Do the Cowboys have enough pass rushers?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Unfortunately what you see is what you get.

Whatever is currently on the roster, ..and whatever comes up in undrafted and current practice squad.

it's one of the reasons why i am not as optimistic about Zimm's defense as we haven't given him him the tools and
neccessities he really needs on defense vs top offensive teams we'll face, imo.

Same goes for the run defense DTs as well.

Dlaw is not a sack guy, .. pressures, run D' holla on the sideline, practice field and locker room, but i don't expect very much
it's gonna be Parsons and Williams ..and maybe Osa in the interior as the real pass rushers
People forget that Williams had a streak of 3 str8 games with a sack during the reg season. and he struggled with a nagging turf toe
at season's start. ,

I just have to see with Breeland, maybe he'll be a rookie pleasant surprise.
Think Kneeland will eventually become similar player to DLaw, not an elite pass rusher, but more of a balanced player who doesn't always show up on the box score. Sam Williams is the guy who has to step up in a major way. I also am very concerned about the DT position as a whole.

As for Zimmer, think his scheme will create less sacks, turnovers, but better against the run and have less penalties.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They should have played Sam Williams more and Fowler less last season.
- They often had 11 DL active on game day with Quinn as DC.
- They normaly had 8 active when Marinelli was the DC.
- It will likely be about 9 with Zimmer.
I feel Zimmer's scheme is going to be far more conservative then Quinn's. Quinn ran many twists/stunts to create more pressure, but opened up huge rushing lanes in the process. Zimmer is going to play more read and react, then play the run on the way to the QB so to speak.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel Zimmer's scheme is going to be far more conservative then Quinn's. Quinn ran many twists/stunts to create more pressure, but opened up huge rushing lanes in the process. Zimmer is going to play more read and react, then play the run on the way to the QB so to speak.
Quinn was better than Marinelli with regards to those issues but seemed to get more and more obsessed with pass rush each season and less concerned with run defense.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is my big concern for the defense going into the year. Armstrong/Fowler had the #2 and #4 sack totals for the team last year.

I think they are going to end up depending on OSA and LBs to take up more sacks this year. I just don’t see it coming as consistently from the edge players aside from Micah this year
Agreed. I look for Zimmer to have Overshown and the Rookie Marist to get a few sacks. Because frankly we really do not have much depth in the Pass Rushing department.

I also do not think Zimmer will be as attacking as Quinn was. I think he will be more conservative and try to play more run defense. It will be a bend dont break Defense imo.

I also imagine that the INTs will go down this season as well.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Quinn was better than Marinelli with regards to those issues but seemed to get more and more obsessed with pass rush each season and less concerned with run defense.
Teams have taken advantage of the Cowboys over aggression rushing the passer. This defense really needs to get back to the basics, like setting the edge, knowing their run fits, etc. Once they become successful on the early downs, then they can start being creative rushing the passer.

shabazz

Reaction score
Two quality pass rushers departed to Washington with Dan Quinn in Armstrong, Fowler. All the Cowboys have added is a small schooled prospect who is considered more of a run stopper in Kneeland. Yes, Sam Williams is expected to take on a larger role, but he has been untrustworthy in the past.

There are a few free agents that certainly can help as rotational pieces: Ngakoue, Lawson and a few others.
Do the Cowboys have enough run stoppers?....may be more important.