Do the Cowboys extend Dak before Jordan Love gets his extension?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
And yet i have more confidence in Love getting better and being more of an impact, than i do Dak. He has reached his ceiling and all he has is downside. Now you gonna give him more? Heck if i'm Dak i am not gonna decline more money. but it is so stupid by the FO. Oh well, if he signs, just like the groundhog, six weeks of more wintry weather.
Definitely. I would kill to have somebody like Love behind center. Young, athletic, and looking like the lightbulb is coming on for him.

Instead we are going into year 9 with a QB that can't win a big game.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And yet i have more confidence in Love getting better and being more of an impact, than i do Dak. He has reached his ceiling and all he has is downside. Now you gonna give him more? Heck if i'm Dak i am not gonna decline more money. but it is so stupid by the FO. Oh well, if he signs, just like the groundhog, six weeks of more wintry weather.
you're delusional if you think jordan love will be better than a top 1-0 qb or an mvp candidate date with top three stats all of 2023....in fact his own fans, media, and others the first half of the season we're questioning everything he was doing.. they turned it around, be he sat for 3 years as 1st rounder and learned from the best and struggled the first part of the season and finally played well with 2 really good RBs, and good coaching and solid D..yet aginst the same team also has 2 INTs and one cost them the game! sat for 3 years knew this offense backwards and forwards before they ;let him play..

hmm umm OK Daks a 4th rounder who out of the gate didn't sit and learn thrust into the field and was 13-3 11 in row ROTY and played WELL agiant GB..his d failed him...Nice talent eval here got to luv the so called experts..

if you believe Love is going to hit a higher ceiling you might be hater because YOU DO NOT KNOW THIS!!! you all want anyone BUT DAK! that's the issue.. sure would be nice for dak to gave a good run game, solid OL and defense all in the same playoff game. those games he typically WINS!

perrykemp

Reaction score
if you believe Love is going to hit a higher ceiling you might be hater because YOU DO NOT KNOW THIS!!! you all want anyone BUT DAK!
I'm not a Dak hater in the least, however, it's pretty clear Love is a better athlete with a stronger arm, more in-pocket mobility, and the ability to throw off-platform in ways Dak just can't. Doesn't mean Dak isn't a good QB.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Definitely. I would kill to have somebody like Love behind center. Young, athletic, and looking like the lightbulb is coming on for him.

Instead we are going into year 9 with a QB that can't win a big game.
trey_lance.jpg

Kwyn

Reaction score
Go take a look at spotrac. 2024 is a potential out for the Cowboys. Dak has a $5M roster bonus on March 17th and his $34M salary becomes guaranteed on March 17.

Designating Dak a June 1st cut saves $30-some million on the cap in 2024 and causes a dead cap hit of something like $25M in 2024 and $25M in 2025. That is easy to deal with when you have Lance on a cheap contract for 2024 and can bring Cooper Rush back pretty cheaply.

Too easy actually.
This is how you go from 12-5 to 7-10
If a pick in the 12-15 range somehow gets you a future elite franchise QB (good luck), maybe you then do the full rebuild and trade/cut every good player in the roster.

But, more likely, you get some dare to spare semi-project QB and go into the NFL wasteland of 4-8 wins a year for the foreseeable future.

Not saying change isn’t needed but people need to have their eyes open and know that a “rebuild” may take a decade.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
This is how you go from 12-5 to 7-10
If a pick in the 12-15 range somehow gets you a future elite franchise QB (good luck), maybe you then do the full rebuild and trade/cut every good player in the roster.

But, more likely, you get some dare to spare semi-project QB and go into the NFL wasteland of 4-8 wins a year for the foreseeable future.
Well, what if there is no drop off from Dak to Lance or Rush? Then there is no change in record.

I think Lance and Rush can do more with a few more CB pieces than Dak can do with a few less pieces. Dak’s salary is keeping the team from adding a few more pieces.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Love looked great against a Cowboys defense that played horribly in his first playoff start.

Then Love looked below average against an elite defense in San Fran.

Wow, does this sound familiar........
Love nearly beat the vaunted all world San Fran as a first time starter. Think about that for a second. Every time Dak's faced this type of competition this year, it's a complete annihilation.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Well, what if there is no drop off from Dak to Lance or Rush? Then there is no change in record.

I think Lance and Rush can do more with a few more CB pieces than Dak can do with a few less pieces. Dak’s salary is keeping the team from adding a few more pieces.
If you truly believe that Rush or Lance can lead this team to 12 wins, then I don’t know what to say.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Love nearly beat the vaunted all world San Fran as a first time starter. Think about that for a second. Every time Dak's faced this type of competition this year, it's a complete annihilation.
Not absolving Dak of the blame, but how did the entire Cowboys team look against that type of competition? If it was just Dak it would be a much easier fix.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Not absolving Dak of the blame, but how did the entire Cowboys team look against that type of competition? If it was just Dak it would be a much easier fix.
Right now I'm specifically talking about the QB position.

Aven8

Reaction score
Upside of the Packers sitting Love for 3 years is he came into the NFL basically ready and it showed, especially down the stretch where he threw 23 TDs vs 3 INTs.

Downside is they lost 3 years of a QB on a rookie contract and move into Love’s 2nd year as a starter with a hurge contract. Would be surprised to see him get $55-60M/year.
But they got 3 more years of Rogers, two #1 seeds and back to back MVP’s. They just couldn’t finish

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
If BoZo would of extended Dak when he was eligible. We wouldn't be in Cap "hell" to begin with. If I'm Dak I wouldn't give Jerry 'it'!!!! Neither would any fan in here if in the same spot.

glimmerman

Reaction score

Will be a mistake. Dak has more talent. I think love has more O-Line talent around him. But niners have a defense and a dc that can adjust and put the clamps on. That’s why they beat 7th seed packers. We should have been able to beat the brakes off packers. Pressure either qb and they have nothing. Instead we can’t stop the run and we can’t run so pressure is on Dak to throw 60 times a game..

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
If you truly believe that Rush or Lance can lead this team to 12 wins, then I don’t know what to say.
What was the Cowboy’s record with Rush at QB?

Also, the NFC East will be weaker this year in my opinion. Washington needs a QB and a lot more, Giants are a hot mess, and Philly is imploding.

I definitely think the Cowboys can win the NFC East with Lance/Rush.

khiladi

Reaction score
Love looked great against a Cowboys defense that played horribly in his first playoff start.

Then Love looked below average against an elite defense in San Fran.

Wow, does this sound familiar........
It was raining…. Dak sucks in the sun on the road.. and he got blown out by the 49ers this year. Love made the Cowboys defense look bad, unlike Dak whose never made a good defense look bad. Plus, GB was up in the 4th..

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Doesn't Love have a 5th year option to see if he can prove it?
GB didn't want to pick it up so they gave him a two-year extension before the 2023 season that they could void if he flopped.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
What was the Cowboy’s record with Rush at QB?
4-0 when the opponent scored 17 or less, 0-1 when they scored more. The 2022 Cowboys averaged over a TD more per game with Dak than with Rush.

That's why when Rush was a FA after the 2022 season no one was foolish enough to make him their starter, and he came back to Dallas.