will be people starting threads complaining moments afterwards and listing stats about why we won't win the following year. I don't get the rush on wanting to hop on the misery train, there will be plenty of seats later.

043f9c410274025470639216618bda23.jpg

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Seems like a prime example of Sour Grapes, but very often on this message board and elsewhere you will see some Cowboys fans saying, "Oh well, even if we make the playoffs, we'll just be one-and-done, so it makes no difference."

Sure, maybe they are hoping that the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs, so that Garrett and Linehan are fired. That is a rational motive, and I hope to see the Clap and Linehan both gone - but that isn't what these fans are saying; they're saying anything less than a Super Bowl championship, is all equal in terms of failure.

Don't know how many fans think this way, but IMHO there is a very clear difference between failure to make the playoffs, and making the playoffs but losing the first playoff game. The latter is still more of a success than the former. Otherwise, are people arguing there literally is no difference, success-wise, between 2015 and 2016?

There is also a clear difference in making it to the playoffs and competing, and making it into the playoffs to be blown away and shown that you didn't deserve to be there in the first place. Getting completely destroyed on wildcard weekend is a lot more painful that just missing the playoffs. It brings with it the reality of just how far off you were from the elite teams.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
As Cowboys fans, anything other than a SB is a joke. One and done is only tolerable when it shows you made progress from last year.

I would add to that, that you made it a good game where you had a chance to win and advance. One and done when you get blown away with something like 40-7 is never good.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
What big playoff wins have they had in decades? They can’t even get past a divisional round,and no one is interested in some ugly Lions type outing,or another GB late game heartbreaker. Thus...win something,or don’t bother. Even Jerry is tired of the dismal playoff performances,and it’s not enough to just be a special guest star participant to be killed off in the opening of the show.

links18

Reaction score
Seems like a prime example of Sour Grapes, but very often on this message board and elsewhere you will see some Cowboys fans saying, "Oh well, even if we make the playoffs, we'll just be one-and-done, so it makes no difference."

Sure, maybe they are hoping that the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs, so that Garrett and Linehan are fired. That is a rational motive, and I hope to see the Clap and Linehan both gone - but that isn't what these fans are saying; they're saying anything less than a Super Bowl championship, is all equal in terms of failure.

Don't know how many fans think this way, but IMHO there is a very clear difference between failure to make the playoffs, and making the playoffs but losing the first playoff game. The latter is still more of a success than the former. Otherwise, are people arguing there literally is no difference, success-wise, between 2015 and 2016?

Only one team wins the Super Bowl every year. For the rest, its about evaluating the trajectory of the team. What do you think that is after 8 years of Clap?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Why wouldn't Cowboys fans think that? Why wouldn't any team's fan think that? 12 teams have to make the playoffs regardless of record. Teams have made the playoffs with a losing record. In many instances, a playoff appearance is as much a result of someone else's failures and it is a team's own success.

Making the playoffs isn't always an accomplishment. Winning in the playoffs is. IMO, there's a big difference between going out in the Wildcard Round versus going out in the Divisional Round.

jnday

Reaction score

During the Landry years, Cowboy fans expected playoff success and only Super Bowl wins was considered a great season. Times have certainly changed and the Cowboy fanbase has lower expectations today than at anytime in team history.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
This is like Wade Phillips saying a 1st round bye is like a playoff win :laugh:

Verdict

Reaction score

It's not the same. People who say that it is the same, in my opinion, are morons.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Dak and his agent will walk into Jerry's office and say "we've been underpaid and have won the nfc east 2 times. We will take a 5 year 125mm extension."

Yay.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

only morons see it as the same

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
And then there are the people who would except playoff failure, explaining it as being the fault of anyone not named Dak Prescott as well.

if it is entirely his fault by all means blame the guy. But for crying out loud when you blame him for every petty crap, blown up play it is beyond derangement with you haters. Hell criticize him but have some objectivity instead of just hating him.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
In order to have a chance at making the Super Bowl, you've got to make the playoffs. So the Cowboys have a chance to make the Super Bowl.
But if the spirit of Joe Montana (heck, I'll take the spirit of Jeff Hostetler) doesn't inhabit Dak's body, we'll be one-and-done.

slomoxn

Reaction score
No but it doesn’t mean any coaches besides defense deserve an extension.

slomoxn

Reaction score
Even my secretary who doesn’t watch football AT ALL nor her husband shakes her head at me each year as I walk around telling everyone this year is out year. She says I’m worse than a person in an abusive relationship cause I keep going back for more.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
It must be a generational thing, anything less than playing in the conference championship game and winning is a failure, if the fan base accept anything less than the Superbowl it should be viewed as failure, do not buy into Jerry's sick mentality of "this team is special" every year, participation trophies are for losers and losing has been the key word around here the last 20 years. This doesn't mean you can't enjoy the games,Cubs, Red Sox, Browns still have a lot of fans, who knows Jerry may get lucky and get to the Superbowl some year but with him as GM it would be blind luck, enjoy the game, if there is a playoff game in the future we will see starting today. Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas, My Fellow Forum member & respectfully considered Friend,,,,

While it would fulfill an omnipresent overwhelming urge to render the tribute of a "LIKE" upon yer' post, Unfortunately, Sadly & Alas, had to go& jabber-jaw agin' our FOOTBALLISH FIGUREHEAD of FATED FATHERDOM,,,that's right SPORTIN FANS yer' whimsical fanish short hairs are in his gambler's leathern poke sack,,, thereforth,,,er,,, my mandatory firewall of infiltrate/ex filtration remains impervious ,,,o_O

( no "likely" fer' you today ,due to disparaging remarks cast agin' yer' very own short-n-fuzzies FATHERLY FORTRESSED IN FOOTBALLISH FASHION,,, CUZ' LIKE IT or NOT,,, JERREL WAYNE JONES,,, IS OUR football DADDY-0!:hammer:

:oldcouple::yourock::oldcouple:

* dissention AMONGST the ranks Are currently deemed treasonous to the FANDOM FAITHFUL, ya know,,,o_O