Do the Cowboys even have a plan?

iRepDatStar

Reaction score
The plan for Byron clearly was to let him walk for a 3rd round compensatory. So that really isn't the same as letting him walk for nothing in return as some of you guys are trying to suggest. Some of you as Cowboys fans should have known that out of the 3 (dak coop byron) that Byron was the odd man out. It's weird that some of the know it alls on this board dont even understand this simple concept. Not that the front office shouldn't be questioned but it shouldn't questioned by those who can't even grasp whats going on.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That still doesn't make the Cowboys a better team. Besides, I don't think Cobb was over paid.
Oh my gosh. McCarthy will coach circles around Garrett. You don't think the defense or the leagues worst special teams will be any better?

It doesn't matter if you or I think Cobb was overpaid. Either he was and the Cowboys didn't want to match, or McCarthy didn't want him on the roster.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
One of the most frequent criticisms I've been hearing consistently about our FO is that they appear to lack direction. They also seem to do things that do not necessarily fit into any set idea of what would best be a workable mix of talent to incorporate into a set scheme for both the offense and the defense. I suppose what I'm actually saying, in effect, is that they generally seem to lack a "feel" for making workable football decisions. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What is the team building strategy of this franchise? Are we a defensive team, running team, passing team, what is the strategy? Its seems the FO just goes year to year with little thought about strategy or long term thinking.

We trade for Cooper and then he walks into FA. So was that a one year desperate move to try and win THAT year? Seams like the QB is entering his prime and the passing game is taking over and then they resign Zeke to a long term huge contract.

Aikman has commented that it doesnt seem like the franchise has a plan.

All these core guys they wait too long to sign them and when they we get nothing. Why not trade them before they become FA's?

Here's all the proof we need that you're crying the sky is falling.and it's not Cooper didn't walk away he was RESIGNED. It never fails that when the Cowboys get some talent a wannabe GM starts the we could trade this player or that player before their contract is up just so they won't have to negotiate with them.

Silly

Reaction score
What is the team building strategy of this franchise? Are we a defensive team, running team, passing team, what is the strategy? Its seems the FO just goes year to year with little thought about strategy or long term thinking?

They have been trying to put the triplets back together for years. That is the plan.

willia451

Reaction score
Sure. Here it is.

LatprHk.jpg

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
The plan is to field a team and act like they're going to contend.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
They kinda salvaged things by retaining Cooper but ideally we would have gotten the Dak contract done so we could have tagged and traded Byron Jones. We could have gotten at least a 2nd for him.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Let's face it, Jerry and Stephen simply aren't negotiators. They have no confidence in what they're doing, so they hesitate endlessly and end up waiting until it's too late to make timely decisions. They seem to prove it with their attempts to play chicken. Maybe for them to be waiting until the last hour as they do at the negotiating table has alienated the players and their agents. Does it backfire on them when they panic and cave in? It does seem to.

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
What is the team building strategy of this franchise? Are we a defensive team, running team, passing team, what is the strategy? Its seems the FO just goes year to year with little thought about strategy or long term thinking.

We trade for Cooper and then he walks into FA. So was that a one year desperate move to try and win THAT year? Seams like the QB is entering his prime and the passing game is taking over and then they resign Zeke to a long term huge contract.

All these core guys they wait too long to sign them and when they we get nothing. Why not trade them before they become FA's?

offense first .

D gets the left overs.

Flamma

Reaction score
Oh my gosh. McCarthy will coach circles around Garrett. You don't think the defense or the leagues worst special teams will be any better?

It doesn't matter if you or I think Cobb was overpaid. Either he was and the Cowboys didn't want to match, or McCarthy didn't want him on the roster.

I think just about any coaching staff is better than Garrett. I'm just not sure he'll be that much better.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They do have a plan. They plan in being the #1 NFL team in profit, ratings, revenue and value.

Since they are not held accountable, they do not have to plan for the future. They can wait every off season and formulate a short term plan based on the situation at that time. They will, occasionally, try to extend a player before the contract runs out as they tried with Prescott and succeeded with Smith.

I do not believe THE salary cap plan exists for the Cowboys. That's the plan whereby all of the positions are laid out in order of importance with a max value attached to each which is governed by the cap change each season. With any player in red should he be a possibility of exceeding his assigned cap value, like a RG named Martin for example. The plan would dictate players in red must have decisions made on them now so not to impact the future in a negative fashion.

The plan would be based on maxing out the cap but a funny thing happened on our way to the forum. All this time we think they're maxing that cap out with the best players they can get and not only are we wrong about that, they are the cheapest team since 2016. They're not taking advantage of a QB, RB, CB and DE over performing their contracts to make a move, they decide instead to save that money and keep it for themselves.

There is no plan as the question posed by the OP. The only plan is above in bold.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Of course they have.

Do you follow Forbes ?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The plan was to win last year and Garrett/Marinelli nuked it.

Now there is no plan. There is just a mad scramble to cobble together a team and hope McCarthy can do something with it. Right now, we are just hoping for a fantastic draft . . . for really no reason other than the fact that hope springs eternal.